INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: eos, a remote for JRiver - now for Android!  (Read 230503 times)

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
Re: eos, a remote for JRiver - now for Android!
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2014, 12:09:03 pm »

had to send you some crash reports...

one smal issue regarding the playing now screen
in most times just one of all somgs in the playlist is showing the lenght of a title.
also the showing of the covers in the cataloug views are very slowly.
could you fix this with the next update.

The speed that covers appear in catalog views is entirely dependent on your network speed. In fact, one of the crashes that you experienced was due to the fact that the request queue filled up because images weren't being loaded quickly enough. I've come up with a fix for the crash: I've shrunk the size of the request queue, but instead of throwing an exception and causing a crash when the queue fills up, the oldest task in the queue will be ejected. In this scenario you've already scrolled past that item so there's no need to finish the request for the image; shrinking the queue should ensure that eos isn't trying to load images for items that are no longer visible. @JohanJooste, this is the same crash you're seeing.

I'm not sure what you meant when you said "just one of all the songs in the playlist is showing the length of a title". Do you mean that the titles are too long to fit in the available space, so they're being truncated? If so, @JohanJooste has already requested that the title marquee; I'll take a look and see if this is possible. If it is it'll be in the next build.

G'day again,

Thanks again for the coming Total playing time mod so that that it will work with the older androids. I just loaded EOS into a new Galaxy Note 8 running 4.2.2 ànd the edit button (three squares on top of each other) is missing from all screens except for the select for the playlist screen (the one with tick, done, selected then play arrow, add as next etc) . Everything else seems to be there and working though, the layout is great on the saller screen
The 3 squares on top of one another isn't an edit button, it's the action overflow. If there are more action items than the available space in the action bar, you'll see this button so you can access those additional items. I would guess you're not seeing on the Note 8 because despite it's smaller screen size it has a higher ppi, so it can fit all the action items on screen at the same time.
Check out my JRiver remote application eos, available for Android and BlackBerry 10!
Android: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89392.0
BB10: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79677.0

High-End

• World Citizen
Re: AW: Re: eos, a remote for JRiver - now for Android!
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2014, 12:16:09 pm »

I'm not sure what you meant when you said "just one of all the songs in the playlist is showing the length of a title". Do you mean that the titles are too long to fit in the available space, so they're being truncated? If so, @JohanJooste has already requested that the title marquee; I'll take a look and see if this is possible. If it is it'll be in the next build.
Thanks for the answer.  With the connection you might be right.  But in general I think Gizmo is showing the pictures faster.
Regarding the length:
I mean the minutes and seconds.  Just a few of them are showing them.

Regards
H-e

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
Re: AW: Re: eos, a remote for JRiver - now for Android!
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2014, 12:35:38 pm »

Thanks for the answer.  With the connection you might be right.  But in general I think Gizmo is showing the pictures faster.
Regarding the length:
I mean the minutes and seconds.  Just a few of them are showing them.

Regards
H-e
That's interesting. There are two scenarios where the duration wouldn't be displayed:

• It isn't returned by MCWS. This could occur if the duration isn't known by MC, e.g. if the item is a live stream.
  • eos can't parse the value that's returned by MCWS. The duration is normally the integer length of the track in seconds, but I've seen cases where the value also has a decimal point. eos does handle the latter.

Does Gizmo show the duration for the same tracks? That should rule out the first scenario.

Regarding marquee: I've been playing around with it, and it is possible to have the track title on the Playing Now page marquee. I tried making the title of items in a file list marquee, but that didn't work: not only did the text not marquee, but the items stopped being selectable altogether. But at least the title will marquee in the next release!
Check out my JRiver remote application eos, available for Android and BlackBerry 10!

High-End

• World Citizen
Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: eos, a remote for JRiver - now for Android!
« Reply #153 on: August 03, 2014, 12:56:50 pm »

That's interesting. There are two scenarios where the duration wouldn't be displayed:

• It isn't returned by MCWS. This could occur if the duration isn't known by MC, e.g. if the item is a live stream.
  • eos can't parse the value that's returned by MCWS. The duration is normally the integer length of the track in seconds, but I've seen cases where the value also has a decimal point. eos does handle the latter.

Does Gizmo show the duration for the same tracks? That should rule out the first scenario.
Imo Gizmo is very basic.  The Playlist also: in general no min and sec.
I am talking about stored files.
The length of each file is shown at playing now but not in the play list.

Ancientflat

• Recent member
« Reply #154 on: August 04, 2014, 02:00:33 am »

Thanks again for your prompt response. My apologies, mea culpa. I have found the missing edit playlist etc, the Note 8 has a menu key on the screen surround which my older note 10.1 doesn't have. Hence it shows one more icon on the now playing screen (Shuffle) and the rest of the commands appear when the menu key is pressed. Interestingly the Note 10.1 running Android 4.1.2 needs the edit handles to be double tapped with the S Pen if you wish to move a playlist item whereas the Note 8, running 4.2.2 requires only a single touch to shift an item.

