INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC19.131 and 141: Changes in Tags not Permanent  (Read 2171 times)

sdas

• Recent member
MC19.131 and 141: Changes in Tags not Permanent
« on: July 18, 2014, 02:30:08 am »

Say you have added a new album in  the MC19 via import. Now, let's say the album is a compilation (Best of Grammys for example) where all the artists are different and all the genres are different. When MC19 gets cover art and the track details, (say Gracenote or wherever) this one album gets listed many times with the individual songs. Quiet normal. However I want this entire album and all its songs always grouped together under one album name, one genre, thus when I call for the album all songs are there for listening. What I do is change the Tags. I select all the songs together and say Various Artist or Multiple artist for that one album. with all the tracks of the album selected, I also retag the genre and a single genre, say Jazz or Rock or whatever. This makes the album remain in one place all tracks together. OK, so everybody knows this, why a new thread. Here's why..
Recently I am having some issues for which I had to reinstall MC19 and reload my library all over again. Mind you, before this my entire library of 45,000 tracks were properly tagged and everything was in place.
Upon re-importing the very same library from the very same source, all the tags went back to what it was originally. I have had to re-tag them again. Now imagine doing this for such a large number of tracks.
Question: Once tagged as per my choice, this should result in a permanent change in the tags. This is not so. It's as if all the changes are stored in a different file, and connected to the track location. To give a parallel: In iTunes, you make any tag changes, I can see that change in the original file or folder as well. Any future re-importing now will have the new tags. In MC19, if you loose your library (like I did) you loose your tags as well.
So, am I doing something wrong or what?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC19.131 and 141: Changes in Tags not Permanent
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 02:41:23 am »

Try editing the Album Artist tag.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 08:32:38 am »

Check Tools>Options>General>Importing & Tagging----Update tags when file info changes is checked.

sdas

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 12:52:38 am »

Confirming that "Update Tags when file info changes" is checked by default. I have not unchecked it.

sdas

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 12:56:06 am »

Try editing the Album Artist tag.

I always tag the Album Artist. I also change the Genre. Both are back to original state if re-imported.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 07:52:34 am »

Since at least March, if not earlier, I haven't had many tag changes written to my files either.
Seems like a bug.

sdas, why are you re-importing files rather than restoring the previous library? Media Center should automatically create backups.

And you can use Tools → Library Tools → Update Tags (from library) to force tag changes to be written to the files.
Be warned though, it does not prompt for confirmation to perform this action - something which needs to be addressed ASAP.

sdas

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 07:26:35 am »

Since at least March, if not earlier, I haven't had many tag changes written to my files either.
Seems like a bug.

sdas, why are you re-importing files rather than restoring the previous library? Media Center should automatically create backups.

And you can use Tools → Library Tools → Update Tags (from library) to force tag changes to be written to the files.
Be warned though, it does not prompt for confirmation to perform this action - something which needs to be addressed ASAP.

Refer to another of my post titled: JRiver MC19 deleting my computer. That's why I had to re-import as the library did not exist. I will do as you advised. Let's see what happens. Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up