INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spreading the word on MJ  (Read 3926 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
Spreading the word on MJ
« on: February 16, 2002, 06:22:15 am »

I've closed the old thread called "MJ and World Domination".  It was getting to take too long to load and we we're taking some heat for trying to dominate the world before we had our act together.

There were lots of great ideas on how to let people know about MJ.  Web sites, word of mouth, other forums, contests, mousepads, t-shirts, window stickers, hats, lingerie, and MJ branded beer and taco chips, among others.  Thanks!  But don't stop now.  How about putting an MJ surf board on the moon by the end of the decade?  Any ideas welcome.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Alonso Nefarious

RE:Spreading the word on MJ
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2002, 07:05:21 am »

Bundle MJ on next (copy protected) Metalica CD.

Sounds obvious, but work on the reviewers.  MJ's review on CNET is not so hot.  Interface mostly.  Sometimes you have to listen to the (not so bright) masses, and sometimes you have to work to adjust their expectations.  Try to find out exactly what the reviewers did not like, change some things, try to make your point (change their minds) on others.  The MJLite idea has merit, but not as 'crippleware' because that will just drive people the wrong way, but how about as a set of set up defaults that are 'lite-ened ' and some thought of what the 'MJ Way' is setting things up to lead people that way.  That way they will not feel so lost or intimidated as newbies.

For instance some time was spent on another thread with a dude who (temporarily) hated MJ because he thought all his songs had to be ordered in playlists.  Which is precisely wrong.

Let's take a poll and find out where we go for music (or media) information, then make sure that MJ is well liked at those places.  Not proselytizing, but listening first, then working on expectations, then come launch time tailoring the pitch to blow expectations away.  

For instance I regularly look in at:
www.cd-rw.org
www.r3mix.net
www.lockergnome.com
www.mp3machine.com
cnet

We need a message that works.  That way we can help set expectations among the opinion makers.  For instance:  It's clear that MJ is not known far and wide, but most who know it love it.  It's the tool for those who love their music collections, and want the best for them.  It's also the tool that can help take many steps, and several applications out of the work flow.  For instance PhotoShop is not the easiest image tool, but it is the most well respected.

The idea of getting the userbase involved in making MJ pretty before launch with a contest is a great one.

The v8 launch is a great opportunity to change perceptions.  Don't miss it.

The suggestion to change name to distance yourself from MusicMatch resonated with me.

-Alonso

deerhunter

• World Citizen
  • self employed
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2002, 07:16:49 am »

I love the program but you can sure waste a lot of time trying to figure it out. I think you should have three versions. A lite to get people started. An "easy" version that would have all the features needed but not so many choices. It would be rock solid and imposssible to screw up. Finally the "expert" version with all the bells and whistles for those who live for their music files.
deerhunter

Juspassin

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2002, 08:22:01 am »

I agree wholeheartedly with Deerhunter.
I've already got a CD ripper - I own Audiograbber. I've already got an editor - I own CEP. I've already got a burner - I use Acoustica. I'm happy with them all. What I haven't got and want is a decent 'Playlist generator'. Media Jukebox seems to have the things that others have missed. At the moment I put up with manually creating playlists. I'd rather have a program do it for me. Sonic Foundry's Siren is neck & neck with MJ for my requirements - but I prefer the look of MJ. But, as with both programs, give me the option of 'dumping' the clutter! Please!

hvyduty

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2002, 12:19:51 pm »

I have to agree with some of the other users in the last thread the help file would really be great.  I bought 7.2 a year ago and used 6 for a while still havn't used all the options in MJ. Most people don't like to go to a board to ask questions they have to read it two or three times (me five or six) so what ever it's worth support is a big deal if not why does Dell and the others harp the are number one in support and all the mag's rate support while I am at it the license issue should be resolved people don't read everything they just D/L and get with it. This is one top dog program if you are an expert everything is fine the average user don't know how to use it and I can tell you they are not going to ask on this board. My two cents  get the help file best advertising you can get and work on the license problem it only takes one person to bad mouth the program even though (they are wrong) it hurts the sales as I said most people don't even know how to use MJ other than a jukebox and you can get them free. There is so many outstanding features in MJ if people just knew how to use them

zevele1

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2002, 03:18:19 am »