JohanJooste

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2014, 01:13:31 pm »

Great stuff thank you Soul_Rvr911 - looking forward to the next release of eos. Cheers

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #156 on: August 10, 2014, 11:41:06 pm »

Version 1.1.2 of eos has been pushed to production in Google Play, and should be available in the next few hours. Change list:

New:
-eos keeps track of its own active zone separately from the server's active zone. This allows eos to affect playback of a zone without requiring MC to switch its active zone
-Track title now marquees on Playing Now page if it's longer than the available space

Fixes:
-Two crashes: 1) if an error occurred fetching a list of files; 2) if the request queue filled up (e.g. - quickly scrolling through lists on slow connections)
-Total playing time not appearing on pre-KitKat devices
-Zones page and Volume dialog could appear blank

You'll notice that each zone listed on the Zones page now shows a Home icon on the right hand side. The bright icon indicates MC's currently active zone. You can tap any of these home icons if you want to set that zone as MC's active zone. The checkboxes on this page used to set MC's active zone, but now they set eos' internal active zone. If none of the checkboxes are checked, eos' commands will affect MC's currently active zone. If you check the checkbox next to a zone, the commands that eos issues will affect that zone instead, without altering MC's active zone. (Basically: the checkbox behavior has been changed to replicate Gizmo, and the home icons do what eos' checkboxes used to.)

I would think that for most users, when you want to control another zone there isn't much difference between checking a checkbox vs tapping one of the home icons. But the different scenarios where you'd want to use one method or the other have been covered earlier in the thread.

These changes have been soaking in Alpha for a week, and seem to be working as intended. If you experience any weirdness - like eos controlling the wrong zone when you issue commands with a checkbox checked -  please let me know!

Ancientflat

• Recent member
« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2014, 06:12:06 am »

;D ;D Sheer Genius!!! Thanks for the new update, all is working perfectly for me.  ;D ;D

Stormen

• Recent member
« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2014, 05:44:52 am »

Hi, really great work yo have done. !!!  The EOS is really great

I have two future requests that will make life much easier  ;)

1. A subtitle and audiobutton when playing a video file. (on the server).  (Then I don't have to pick up the keyboard and go through all the menus)

2. From "Play Now"  a shortcut (press and hold) on album name or artist name to go to album. Ex playing with playdoctor or random of all albums. I hear a random song and want to play that specific album from the beginning or play another song with that artist that comes to my mind.

* idea nr2 is from squeezebox duet which has a + button.

just my 2 cents

Keep up the good work

High-End

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2014, 09:33:54 am »

With the updated version of this weekend the length of a song is shown also within playing now in main land Europe ;-)
Thanks for that!

tunamackaroni

• Recent member
« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2014, 06:53:47 pm »

Hello,

Playing now does not update(without a manual refresh) for me when controlling/viewing a renderer(MC19 for Win > Oppo BDP-105). Works correctly when playing at the server or streaming to the device.

Thanks.

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2014, 03:00:25 am »

SUPERB app.

THANK you!!

:) :) :) :)

randycw

• Recent member
« Reply #162 on: August 20, 2014, 12:56:28 pm »

This recent version of eos is working quite well for me, and the family loves it over Gizmo.

Thank you.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2014, 10:37:45 am »

Hi, really great work yo have done. !!!  The EOS is really great

I have two future requests that will make life much easier  ;)

1. A subtitle and audiobutton when playing a video file. (on the server).  (Then I don't have to pick up the keyboard and go through all the menus)

2. From "Play Now"  a shortcut (press and hold) on album name or artist name to go to album. Ex playing with playdoctor or random of all albums. I hear a random song and want to play that specific album from the beginning or play another song with that artist that comes to my mind.

* idea nr2 is from squeezebox duet which has a + button.

just my 2 cents

Keep up the good work
Thanks for the feedback Stormen! I've just finished implementing the long press on artist or album name to perform a search for that artist or album. It should also be possible to create subtitle and audio buttons on the Playing Now page. I should note that it doesn't seem possible to get information about the current subtitle or audio stream from the web services: it's only possible to cycle through them. I just wanted you to be aware of this limitation!

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #164 on: August 22, 2014, 12:56:49 pm »

;D ;D Sheer Genius!!! Thanks for the new update, all is working perfectly for me.  ;D ;D
With the updated version of this weekend the length of a song is shown also within playing now in main land Europe ;-)
Thanks for that!
SUPERB app.

THANK you!!

