INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony Vegas Movie Studio 13 Crashes On Startup with MC19  (Read 7230 times)

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
Sony Vegas Movie Studio 13 Crashes On Startup with MC19
« on: May 26, 2014, 10:20:15 am »

Please reference the following threads:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/Forums/ShowMessage.asp?Forum=4&MessageID=877208
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/24/978670

If MC19 is installed prior to the installation of SVMS13 (and other Vegas products) it will cause Vegas to crash during startup. You will see the Vegas splash screen get to the point of "Creating windows", with the progress bar fully to the right, and it will generate an error.

To fix, uninstall MC19, re-install and run your Vegas product, then re-install MC19 again.

It is my understanding that Sony is aware of the issue but I'm not sure with whom the fault lies.

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Sony Vegas Movie Studio 13 Crashes On Startup with MC19
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 10:58:50 am »

P.S. I also learned that Sony's Sound Forge Audio Studio 10 will NOT run properly if MC19 is installed. It will not matter if MC19 was installed prior to the installation of SFAS or not. {Sigh}

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 11:19:11 am »

You could contact Sony.  They have a fix.

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 01:07:41 pm »

Do you have evidence of this? Sony's forums are quite extensive and there's no mention of a fix. Regardless, I have contacted Sony. I'll post an update if I learn anything new.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 04:15:34 pm »

Try their support now.  If you can't get an answer, post again.

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver ASIO and Sony Vegas Products
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 02:26:15 pm »

Please be advised that JRiver's use of ASIO cause Sony Vegas products to fail. Here is what Sony recommends:

1) Uninstall JRiver temporarily, then launch Vegas, then reinstall JRiver. If you never go to the ASIO tab of the Preferences or clear your preferences, then Sony will likely never load JRiver's ASIO driver again and you won't experience a crash. This works because Sony only probes the system for ASIO drivers on the first launch of Vegas and cache the results. But anything that causes Vegas to rebuild the cache and reload the ASIO driver will crash it again.

2) Disable the JRiver ASIO driver. **This is a quick-and-dirty fix and will prevent JRiver's ASIO feature from working.**

Sony advises that they have pursued this at length with JRiver but have yet to resolve.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: JRiver ASIO and Sony Vegas Products
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 02:30:06 pm »

In MC's options,  go to General / Features and uncheck "ASIO driver".

In our opinion, opening and closing an ASIO driver shouldn't cause another program problems, and it's not clear why Sony does it.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 02:57:51 pm »

There was a post from a Sony developer recently asking to get in touch with you regarding the ASIO driver and Vegas. (I can't seem to find it now)  Did he manage get in touch with you?

Edit: It may have been this user, and the topic has now been deleted.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 03:00:27 pm »

We talked.  We weren't able to help them.  They found a work-around.  

Please use Sony support if you need help.  I don't want to speak for Sony.

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 03:31:06 pm »

My only frustration at this point is that Sony's Sound Forge Audio Editor will not run at all when MC19 is installed. I'll try what JimH detailed regarding the disabling of the ASIO driver in MC19 and advise. I'm hoping I do not loose any functionality in MC19.

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 04:31:40 pm »

Following JimH's instruction, I disabled the ASIO driver, restarted MC19, and attempted to run Sound Forge Audio Editor. It crashed on the first attempt. I shut down MC19 and SFAE launched properly. I then shut down SFAE, launched MC19, then launched SFAE again it it ran fine.

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 10:47:39 am »

I was having this exact problem, but with Sony Vegas 12, which would crash upon launch when splash screen says, "Creating Windows...". I'm using Media Center 20.

The answer for me came from this thread:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/Forums/ShowMessage.asp?Forum=4&MessageID=877208

Basically, uninstall Media Center, install Sony Vegas 12 and then reinstall Media Center. Due to a project I'm working on, I'm leaving Media Center uninstalled until I finish.

While troubleshooting, I went back to Sony Vegas 9, which also crashed upon launch. Oddly enough, the demo Sony Vegas 13 (I'm not ready to upgrade yet) did not crash. I have an open ticket with Sony about this issue.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 10:58:46 am »

The Sony programs don't like JRiver as an ASIO driver.  You can turn that feature off in MC.

Tools > Options > General > Features  and uncheck "ASIO Driver".

For some reason, Sony seems to open every ASIO driver on startup.

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 01:25:30 pm »

In my ticket with Sony, I'm asking them to work with you guys to resolve the issue. I've pointed them to this thread as well as the one in their forums:

Ultimately, I don't know whose "fault" it is, but I'm hoping that you can both work together, help each other and resolve the issue for your mutual customers.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 01:28:34 pm »

We discussed it a year or so ago.  They believe we're doing it wrong.  We don't agree.

I believe they fixed it then by ignoring JRiver's ASIO.  Newer versions of their software should work as expected.

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 01:39:50 pm »

Ah, that makes sense. When I tried the demo of Vegas 13 (recently released) it did not crash when Vegas 12 did. So I guess they did put a fix in place. They're just not going back and rolling that fix into earlier versions, which is unfortunate.

FWIW, my reference number with Sony is 150512-000028.
Pages: [1]   Go Up