INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharing a perl script to convert AVI/MP4 to MKV without muxing/transcoding  (Read 4626 times)

raider

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi everyone,

I have written a perl script which convert AVI/MP4 files to MKV using MKVmerge. This is not something new to many of you of course but I could not find a script that displays the video file info in a table format that I would like hence I wrote one myself. Just thought I should share this here. The script is rudimentary of course but works relatively well on my system.

I have attached herewith the perl script and 2 screenshots. Not sure if there is any interest in this forum but here is my little contribution.

Cheers
Joseph

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

That's nice.  Thanks!

Does it take individual file names as arguments, or just folders?  Assuming it uses individual filenames (or can build a list and process them one-by-one internally), you could combine it with MCFileIngester to automatically replace the original file records in MC with the new files, so that all playstats and metadata are preserved after processing.

That would probably be a reasonably simple modification to the script.

Then, if you want, you could fully automate it using MCAutoQueue.  Details:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76147.0
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

raider

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 04:19:34 pm »

Hi Glynor. Thanks for the MCFileIngester and MCAutoQueue link. I m not aware of such tool and will look into using them. Great stuff.

Ekpen

Hi everyone,

I have written a perl script which convert AVI/MP4 files to MKV using MKVmerge. This is not something new to many of you of course but I could not find a script that displays the video file info in a table format that I would like hence I wrote one myself. Just thought I should share this here. The script is rudimentary of course but works relatively well on my system.

I have attached herewith the perl script and 2 screenshots. Not sure if there is any interest in this forum but here is my little contribution.

Cheers
Joseph

Greetings:
MrC has written a perl script that does similar task. It is good for all these perl scripts be unified and intergrated if possible.
Thanks.
George

raider

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 06:12:24 pm »

Hi Ekpen. Any chance for you to let me know which forum thread has this perl sdript written by MrC? Thanks

Ekpen

Re:
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 08:36:10 pm »

Hi Ekpen. Any chance for you to let me know which forum thread has this perl sdript written by MrC? Thanks

It is right on same page where you have yours. It is call pscriptor by MrC.
On this page also, there are a few more scripts by same author. MrC is the expert on perl  on this forum.
He has written amg, and a few others. maybe you can find them on same page.

Thanks

George

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I didn't know MrC had a mkvmerge muxing script...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.

@raider  - the tools is called pscriptor, and is a framework for acting on the selection of files, performing actions defined either in scriptlets or command line perl code.  Follow the link to read more.  If you are interested in being the first person to write a scriptlet (and perhaps have it included in the pscriptor releases), follow the leads of the provided sample scriptlets in the Scriptlets folder.  Feel free to ask any questions in the pscriptor thread.

@glynor, you are correct - there are no scriptlets yet that do any mkvmerge muxing.  Maybe one will soon come!
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Ekpen

Greetings:

I brought MrC in to this thread,, because he is he guy writing script using Perl. I know or through my thinking, one day he will be doing more work on his perl script.

Sorry Glynor at moment I am very limited at the moment using a PC. by Wednesday or so, I should be fine.

I still need to get you a response regarding what I asked for from you.
Thanks
George

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

mmmm Muxing Script has my interest as well.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

FYI - One use case I have is:
- Make a TV recording of a Music Video channel
- Make particles for each "track" I want to keep
- Mux these tracks out as separate files
- Delete original big file.
JRiver CEO Elect

raider

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 07:06:08 pm »

Thanks guys. I will look into the pscriptor in more details. a quick look into the forum thread give me the impression that the script is very comprehensive.

I hope scripting using pscriptor is deemed easy enough....

Ekpen

FYI - One use case I have is:
- Make a TV recording of a Music Video channel
- Make particles for each "track" I want to keep
- Mux these tracks out as separate files
- Delete original big file.

Greetings:
This was my thinking when I asked MrC if he could find a way to get those audio tracks out and with a program like dbpoweramp convert to FLACS or any other formats.
These source files could  be in mkv  residing on hard drive.
Thanks.
George

Ekpen

Glynor,

I just directed this new forum member to MrC, because MrC is the person writing scripts in Perl, no matter what the script does.

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up