:) :) :) :)
This recent version of eos is working quite well for me, and the family loves it over Gizmo.

Thank you.

My sincere thanks to all of you for your feedback!

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #165 on: August 22, 2014, 01:05:19 pm »

Hello,

Playing now does not update(without a manual refresh) for me when controlling/viewing a renderer(MC19 for Win > Oppo BDP-105). Works correctly when playing at the server or streaming to the device.

Thanks.
Hmm, this is likely due to a delay in MC updating its playing now information when controlling a renderer. eos will attempt to make a number of requests in a short time period (~3 seconds) to retrieve new playback information when it knows that the playing track has changed, but afterwards it gives up and a manual refresh is required. This logic works in 99% of cases. However, I've noticed the same behavior occasionally on my laptop, which after a period of time spins down the HDD containing my media. Since it takes a few seconds for the HDD to wake, eos has often given up before the track has actually started playing.

I'll try implementing a system where the delay between subsequent requests gets longer as the number of attempts increases, and include that in the next version. This might help in our situation!

Stormen

• Recent member
« Reply #166 on: September 01, 2014, 11:06:56 am »

Looking forward to try out the seek function when press and hold on artis or perhaps album cover in "play now mode"
Awsome if subtitle button and audio button comes to reality, then its like a normal controll to the dvd player.  I saw this weekend that perhaps I should go into theater mode when wathing a movie beacuse of the easy switch of subtitles there.

If you want further development of this app in the upcomming releases (to make it even more great :-) )

It can be the possibillitie to adjust the volume with up/down buttons on the phone. ( I really missed the function of having a slider on gizmo, and now I miss the function of volyme buttons :-) since the slider on a Samsung android isnt that exact with clumsy fingers :-)

And also a setting to hide the stars ( gizmo has it) :-)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #167 on: September 02, 2014, 03:21:31 am »

What I would like (feature suggestion :P) is a share button to post (for example) on Facebook. I'm missing this in Gizmo as well.

In facebook I can post my status as listening to music and find the artist. It would be cool to do this with a single click, but include album, track and rating.

A minor issue I noticed with rotating is that if I change the view to track list in vertical mode, rotate my phone horizontal so it automatically changes to cover art + track and rotate back to vertical, it goes to cover art again. It would be neat if it remembered that I had track listing selected.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #168 on: September 02, 2014, 11:01:21 pm »

Looking forward to try out the seek function when press and hold on artis or perhaps album cover in "play now mode"
Awsome if subtitle button and audio button comes to reality, then its like a normal controll to the dvd player.  I saw this weekend that perhaps I should go into theater mode when wathing a movie beacuse of the easy switch of subtitles there.

If you want further development of this app in the upcomming releases (to make it even more great :-) )

It can be the possibillitie to adjust the volume with up/down buttons on the phone. ( I really missed the function of having a slider on gizmo, and now I miss the function of volyme buttons :-) since the slider on a Samsung android isnt that exact with clumsy fingers :-)

And also a setting to hide the stars ( gizmo has it) :-)
I just finished implementing subtitle and audio stream buttons. I added a new action item to the Theater Remote page called "Audio Stream/Subtitles..." Clicking this button will present you with a dialog containing two buttons: "Toggle Subtitles" and "Toggle Audio Stream". You can tap either of these buttons as often as possible until properly configured. This option will always appear in the theater remote, but trying to toggle audio stream/subtitles when you aren't playing a video is undefined behavior. (During my tests nothing happened, but I don't know if that's always the case!)

As you've requested, I've also added a setting to hide the rating stars on the Playing Now page, and a long press on the cover art will also perform the album lookup (similarly to long pressing on the album name).

Adjusting the server's volume by pressing the device's volume keys is going to be a little bit trickier. I've had a few requests for it though, so it should be doable in a future release.

What I would like (feature suggestion :P) is a share button to post (for example) on Facebook. I'm missing this in Gizmo as well.

In facebook I can post my status as listening to music and find the artist. It would be cool to do this with a single click, but include album, track and rating.
I've done some research, but unfortunately Facebook integration is a huge PITA. There are two methods of doing it:

1) Add a generic "share" button: The type you've no doubt seen in other apps. This will prompt you with "where would you like to share..." and a list of applications (like Facebook, Twitter, etc). The problem is that Facebook doesn't make it possible to pre-populate a message when you select Facebook from this list of apps. This is part of their developer guidelines/terms of service, and there is no workaround - it just isn't supported.

2) Require that you log into Facebook from eos: If I include the Facebook APIs inside my app I can prompt you for your Facebook credentials and post status updates to your account directly, without going through the Facebook app. This seems like a lot of work for a feature that will come off as dubious, at best.