here my 2 shekells
A lite version fo who?A free lite version?Mister average will not pay for a jukebox.Mister average will run RealJukebox,WindowsPlayer.RealJukebox is out now,so mister average will run any free/spyware jukebox.He has already around 123 spywares on is machine ,so........For mister average,the best jukebox is the one who gives him songs names for his "best dance belly musics" he got in Turkey last summer.A free ligth version?This will coast a lot to JRiver.You do not see B.M.W or Porches doing publicity in the Bronx or to jobless people.
You do not expect people with the full serie"hook on classic" to listen to Wagner,Malher,Stravinsky
MediaJukebox is not an average jukebox for average people.It is THE JUKEBOX for people knowing better than to ripe 5 cds.JH is right to speak about the Winamp users.But hardcore users,who use all the plungings,they will master the use of MediaJukebox in a minute.Interact will get a lot of"what the f###,i cannot use the ser456X4 pluging,are you  d..."
I see MediaJukebox as a hight-end product-except for the price-To get most of the share of this market is  a more realistic goal than to be on every mister average pc

tullio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2002, 06:12:33 am »

[message deleted in error -- sorry -- JimH]

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2002, 06:50:03 am »

tullio

Not in Vain I read it, JimH is trigger happy with the delete key today.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

MHorton

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2002, 10:37:30 am »

JimH

In other recent threads, the lack of a return policy was brought up by a handful of people. Have you considered a disclaimer when purchasing such as the following, which a buyer musy accept prior to purchasing:

Totalidea Software Return Policy

>>> Details on prices and license information on the next page. Read the 'Return policy' below and click on 'I Accept' to view the price and license information page.

Before you place an order for a Totalidea Software product, you must accept the following

Return policy:

Before deciding to purchase our software, please be sure to download, install, and test-drive the evaluation versions that we provide.
We do not offer refunds on software where the unlock code has already been sent to the customer. We go to great lengths to produce a trial version with which customers can ensure their satisfaction and system compatibility. This allows them to make an informed purchasing decision. Once that purchase has been made, we do not offer a cash refund. We feel this policy is consistent with the major software retailers nationwide.
You must testdrive our software before you decide to buy it !
Please acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed to the above conditions.
By clicking 'I Accept' button you do confirm that

you've downloaded and tested the trial version(s) of the software product(s) you wish to purchase
you've checked our product(s) for system compatibility with your own PC system and configuration.
To enter the order site, you must click 'I Accept'.

tullio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2002, 12:25:30 pm »

I'm crushed, mortified, insulted, chagrinned, outraged, deflated, humiliated, and an 8 letter word for hurt.  I almost never post to these boards, and one of my few attempts is summarily dismissed.  I'll just take my pension check and go home.  So there!

JimH

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2002, 12:35:28 pm »

It wasn't on purpose.  Please come out of retirement and re-post it if you're willing.
Jim Hillegass

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2002, 01:04:05 pm »

tullio

LOL

Don't feel bad, he has deleted 1-2 of mine in the past 2 days

sometimes it is like the OK Corral around here

Wyatt Earp
Fayetteville, NC, USA

elpaolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2002, 02:03:50 pm »

I think Alonso is right on.
A practical approach is affecting the net communities you frequent most often.

My list...

cnet
slashdot.org
epitonic.com
emusic.com

In regards to the last one, I already e-mailed them months ago to get MJ on the list of suggested media players.  Not sure if it's gone through yet, but they said they'd "look into it".

Now, Jim, I know you might not like this, but changing the logo might even be the best place to start in gaining more recognition.  I know when I first looked in MJ, I was turned off by the jukebox.  Visually, I'm more a minimalist, so my suggestion -- if there's even any debate -- is to redesign the MJ logo into something even a class doodler to doodle in their notebook.  Ach, I don't know.  I just know that's been on my mind ever since I started using MJ.  If everyone really likes it, I'll just put a sock in it.  This is meant to be constructive...

"Ich bin der Revolution."

starflyer

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2002, 02:10:38 pm »

>>changing the logo
I kind of like the logo
Fayetteville, NC, USA

e_to_the_x

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2002, 02:18:06 pm »

Media Jukebox Rocks!
Jukeboxes on Surfboards Suck!

'nuff said

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2002, 02:24:05 pm »

How About a Jukebox on a Sake board?

How About a Jukebox on a Bike?

How About a Jukebox on a Binge Rope?
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2002, 03:48:39 pm »

I'm rather ambivalent towards the logo, to be honest. I could take it or leave it.

