INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request DFF -> DSF conversion on Mac  (Read 5050 times)

couchjr

• World Citizen
Feature request DFF -> DSF conversion on Mac
« on: January 26, 2014, 12:53:30 pm »

Ted Brady over on Computer Audiophile is singing the praises of doing DFF -> DSF conversions in MC. (Apparently in the "Convert to" format options under "Convert Format" on the Windows side there is "DSD" option which outputs DSF).

If you could implement this on the Mac side, and especially if in doing the conversion it does not strip commas from filenames as Audiogate does when it converts DFF files to DSF, I'd be very grateful. I'm doing a large archiving project and have several thousand DFF files to convert to DSF and import into MC via mpl files.

Alternatively, and more ambitiously, if you could implement features to extract dual and multichannel DSF files directly from ISOs without truncating frames at track ends as Mr. Wicked's sacd_extract seems to do, that would be even better. Retaining album folder groupings, of course.

But since you already offer DSF conversion on the Windows side, I'd love to see that soon, if possible.

Thanks!

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature request DFF -> DSF conversion on Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 04:45:36 am »

Even if you had the option, I would not recommend this.

Media Center's DSD conversions go to PCM first, and then into your desired output format, therefore it's a lossy process.
It's not the same as moving PCM audio from FLAC to ALAC, where it's just moved into a different format and the audio itself is untouched.

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 08:44:09 am »

2manyrobots offers a free DFF to DSF converter. Also worth checking out their paid app, Yate – an amazing Mac music file tagger (works with DSF files too), makes automating complex tagging a snap, and they also are incredibly responsive to customer feature requests.

ted_b

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:27:53 am »

Even if you had the option, I would not recommend this.

Media Center's DSD conversions go to PCM first, and then into your desired output format, therefore it's a lossy process.
It's not the same as moving PCM audio from FLAC to ALAC, where it's just moved into a different format and the audio itself is untouched.

In MC 19 Windows, where do you see that taking DFF and converting it to DSF (MC's only DSD option other than 2X, of course) first converts DFF to PCM (and at what sample rate?)?

Edit: I moved this question to the Windows 19 forum.  Sorry for hijacking.  (BTW, I think you're right..thanks  :) )

HFX-Maik

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 06:12:00 pm »

For Mac there is a free tool called DFF2DSF, which converts DFF to DSF.

For Windows we offer a free tool called DFF-to-DSF-Converter, which converts DFF Files into DSF easily and without any quality loss (no conversion via PCM).
It is just adding the header for saving metadata. You can convert DSD64 and DSD128 Files of any size. No limitations.
The DFF-to-DSF Converter works with Windows 7, Windows 8 and WHS 2011.
Download here:
http://www.hfx.at/index.php?option=com_rsfiles&view=files&layout=download&path=software%2FDFF-Converter.zip&Itemid=159

Pages: [1]   Go Up