A minor issue I noticed with rotating is that if I change the view to track list in vertical mode, rotate my phone horizontal so it automatically changes to cover art + track and rotate back to vertical, it goes to cover art again. It would be neat if it remembered that I had track listing selected.
I've seen this too. I spent a bit of time tonight trying to come up with a fix, but it is surprisingly not trivial. The problem is that the display context is lost when the phone orientation changes: the entire activity is torn down so it can be recreated with the new layout. If the layout didn't switch upon reorientation it would be easy to preserve this state, but unfortunately that isn't the case. That page does support swiping to switch tabs, which does lessen the impact of this behavior.

The new version is ready to post, but unfortunately Google has seen fit to alter the requirements for apps in the Play store. They now require a short description and a "feature graphic", an image that will be used on the details page and must be exactly 1024x500. The former is easy to come up with, but I'm not a graphic designer so it'll take me a while to put a feature graphic together. And until I have this image I can't make any changes to my app in Play, which includes uploading new APKs. I'll be sure to let you know when the new version has been posted.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #169 on: September 03, 2014, 09:59:35 pm »

I've just pushed eos v1.2 to Google Play! Changelist:

New:
-Long pressing on the artist, album title, or cover art on the Playing Now page will perform a search for that item
-Audio stream/subtitle toggling now available from Theater Remote
-New setting to hide the rating stars on the Playing Now page
-Pressing the hardware volume keys while the Playing Now page is visible will change the active zone's volume

Fixes:
-Added an increasing delay to Playing Now updates, which should remove the need to manually refresh on track change in certain cases

It should be available in the next few hours. Please let me know if you have any issues with these new features!

tunamackaroni

• Recent member
« Reply #170 on: September 04, 2014, 03:32:53 pm »

Fixes:
-Added an increasing delay to Playing Now updates, which should remove the need to manually refresh on track change in certain cases

Still seeing the same behavior with Playing Now. Manual refresh and orientation change both update the track information. This happens for all songs without exception on multiple devices.

I have watched the Media network notifications and I am not seeing any traffic between the app and media network after initial contact for /v1/Playback/Info?Zone=xxxxx

If I forward the track progress at the media center the app does not update to reflect the change in time played for the current song

The same actions with Gizmo generate /v1/Playback/Info?Zone=xxxxx&Token=xxxxxxxx and then i see the app check in every 5 seconds or so.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #171 on: September 05, 2014, 12:00:53 am »

Fixes:

Still seeing the same behavior with Playing Now. Manual refresh and orientation change both update the track information. This happens for all songs without exception on multiple devices.

I have watched the Media network notifications and I am not seeing any traffic between the app and media network after initial contact for /v1/Playback/Info?Zone=xxxxx

If I forward the track progress at the media center the app does not update to reflect the change in time played for the current song

The same actions with Gizmo generate /v1/Playback/Info?Zone=xxxxx&Token=xxxxxxxx and then i see the app check in every 5 seconds or so.
Curious. While controlling playback of your renderer, does eos' Playing Now page show the duration, and does the progress bar advance?

eos doesn't work the same way as Gizmo and JRemote. To conserve battery, it only polls v1/Playback/Info to update Playing Now when either a) the Playing Now page is made visible, or b) when the end of the track is reached. The reason I asked if the duration is shown on Playing Now is because if the duration isn't known eos won't know when the playing track is over, which means that the request to update Playing Now at the track boundary can't be scheduled. This would explain why a manual refresh is required when the track changes.

zeusl

• Recent member
« Reply #172 on: September 05, 2014, 01:18:13 am »

Hi
Have tried searching but have not found anything about this:
I can't see the rating on any song. The stars are not "filled/stuffed".
If I change the rating it affects my server and the change goes through. But I can't see it in the EOS. (I use Authentication)
(I use MC primarily for music...)

Stormen

• Recent member
« Reply #173 on: September 05, 2014, 09:50:56 am »

Volyme adjusting by device buttons are great. 5% per step. I got the htpc directly to amps and a horn system a 110dB. So a clumsy finger on the slidebar and a suddenly adjustment to 100% was more than enough to wake the dead :-)
I'm reliefed and very glad for the uppgrade. Big thanks.  1.2 is great :-)

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #174 on: September 05, 2014, 03:06:24 pm »

Hi
Have tried searching but have not found anything about this:
I can't see the rating on any song. The stars are not "filled/stuffed".
If I change the rating it affects my server and the change goes through. But I can't see it in the EOS. (I use Authentication)
This is the first time I've heard of anyone experiencing issues with the rating stars. So you're saying that on the Playing Now page the rating stars are always appearing empty, even if the track has a rating in MC? But if you tap on a star to change the rating, the rating for that track in MC is updated? After you tap on a star, is the rating filled in as you'd expect?