But if it's going to stay, I say use it more... for instance, the standard MJ icon (for Windows shortcut, MJ associated files, and the system tray) is really ugly. MJ's main logo, however, is much nicer. It would make a great icon for all of the things I listed above.

As a userbase, we have to come to grips with the fact that MJ was designed by engineers, not artists.

Hvy Duty

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2002, 03:51:17 pm »

How about a tip file on how to use MJ

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2002, 04:05:52 pm »

>> How about a tip file on how to use MJ <<

Lise is working on that.
That's right.
I'm cool.

dragyn

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2002, 05:17:12 pm »

>As a userbase, we have to come to grips with the fact that MJ was designed by engineers, not artists.

Then it's time to get some artists. Isn't there someone that does just graphics there? I do agree that most ppl base a windows program on appearance and the icons do need some work. I tried to do some at one time but I'm not good with graphics. I asked this once before but what if someone, either from this board or whereever, did make some high color icons, would you consider using them?

Also, most ppl just don't know what MJ can do. They run it, play with it for 5mins, and then it's back to what they had. If they actually spend some time with it and learn somethin', I bet they would switch. I know on some install programs, it shows some basics before even running the program.

Oh and I still ain't painting jukeboxes on my car...so don't even go there. heh Next Page
I did however linked this site from my home page and mentioned Media Jukebox. Hope it helps a little.

tullio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2002, 06:08:45 pm »

Here's a re-attempt at my feeble suggestion.  As one who reached geezerhood some time ago, I really value MJ's Mega-Me interface.  It's the only one I can read easily.  Because I play with graphics, photos, and video, I use a high monitor resolution.  So the miniscule print in all those cute, hi-tech displays is absolutely unreadable without magnification.  And the Windows-type screens and commands are comfortingly familiar.  AS someone who looks for specific music for specific purposes--video backgrounds, get-well collections (I do a lot of these), MJ's organizational tools are perfect.  Of course it's got all kinds of bells I'll never ring and whistles I can't blow, but who cares?  It's easy to read and it does what I want it to do and does it well.

As the boomers slouch reluctantly into the Age of Wisdom (accompanied by our fervent prayers that it takes hold), MJ might consider playing this angle to them.  You don't have to tout it as yet another prosthetic device, but mentioning that it's the most geriatric friendly program out there wouldn't hurt.  When all those war babies turn their presbyopic eyes toward the screen, and those pretty metallic spiders begin to look like so many blurry chocolate chip cookies, MJ can be their salvation.

All kidding aside, it really is easier for us old guys to use (visually) than any other similar application (and I think I've tried them all), and it's a strength you should try to esploit.

tullio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2002, 03:44:05 am »

esploit=spanglish for exploit

JimH

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2002, 03:55:18 am »

gracias para las palabras de un viejo
Jim Hillegass

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2002, 04:04:35 am »

HELLO!

WHERE IS MY TRANSLATOR!
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Alonso Nefarious

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2002, 05:20:18 am »

tullio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2002, 06:06:00 am »

Prego.  Ma sono italiano, non spagnolo.

Severian

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2002, 06:08:55 am »

The comments about Mega-Me are interesting. I pretty much feel the same way, although in my dotage I'm still able to deal with the smaller interface. However, I don't switch to Mini-Me because they usually stink. Many years ago I got a player from Adaptec that was bundled with a card, and it had a mini interface that was exceptionally clear (this was Win 3.1, that's how long ago this was); it was the height of the title bar yet had exceptionally clear buttons and track time on it. I used that all the time.

Similarly, I use Sonique's mini-mode all the time because it's very clear and packs an unreal amount of functionality into a few pixels; frankly I still think they're the one to beat for innovative interface. Buttons are clear, they've got rollovers on them, there's track info, search...it's rad. (I notice that the latest MusicMatch also has a small mode that bears more than a passing resemblance to Sonique's.)

None of this happens with most of the other mini-skins. Most of them, although they display nice artistry, have clarity and functionality as an afterthought. I can't tell what I should click on for what, some buttons are just graphics that do nothing, some things look like a button but are bolts or other flourishes, no rollovers...it's a mess more often than not. I'm not sure that WinAmp compatibility in that regard is such a fine thing. Mini-Me ought to have its own engine and its own skins that go beyond what WinAmp can do.

