INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tag changes not getting saved to files [Solved]  (Read 1286 times)

Mike48

• World Citizen
Tag changes not getting saved to files [Solved]
« on: June 08, 2014, 10:42:00 pm »

Using 19.0.137 on Windows.

Today, I corrected many "Label" tags in my audio library. Changed "RCA Red Seal" and "RCA Gold Seal" to just "RCA", for example, and fixed other labels entered several times with different spelling, capitalization, etc.

I made a Pane view with Label as a field and did this through Pane Tagging.  That was easy, but most of the changes were NOT saved to the (external) media files. WHY?  

I had previously turned ON the "save tagging changes to files" option. Now, I can't find that option anywhere in the Options tree. Is it gone?

A lot of my work is not getting backed up, because not saved to files.  What's going on here?

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: Tag changes not getting saved to files
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 12:07:11 am »

The setting for saving a field to the file tags is still there in build 137.
Tools >> Options >> Library & Folders >> ... Manage Library Fields...

What field are you saving the Label data to?  Is it a built-in stock field or a custom field?  It is possible that the field you are entering the data in is getting remapped to a tag with a different name.  How are you verifying the tags that are in the file?  Are you using MC or some external tool to verify the file tags?

There is also a command to write library fields to the tags.
Select one of the files you have edited and then go: Tools >> Library Tools >> Update Tags (from library)
That will force the library data fields to get written to tags (assuming that the field has the option set to safe the field to a file tag)
Try one file before trying many, just as a safety measure so you don't accidentally overwrite all your changes if something weird is going on.

Mike48

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 12:50:27 am »

Frobozz,

Thanks! I had no idea that the tag-save option was FIELD SPECIFIC. Looks like I'll have to go through the DB and turn it ON for each field individually.

... and it did solve the problem. For some reason, the Label field was not set to save (though every other field of interest was).

Thanks again!

Mike

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 01:14:36 am »

Be careful about which fields you change to save to file tags.

There are some fields that you probably don't want written to the tags.
For example, the Last Played field.  If you change Last Played to write to tags the file will get touched (updated) every time you play a song.  If you do backups based on when the file was last changed your backup jobs will get a lot more active needing to backup a lot more files.

Pages: [1]   Go Up