What device are you using, and what OS version is it running?

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #175 on: September 05, 2014, 03:07:45 pm »

Volyme adjusting by device buttons are great. 5% per step. I got the htpc directly to amps and a horn system a 110dB. So a clumsy finger on the slidebar and a suddenly adjustment to 100% was more than enough to wake the dead :-)
I'm reliefed and very glad for the uppgrade. Big thanks.  1.2 is great :-)
Glad to hear it's working for you!

tunamackaroni

• Recent member
« Reply #176 on: September 05, 2014, 03:52:47 pm »

"Curious. While controlling playback of your renderer, does eos' Playing Now page show the duration, and does the progress bar advance?"

It does. If I advance or rewind the song at the server eos does not update. It continues as if the song playback had not changed until it finishes the track. If I advance or rewind via eos it does update.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #177 on: September 05, 2014, 04:11:06 pm »

"Curious. While controlling playback of your renderer, does eos' Playing Now page show the duration, and does the progress bar advance?"

It does. If I advance or rewind the song at the server eos does not update. It continues as if the song playback had not changed until it finishes the track. If I advance or rewind via eos it does update.
That's expected behavior. As I mentioned, eos doesn't poll the server for updates, so if you change playback directly at the server in any way (e.g. - seek within the current track, skip a track, or change the playlist entirely) eos won't know unless a) you manually refresh, or b) what eos believes is still the current track is scheduled to end.

tunamackaroni

• Recent member
« Reply #178 on: September 05, 2014, 04:55:14 pm »

Ok. The real issue is the track updating once it changes. I see for example 4:14/4:14 once the track ends and the only way to update this to the next track and current play time is a manual refresh or orientation change. To your point that eos checks once the track ends this is not happening in my set up.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2014, 06:53:11 pm »

Ok. The real issue is the track updating once it changes. I see for example 4:14/4:14 once the track ends and the only way to update this to the next track and current play time is a manual refresh or orientation change. To your point that eos checks once the track ends this is not happening in my set up.
Do you see any media network notifications at the track boundary? And just to confirm, eos works as expected when controlling the server instead of the renderer, correct?

How have you configured eos? I assuming you have "Keep screen on" enabled, and are watching the Playing Now screen. To control your renderer, do you check the checkbox or tap the home icon on the Zones page?

tunamackaroni

• Recent member
« Reply #180 on: September 05, 2014, 08:29:35 pm »

Do you see any media network notifications at the track boundary? And just to confirm, eos works as expected when controlling the server instead of the renderer, correct?

How have you configured eos? I assuming you have "Keep screen on" enabled, and are watching the Playing Now screen. To control your renderer, do you check the checkbox or tap the home icon on the Zones page?

I see ~ 10 /v1/info?Zone check after the track flips. eos does not update

When I use eos for server or device playback I see 1 check at the track flip for /v1/info?zone and 1 check for /v1/File/GetImage. eos then updates as expected.

Your assumptions about my eos setup are correct. I check the box to select the zone and then choose Playing Now to view my active playlist/track

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #181 on: September 05, 2014, 09:32:18 pm »

I see ~ 10 /v1/info?Zone check after the track flips. eos does not update

When I use eos for server or device playback I see 1 check at the track flip for /v1/info?zone and 1 check for /v1/File/GetImage. eos then updates as expected.

Your assumptions about my eos setup are correct. I check the box to select the zone and then choose Playing Now to view my active playlist/track
Ok, it's good that eos is at least trying to update at the track boundary. I've coded it so that it will only attempt to retrieve updated playing now info 10 times before it gives up. (As an FYI, under normal circumstances it takes a maximum of 2 requests to get the updated info.)

It's possible that the Playback/Info response still hasn't been updated by the time that eos makes its last attempt. The change I made in v1.2 should cause that last attempt to be made around 7 seconds after the track is scheduled to change, though, which seems like plenty time for the new info to be available.

Looking through the code, the one thing I did notice is that eos only considers a successful track change to mean that MC is playing a different file key. So, for example, if your playlist contains the same track twice, when the track finishes playing the first time eos will make 10 requests waiting for the file key to change, which it never will. I tried this scenario on my own device and noticed that the progress bar and current position went back to the beginning as expected, but the playlist position (e.g. - 2 of 5) did not update. This is a bug, but it's mostly harmless since it's such an obscure case.

However, I digress, since that doesn't seem to be the issue you're seeing. I'd like you to run a test for me:

Try opening the browser on the PC running your library server and entering the URL http://localhost:52199/MCWS/v1/Playback/Info?Zone=xxxx (where xxxx is the number that you're seeing in the Media network notifications). If you're prompted for a password, enter the Media Network credentials you configured in MC. Start playback as you normally would, then skip to the last few seconds of the track. Keep hitting refresh in the browser as the track changes, and let me know how long after the track change occurs that the XML response you see updates to show the new track info.