I think some centralized control over user skins isn't so poorly advised either. It seems like it's possible to publish a skin that doesn't even DO jack. I have no idea that a skin only provides the 'play' function and nothing else until after I've screwed with it for ten minutes. It would be nice as a user if before skinning or downloading it, I knew to what extent and what functions the creator had complied with. You know, like if they implemented everything to standard (all functions, every button has rollover states, etc.) they get the MJ logo next to the skin on the download page, or some other notation that indicates that this is a skin that does something besides look like this.

I honestly don't know people who flick between skins on even a daily basis. It seems to me that people find one that is GOOD (and usually good seems to revolve around "works good" first and "looks good" second), and stick with it and that's what sells it. A legion of skins that are bad or compatibility with a host of bad skins isn't doing anything for MJ, dontcha think?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2002, 08:02:55 am »

Severian> I agree completely with regards to mini-me. It almost sounds as though you're talking about MJ 7, though, because 8 DOES have its own skinning engine that isn't reliant on Winamp skins.

As for clarity, I also agree completely. That's why I converted the one skin I found to be extremely easy to understand and use to MJ 8.

You can download it here

I'm also at work converting Sonique's default mid-mode skin to MJ 8 as well. Next Page

Ilmar

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2002, 09:47:58 am »

Hi

I think I made the point in "the other thread", that a simpler, though trendy Midi-ME skin would be a great advantage, particularly for first time users, I agree that many mini-ME skins are difficult to use whether in WinAmp or MJ. Mega ME on the other hand does everything and can be button/menu overload for many. I am sure there is a half way house.

I had a shock yesterday. I usually don't go near my wife's computer even though it is on the home network. Mostly because of the plethora of screen savers, mouse pointers that look like ray guns and like. She was creating a playlist in MJ for our daughter(age 10), but was having a problem saving it in 3mu format. Yeah, like her problems are that basic.

Then I discovered that both our children just liked to have playlists from the main database to play in urgh - Media Player! So, bearing in mind this threaded exercise, I asked why..

We like the big bold chunky colours! We like the fancy patterns! We think it looks good!

Aahhh but I said - MJ can look like that too... The look on their faces was as if I had just taken away their MacDonalds and given them some healthy food! I showed them the visualisations. Yup they are cool, but soooo slow and jerky... Try this one I said, and it crashed! OOpppps...

I learned I could not win, they dont want great organisation, they dont want technical wizardry... YET, They want simplicity, garishness and a volume control...

In fairness, I did try and show them that Mediaplyer could crash too, and spew up web pages you dont want, and hold meaningless internal conversations with Microsoft HQ, and bombard you adverts for MacDonalds... oooops again....

I just gave them back what they wanted and gave up.

Maybe that last line says  something. I hope not!

Ilmar

LCtheDJ

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2002, 01:54:02 pm »

Has anyone mentioned talking it up on usegroups?  I frequent alt.music.mp3 and have found lots of information and recommendations there to be useful.  There must be other newsgroups too that could help the cause.

JimH

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2002, 02:11:26 pm »

LC,
That could help a lot.  Thanks.
Jim Hillegass

Scronch

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2002, 07:19:27 pm »

Usegroups are a good idea.  Maybe you could hire IQ as a plant.

Somewhere in one of these threads, somebody said that MJ should concentrate on a few things, and not try to do everything.  They already had other tools to do most of that stuff.  I'd like to add my 2 cents.  I want MJ to do absolutely everything with regard to media files, and to do it perfectly.  When I fly, I carry a leatherman tool.  It doesn't work as perfectly as a set of screwdrivers, or a real saw, or a big hunting knife, or a can opener, or an assortment of pliers, but it's pretty darn good at each job.  Similarly, give me tons of functionality in MJ.  Do each as well as possible.  Sure, there will always be niche programs that will out-perform and out-feature MJ in a specific area, but that's OK.  Those who want and need mega-capability in certain areas will go find it.  MJ needs to deliver mega-capability in the media file database organization and playlist arena; that seems to be its primary focus.  But then add in as much of the rest as time and resources permit.  The current lack of marketshare is NOT due to including too much functionality.  It is generally tied to marketing resource, and, in a relatively new area, to who was there first.

Scronch

zevele1

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2002, 01:54:33 am »

Concerning MusicJukebox[i hate it] 2 things more
-software in many languages
-Linux and mac versions
Pages: [1]   Go Up