INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video play back hangs after a minute, GTX 780 [solved]  (Read 2878 times)

AlexP

• Junior Woodchuck
Video play back hangs after a minute, GTX 780 [solved]
« on: June 22, 2014, 04:59:37 pm »

Hi All,

I have just finished my new HTPC with GTX 780. Sony Projector.
I have a strange problem, my video playback freezes in about a minute.

I attached CTRL/J screenshot, it always shows 47.9 hz (display). When I try to switch (Window->Resolution) to 23.9 hz, it makes no effect.

I tried switching between Red October Standard and HQ, and it makes no difference, the playback freezes.

I tried to play the same content from my hard drive and BDROM, the video stops in both cases in the same exact time.

Is there anything that I can check to narrow down the problem?

Thanks,
- Alex

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Video play back hangs after a minute, GTX 780
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 08:23:47 pm »

This is a weird one.

Could you try another source to rule out a file specific problem?  Try a DVD, for example.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AlexP

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 08:57:29 pm »

Just tried a DVD. It also stops. Looks like bluray and dvd show the same problem.

When the playback stops the CPU, the gpu load goes down. I cannot resume the video, unless I stop (not pause) it and start it again. And then in about a minute it stops again.

I had both the projector and display hooked to the video card, the projector is on hdmi and the monitor is on Dvi.
I unplugged the monitor, and left the projector only. Now I can see that it runs on 23.9 fps, but it did not make a difference.

Thanks,
Alex

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 09:10:19 pm »

We've seen weird problems like this with an anti-virus before, or possibly a VST plugin thats causing problems.
It might be a good idea to temporarily uninstall anything like this, just to get an idea what might be responsible.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

AlexP

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 09:17:53 pm »

I just setup my htpc yesterday. I do not have anti-virus. What is the vst plugin?

AlexP

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 09:23:47 pm »

Just one more quick thing, I am using the exasound asio driver. It worked good on my older htpc with jriver.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 09:45:46 pm »

Try disabling Media Center's display mode switcher (Tools → Options → Video → Display Settings) and using madVR's switcher instead, if it's switching to 48Hz and shouldn't be.
The madVR switcher lets you specify the display modes with a simple string such as 1080p24, 1080p60.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Madvr_expert_guide#Display_Modes

I think it's unlikely, but to rule out the audio hardware causing problems, set the audio output to "Null Output" in Tools → Options → Audio → Audio Device
While you're there, open up DSP Studio and make sure everything is disabled.

If it's still freezing, disable Hardware Accelerated video decoding and VideoClock in the video options.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 10:14:39 pm »

This doesn't sound like it has anything to do with display mode switching, it makes no sense to send anyone with any display problem of to mess with madVR settings. Please don't throw it around as a blanket suggestion to anyone having any kinds of video problems.

Even at the wrong refresh the video should play just fine, and especially with 48Hz being a perfect match for a 24fps video.

Anyway, it sounds like it may be somehow audio related, as the video renderer seems still functional, but for some reason the whole pipeline is stalled.
So trying to use an alternate audio device could shed some light, either WASAPI or even for testing Null.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 11:07:50 pm »

This doesn't sound like it has anything to do with display mode switching, it makes no sense to send anyone with any display problem of to mess with madVR settings.
No, but it would solve the problem of switching to 48Hz. (which is often 24PsF just like the "30Hz" display modes are usually 1080i)

AlexP

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 08:39:30 am »

It is working now.

It was certainly audio related. When I change the driver from asio to null. It started working.
I did quite a few changes and then when I put the asio driver back it was still working. I do not really know what was the exact problem.

One thing that came back and I still cannot understand is that the display fps is 47.9, and I cannot change it via Window->Screen resolution.

Alex

Re: Video play back hangs after a minute, GTX 780 [solved]
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 02:48:36 pm »

Assuming your display actually supports 24Hz, use the instructions posted here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89938.msg617796#msg617796

AlexP

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 09:02:01 am »

I finally found what forced switching to 47.9 fps.
Apparently if if switch off support for 3d in display resolution in Windows Control panel, the fps sets to 23.9 fps.

However still trying to figure out how I can switch to 29 fps when the source is bd concerts with fps = 29.
It plays with 23 fps and not smooth. My projector supports 1080i29, and I have it set in madVr.

Thanks,
Alex

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 09:35:05 am »

You should be switching to 60Hz, not 29Hz.
29Hz will be an interlaced output, 60Hz will be 1080p60.

AlexP

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 10:26:15 am »

Thanks for the hint.

But it is weird, I just spent 10 minutes playing with resolution via right click -> window -> screen resolution.

It works intermittently. Sometimes it switches to 59 fps, but leave the full screen mode, then when I force the full screen back it keeps 59 fps. But last several tries it still stays at 23 fps, and only when I am not in full screen it switches to either 59 or 60 fps.

It almost looks like something moves the operating system video settings and then cannot get back ...

Alex

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 12:03:30 pm »

Firstly, to keep things easy to understand, display refresh rate = Hz, video frame rate = fps. The two are not interchangeable.

There are a number of reasons it could be switching to 23Hz.
1. Did you set up the madVR display mode switcher at all? (note: you can only use it or the Media Center one, enabling both can be disastrous)
2. Are you using the Media Center switcher? (Tools → Options → Video → Display Settings) If so, what is it set to?
3. Are you sure that it's a 30fps video? If you hit CTRL+J while it is playing, the stats screen will display the movie framerate. (fps)

Make sure you have more than just 23Hz selected as a valid display mode with whichever switcher you are using.

AlexP

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 10:53:27 pm »

Thanks for your suggestions ...
Here are some screenshots regarding the settings (attached).

Fullscreen to not fullscreen makes the refresh rate from 23.9 Hz to 59 or 60 Hz depending on Window Resolution selected.
In full screen it is always 23.9 Hz (ctrl/j). When I try switching to any other refresh rate such as 59 or 60 Hz, I can see that the screen goes black trying to change the refresh rate, but when it comes back it is still 23.9 Hz.

any suggestions?

Thanks,
- Alex

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 11:56:43 pm »

Well firstly, do those display modes work when you switch to them in Windows?

Secondly, just use: 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p60
If your display supports 1080p, there is no reason to use 1080i, and there's no reason to use 23/59Hz if you enable VideoClock.

AlexP

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 01:00:12 am »

Yes,those display modes work in Windows.
The reduced list of supported modes in madVr work fine finally.

Thanks for your help!

- Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up