Thanks!

tunamackaroni

• Recent member
« Reply #182 on: September 05, 2014, 10:45:25 pm »

Ok, it's good that eos is at least trying to update at the track boundary. I've coded it so that it will only attempt to retrieve updated playing now info 10 times before it gives up. (As an FYI, under normal circumstances it takes a maximum of 2 requests to get the updated info.)

It's possible that the Playback/Info response still hasn't been updated by the time that eos makes its last attempt. The change I made in v1.2 should cause that last attempt to be made around 7 seconds after the track is scheduled to change, though, which seems like plenty time for the new info to be available.

Looking through the code, the one thing I did notice is that eos only considers a successful track change to mean that MC is playing a different file key. So, for example, if your playlist contains the same track twice, when the track finishes playing the first time eos will make 10 requests waiting for the file key to change, which it never will. I tried this scenario on my own device and noticed that the progress bar and current position went back to the beginning as expected, but the playlist position (e.g. - 2 of 5) did not update. This is a bug, but it's mostly harmless since it's such an obscure case.

However, I digress, since that doesn't seem to be the issue you're seeing. I'd like you to run a test for me:

Try opening the browser on the PC running your library server and entering the URL http://localhost:52199/MCWS/v1/Playback/Info?Zone=xxxx (where xxxx is the number that you're seeing in the Media network notifications). If you're prompted for a password, enter the Media Network credentials you configured in MC. Start playback as you normally would, then skip to the last few seconds of the track. Keep hitting refresh in the browser as the track changes, and let me know how long after the track change occurs that the XML response you see updates to show the new track info.

Thanks!

It updates as soon as I refresh.

I think I see the problem now.

MC is not updating it's now playing information while it sends the first ~5MB of the next song. during that time eos is running the track change checks. I am seeing it consistently stop it's checks before the first 5 MB is buffered.

As a test I forwarded the track on the server so that the buffering phase would be finished before eos ran its track change check. When eos ran down its track counter and sent the track change check it updated correctly.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #183 on: September 05, 2014, 10:51:40 pm »

Access keys broke?  Haven't been able to connect to servers while away from home for the last month or so. Tried settings edit for both servers,  also tried changing servers... Stuck on authenticating.
Thanks

this trick from 7/7/14 no longer works
Note: If you configured your server(s) to connect via access key, you'll probably notice that eos will fail to connect after you upgrade. This is because your versions of eos have incorrectly saved the default IP address of "192.168." for each server that has "Connect using access key" enabled. You'll have to go into the Manage Servers screen, press "Edit" for each server that connects using access key, and then click "Save" in order to resolve this. Note that you don't actually need to make any changes on this page - I've updated the code to remove the default IP address when it's detected. If you want to disable this feature for a server, you can also do so while on the Edit Server Info page. Once you've updated all of your servers you can exit Settings, and you should be able to connect to your servers.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #184 on: September 05, 2014, 11:29:52 pm »

Access keys broke?  Haven't been able to connect to servers while away from home for the last month or so. Tried settings edit for both servers,  also tried changing servers... Stuck on authenticating.
Thanks
They shouldn't be - I just tried it on my devices and it's working correctly. If eos is making it to "Authenticating", then either a) it was able to determine the correct address from the access key, or b) "Remember connectable address" has been enabled for your server(s), so access key lookup isn't happening and eos has jumped directly to the authentication step.

Are you seeing an error message of some sort? I'd wager that you're encountering situation b), since I've yet to see cases where eos gets an Alive response from a server but then authentication - which happens immediately afterwards - fails. Try going into the server management screen and editing the affected servers, clearing the "Remember connectable address" checkbox, and try again.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #185 on: September 05, 2014, 11:32:56 pm »

It updates as soon as I refresh.

I think I see the problem now.

MC is not updating it's now playing information while it sends the first ~5MB of the next song. during that time eos is running the track change checks. I am seeing it consistently stop it's checks before the first 5 MB is buffered.

As a test I forwarded the track on the server so that the buffering phase would be finished before eos ran its track change check. When eos ran down its track counter and sent the track change check it updated correctly.

Glad to see you found the problem! How long does it take for the first chunk of the song to transfer? I can modify eos to increase either the number of update attempts or the delay between attempts to help alleviate your issue.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #186 on: September 05, 2014, 11:45:16 pm »

edited manage servers, unticked remember connectable address, saved it, Connecting to server tries 192. then tries 174. an error occured, unable to find a server at any known addys, please verify that your server is turned on and that your device is connected to same network
no probs with gizmo.

zeusl

• Recent member
« Reply #187 on: September 06, 2014, 11:46:38 am »

This is the first time I've heard of anyone experiencing issues with the rating stars. So you're saying that on the Playing Now page the rating stars are always appearing empty, even if the track has a rating in MC? But if you tap on a star to change the rating, the rating for that track in MC is updated? After you tap on a star, is the rating filled in as you'd expect?

