INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo - Play via Bluetooth  (Read 3122 times)

JimK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Gizmo - Play via Bluetooth
« on: May 27, 2014, 09:45:43 am »

Is it possible to output music to external Bluetooth speakers using Gizmo on an Android? I have the ability to do this using the built-in music player but don't see an option in Gizmo.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Gizmo - Play via Bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:51:46 am »

Yes.  Start playback, then go to your Bluetooth settings to find the device.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 07:35:37 am »

When using Gizmo to play via Bluetooth, is the file sent "as is" or is it decoded/transcoded or something?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 06:13:51 am »

When using Gizmo to play via Bluetooth, is the file sent "as is" or is it decoded/transcoded or something?

On my Android device I get the following:
  Menu (3 vertical dots - top right of the screen) > Options > Audio quality

From there, I see 3 options:
  • Low (64kbps)
  • Medium (128kbps)
  • High (320kbps)

I've asked the question about whether the audio streaming standard will be improved:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90000.msg622597#msg622597
but as yet no response that I'm aware of.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 06:24:07 am »

Thanks.

Actually, what I meant was lets say I choose High in Gizmo, it will ask MediaCenter to transcode and pass high quality to Gizmo. Gizmo then needs to send it over bluetooth to (in my case) a set of powered desktop speakers.

How does Gizmo know what format the speakers accept? Will Gizmo send the mp3 stream over BT, or will it transcode to something the speaker accepts? Or maybe its always sent as PCM? Is there some sort of handshake between the BT device and Android?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 06:30:24 am »

Good questions.

Looking forward to the answers. Thanks for putting this up.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 06:53:59 am »

Its all up to Android what happens when playing through Bluetooth, applications don't do anything special. I imagine it recompresses it into one of the codecs that the Bluetooth audio profile specifies, either SBC, MP3 or AAC, with SBC being the only mandatory codec. You should probably read up on Bluetooth A2DP if you want to know more. Bluetooth is not high quality audio, and never lossless, because of extremely limited bandwidth.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up