INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOLVED: MKVs ripped from PAL DVDs have black border  (Read 3792 times)

TorqW

• World Citizen
SOLVED: MKVs ripped from PAL DVDs have black border
« on: May 06, 2014, 04:02:41 am »

Have tried both RO and ROHQ and have seen the same issue.

PAL DVDs (in VIDEO_TS folders) play absolutely fine. When I rip them into episodes they no longer play full screen and there is a black border/frame around them (both horizontally and vertically). Interestingly MKVs from US DVDs play fine.

Has anyone else seen this - and is there a simple solution (there must be)?

Thanks in advance.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MKVs ripped from PAL DVDs have black border
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 07:38:59 am »

Tools → Options → Video → Crop Edges → Crop edges for non-DVD video probably does what you want.

Personally, I would prefer if the Crop edges for DVD video option would crop the edges for all 720x480 or 720x576 video, rather than only video which is actually being played from a DVD itself.

You can also right-click a video that is playing and enable Window → Crop Edges to set this on a per-file basis.

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 09:26:23 am »

thanks will try this later.

Any idea why it looks fine when played from the video_ts directory? Just don't understand why there should be any difference converting it to an MKV file - as it's not doing any re-encoding.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 09:34:56 am »

Because that counts as a "DVD" so the Crop edges for DVD Video preference would apply.
I think the option is enabled by default for DVDs, but not for "non-DVD" video.

This is why I would like the "DVD" option to apply to both DVDs, and video which is 720x480 or 720x576.
Anything which is 720x480 or 720x576 like your MKV rips, are sourced from a DVD, but are not considered to be "DVD video" itself.

The "crop edges for non-DVD video" option would also apply to things like Blu-ray where you would almost certainly not want the edges cropped.

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 10:15:07 am »

really appreciate your time answering.

One last question! Why do 4:3 NTSC rips not seem to have this problem? (i.e. no black bars at top/bottom of the screen).

thanks again.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 10:30:19 am »

It really depends entirely on the disc, whether 4:3, 16:9 or otherwise. It's just how it was mastered.

TorqW

• World Citizen
Re: MKVs ripped from PAL DVDs have black border (Bug?)
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 02:43:30 am »

Had a look last night: neither of the edge cropping options are ticked....YET DVDs (from which the MKVs have been created) have no black border and MKVs do.
I'm stumped.

As you say, the last thing I want to do is enable it for ALL non-DVD media as I'll lose 2% of the picture.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 05:57:09 am »

That's very strange. All my TV episodes on DVD (all PAL) are converted to mkv files with no re-encoding (I use MakeMKV) and I don't think any of them have black borders top & bottom. Obviously 4:3 stuff has the borders left & right but that's all and 16:9 content fills the screen normally. I don't recall having to change any settings to achieve this. The only thing I do is to stretch 4:3 content to fill the screen horizontally.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 06:55:54 am »

That's very strange. All my TV episodes on DVD (all PAL) are converted to mkv files with no re-encoding (I use MakeMKV) and I don't think any of them have black borders top & bottom. Obviously 4:3 stuff has the borders left & right but that's all and 16:9 content fills the screen normally. I don't recall having to change any settings to achieve this. The only thing I do is to stretch 4:3 content to fill the screen horizontally.

I use MakeMKV too and haven't had this issue, so my thoughts were what software was used in the making of the black border. If MC was used, then it would be important for the JRiver crew to know about it. If it's some other software, then it would still be useful to know.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 08:31:02 am »

I only use MC (of course!). So it's straight from MakeMKV to MC.

As mentioned, DVDs play correctly (full screen) and so do NTSC 4:3 rips (I will check PAL 4:3 rips this eve).

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 11:39:51 am »

Are you running the original DVD's straight through MakeMKV or are you ripping the DVD's first and then using MakeMKV on the subsequent rips.

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 02:40:26 am »

A mixture, but predominantly ripping first and then using MakeMKV.

TorqW

• World Citizen
SOLVED: MKVs ripped from PAL DVDs have black border
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 02:44:55 am »

Solved: It turns our I had switched on the "automatic change mode" under Display Settings.
All back to normal now.

Still not sure why this should impact the framing though.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
Re: SOLVED: MKVs ripped from PAL DVDs have black border
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 02:53:15 am »

Solved: It turns our I had switched on the "automatic change mode" under Display Settings.
All back to normal now.

Still not sure why this should impact the framing though.

Good news, glad you got it sorted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up