What device are you using, and what OS version is it running?

Yes, exactly. If I change the rating in EOS, the stars are filled until the next song. When I go back to previous song the stars are empty.
I have tested both the MC 19 and 20.
EOS v1.2.0, Samsung Galaxy S4 + with Android 4.4.2.

This song is rated 3 stars.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #188 on: September 06, 2014, 12:50:34 pm »

Access keys broke?  Haven't been able to connect to servers while away from home for the last month or so. Tried settings edit for both servers,  also tried changing servers... Stuck on authenticating.
Thanks
They shouldn't be - I just tried it on my devices and it's working correctly. If eos is making it to "Authenticating", then either a) it was able to determine the correct address from the access key, or b) "Remember connectable address" has been enabled for your server(s), so access key lookup isn't happening and eos has jumped directly to the authentication step.

Are you seeing an error message of some sort? I'd wager that you're encountering situation b), since I've yet to see cases where eos gets an Alive response from a server but then authentication - which happens immediately afterwards - fails. Try going into the server management screen and editing the affected servers, clearing the "Remember connectable address" checkbox, and try again.
Looks like there was a problem connecting via access key. eos was attempting to use the cached auth token when checking if the server was available at the IP address. If the token was invalid, the server would reject the request, causing eos to think that the server wasn't connectable at that IP. I just uploaded v1.2.1 which should fix the issue.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #189 on: September 06, 2014, 12:54:53 pm »

Yes, exactly. If I change the rating in EOS, the stars are filled until the next song. When I go back to previous song the stars are empty.
I have tested both the MC 19 and 20.
EOS v1.2.0, Samsung Galaxy S4 + with Android 4.4.2.
This song is rated 3 stars.
Thanks for uploading the screenshot! I didn't realize you were doing device playback. This was caused by an oversight on my part: the file ratings weren't being stored along with the rest of the track info in the device playlist. The fix will be included in the next build.

tunamackaroni

• Recent member
« Reply #190 on: September 06, 2014, 12:59:35 pm »

Glad to see you found the problem! How long does it take for the first chunk of the song to transfer? I can modify eos to increase either the number of update attempts or the delay between attempts to help alleviate your issue.

I think a check on the track flip and then a delay for a check @ 5 and 10 seconds would do it.

Personally I'd prefer it update periodically( every ~5 seconds ) throughout the song. Maybe create a power save mode and an always on mode? For my usage the headless behavior after the first update post track change is problematic.

Thanks.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #191 on: September 06, 2014, 01:31:25 pm »

I think a check on the track flip and then a delay for a check @ 5 and 10 seconds would do it.

Personally I'd prefer it update periodically( every ~5 seconds ) throughout the song. Maybe create a power save mode and an always on mode? For my usage the headless behavior after the first update post track change is problematic.

Thanks.
I've increased the number of requests from 10 to 15. The last request should occur around 14 seconds after track change, which will hopefully be enough time for the playing item on your renderer to have updated.

I designed eos with battery efficiency in mind; I don't want to introduce polling behavior, both because it goes against this efficiency and because doing so wouldn't be trivial.

This change will be included in the next build, which will likely be called v1.2.2. I hope to have it published by the end of the weekend.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #192 on: September 06, 2014, 01:36:28 pm »

updated to newest version via play store, opened the app, trying 192. (tried for around 3 seconds), then jumped to trying 174.(it tried for a millisecond.. so fast i couldnt read past 174.) then an error has occurred: unable to find server at any of the known addresses, please verify that your server is turned on and that your device is connected to the same network.

I then went to settings, edited both servers, saved them, went back to eos home and tried both ip's, and same error...then an error has occurred.

Galaxy S4 trying to connect to server away from home

* I then removed both servers, went back to EOS home, it gave me a popup to add a server, and i re-entered info for both servers, and they both connected...perhaps connection time (you changed) as discussed earlier should be changed back to what it was being that was not the problem? (make for faster connections)

Stormen

• Recent member
« Reply #193 on: September 06, 2014, 01:53:33 pm »

Hi
I dont have any juicy fails or errors to report. BUT
I finnaly found the audio toggle function added in theater mode . Its a bit of a shortcut. Beacuse in theatermode its possible to change the subtitle by pressing up.
Anyhow I really like the function. Is it possible to add the toggle function on "play now"? (Or move it?)  I really like the function so dont take it away :-)
Just a thought.
perhaps you guys thinking: why in f##! h $% isnt he using theatermode as startup. :-)  Well maybe I should. And perhaps it straightens out some issues. But there aint many guidlines 8f how the best way to use the JRiver. Only a lot of settings and adjustments. So I guess ita a bit of taste and desire that desides of how its best used :-)

Keep up the good work. This is beacomming something really special.

