INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD file conversion to FLAC with gain adjustment  (Read 2625 times)

hlesser

• Recent member
DSD file conversion to FLAC with gain adjustment
« on: May 21, 2014, 12:20:41 pm »

DSD files often are at a lower level (I believe it's -6dB).  I often convert files to create a FLAC version so that I can play them through Sonos but then they don't level-match with Redbook CDs.  What's the easiest way to automatically do this when running the conversion?  I tried dropping the PreAmp gain in the DSP but that didn't seem to work.  I'm sure there's something I'm missing.

There's also the volume leveling function, but I'm not sure that's what I want

capfan

• Recent member
Re: DSD file conversion to FLAC with gain adjustment
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 01:05:10 pm »

Korg Audiogate can be used to perform custom normalization per album.  I've found the resulting FLAC files to be noticeably louder than those produced by Media Center.  I also had issues with Media Center introducing pops/clicks at the beginning of some DSD converted FLAC files, which is not an issue with Audiogate.

And this may be off-topic, but I had some weird results with Media Center where I would convert a DSF file (the first track on an album) and get a click/pop at the beginning of the resulting FLAC file.  Then I would perform the same conversion again on the same track and get no click/pop at the beginning of the resulting FLAC file.  But there are plenty of posts on DSD click/pop issues, so I'm not trying to start a new one here.

hlesser

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 06:04:14 am »

I have no problem with pops & clicks in JRiver conversion, I just want to tweak the gain by +6 dB each time I convert a DSD file to FLAC Red ook (16/44k).  JimH, any ideas?

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 06:11:29 am »

You should be able to add 6dB via the Parametric EQ DSP during conversion.
However, I would suggest that you analyze your files first, as many SACDs are not mastered with enough headroom to add 6dB without clipping.
Pages: [1]   Go Up