INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antivirus recommendations?  (Read 1555 times)

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Antivirus recommendations?
« on: May 20, 2014, 03:13:23 am »

Bitdefender is evil! Since April 16 when MS Security Essentials stopped working on my XP-based media server, I am without any AV. Tried Bitdefender - the worst. Avast - almost as bad. AVG - not good. They are all so obtrusive... Any lightweight AV solutions out there? I really liked Security Essentials. (and NOD32 10 years ago)

craigmcg

• World Citizen
Re: Antivirus recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 06:40:48 am »

I use Panda Cloud Free Antivirus and find it light.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 08:13:53 am »

Upgrade to Windows 7 or 8, or just keep using MSSE?

I agree regarding MSSE/Windows Defender.  Now, one thing to note... MSSE did NOT stop working on Windows XP.  MSSE will continue to update until July 2015 (currently, assuming they don't extend it again).

On Windows XP, it does complain that the OS is expired (and show the "red, danger" icon in your taskbar), but this is regarding OS support, not the AV application itself, which will continue to work normally and receive definition updates for at least a year.  The red icon is, some would argue, a marketing ploy (though I think it is legit to warn users about the OS support expiration, it could be more clear that this is separate from the AV updates).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 08:38:50 am »

I should also mention... It has been a VERY long time, but ESET always treated me well in the past.

Also, we use Symantec Endpoint Protection at the office, and it isn't very troublesome when configured properly.  We use this in a corporate, managed environment (of course) but other users here have gotten standalone versions and been happy with it (in many cases it doesn't require any exceptions for MC, but if you have trouble, the linked instructions will solve it).

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 09:48:57 am »

I should also mention... It has been a VERY long time, but ESET always treated me well in the past.

+1 - We are all ESET here and have never had an issue at all with it (or with it and MC) for over 6+ years now.

VP

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 12:59:00 pm »

I use Bitdefender Antivirus Plus(not free) and I like it.
- It’s very easy to exclude network drives and specific folders.
- If a program is blocked, it gives a clear alert and is very easy to exclude and stop future blocking.
- If a file is incorrectly treated as a virus, it gives a clear alert and is very easy to restore the file.
- Active virus control can be turned off completely.

I wonder if the more bloated versions are the one causing problems with MC: Sphere, Total Security, Internet Security, etc.
I also wonder if the number of problems reported here are due to the popularity of Bitdefender. ie. More user equals more problems reported.

For a firewall I use Online Armor(not free). I used to use Comodo but it’s has gotten progressively worse over the last year to the point where It’s unusable.

Because I use both Bitdefender and Online Armor I disable windows firewall and windows defender.
The built in windows securities have given me more false positives than anything else I have used.

If I have time I can do a post on how to configure Bitdefender to exclude media folders and MC processes.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 11:28:47 pm »

If I have time I can do a post on how to configure Bitdefender to exclude media folders and MC processes.

Please.  And send me some untouched full-res screenshots, and I'll add it to the Wiki.

Pages: [1]   Go Up