A question. If I insert a dvd in my htpc. How on earth do I start it from eos? ( Devices)

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #194 on: September 06, 2014, 01:55:51 pm »

updated to newest version via play store, opened the app, trying 192. (tried for around 3 seconds), then jumped to trying 174.(it tried for a millisecond.. so fast i couldnt read past 174.) then an error has occurred: unable to find server at any of the known addresses, please verify that your server is turned on and that your device is connected to the same network.

I then went to settings, edited both servers, saved them, went back to eos home and tried both ip's, and same error...then an error has occurred.

Galaxy S4 trying to connect to server away from home

* I then removed both servers, went back to EOS home, it gave me a popup to add a server, and i re-entered info for both servers, and they both connected...perhaps connection time (you changed) as discussed earlier should be changed back to what it was being that was not the problem? (make for faster connections)
Yep, I lowered the connection timeout before I pushed v1.2.1, which included the fix for the issue you're seeing. I just checked the Play store on my device and it isn't available yet; we may need to give it an hour or two first.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #195 on: September 06, 2014, 01:59:50 pm »

Hi
I dont have any juicy fails or errors to report. BUT
I finnaly found the audio toggle function added in theater mode . Its a bit of a shortcut. Beacuse in theatermode its possible to change the subtitle by pressing up.
Anyhow I really like the function. Is it possible to add the toggle function on "play now"? (Or move it?)  I really like the function so dont take it away :-)
Just a thought.

Keep up the good work. This is beacommkng something really special.

A question. If I insert a dvd in my htpc. How on earth do I start it from eos? ( Devices)
Don't worry Stormen, I won't take it away!  :)

I've added the same toggle option to the Playing Now page, alongside the Play/Pause/Next/etc. options when you're viewing the playing item. This will also be included in the next build (v1.2.2).

Cheers!

zeusl

• Recent member
« Reply #196 on: September 07, 2014, 12:22:01 am »

Thanks for uploading the screenshot! I didn't realize you were doing device playback. This was caused by an oversight on my part: the file ratings weren't being stored along with the rest of the track info in the device playlist. The fix will be included in the next build.

After the update, it works perfectly! Thanks for the quick fix! :)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2014, 01:34:24 pm »

any chance of chromecast support?

Also when in videos if one presses and holds on the file then clicks the menu option it gives an option (file info) which we can then see the tags (above all... description of the video) Is there any chance when one clicks the movie title all the info  (none editable) could show below the movie title? so we dont have to press and hold, and chose file info, and so noobs dont accidentally change tags?

example , if i goto video, recently imported, action, Dirty Harry series, it shows all Dirty harry movies, once i select Dirty Harry - The Dead Pool, the movie starts to play, maybe there is a way once i tap on Dirty Harry - The Dead Pool, it would go 1 more page, and give description, other tag info. then if a person tapped it again, it would play.

Right now there is no way to view description of Videos in gizmo or eos, (unless one follows steps mentioned above in eos)

thanks

Stormen

• Recent member
« Reply #198 on: September 09, 2014, 01:40:36 am »

I didnt know there where a possibillitie to change tags in eos.  :-[  As you say, that tag-option should not be lying wide open for all the familymembers :-)  (not even me lol ) perhaps like a a option after phusing the menu/option button on the device? (just like audio/subtitle function)

Another question.
Is it possible to add in the main menu: Devices. ?

To access the blurayplayer on the htpc.    (maybe I got selective blindness but I cant find how to start playback once inserting a dvd or bluray with the eos)

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2014, 08:59:08 am »

I didnt know there where a possibillitie to change tags in eos.  :-[  As you say, that tag-option should not be lying wide open for all the familymembers :-)  (not even me lol ) perhaps like a a option after phusing the menu/option button on the device? (just like audio/subtitle function)

Another question.
Is it possible to add in the main menu: Devices. ?

To access the blurayplayer on the htpc.    (maybe I got selective blindness but I cant find how to start playback once inserting a dvd or bluray with the eos)
If you didn't even notice the option was there, I don't think you need to worry about accidentally changing your tags! :P But if you're that concerned, you can always disable Media Network authentication in MC. Then even if someone does find the File Info page, they won't be able to make any changes. Note, however, that this will also prevent you from being able to rate tracks from any remote (including eos)!

It doesn't seem possible to list the devices from any remote. I can't see a way to retrieve a list of devices from MCWS.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Up