INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio - Shuffle Everything  (Read 2566 times)

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
Audio - Shuffle Everything
« on: June 29, 2014, 12:22:48 pm »

Hey,

I must be missing something. If I'm hovered (read selected) over an album/genre/artist etc. and choose shuffle all, it only shuffles what I was hovered over.

I can't seem to not hover over something so it shuffles everything, absolutely everything.

Can it be done?

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Audio - Shuffle Everything
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 01:01:48 pm »

Hey,

I must be missing something. If I'm hovered (read selected) over an album/genre/artist etc. and choose shuffle all, it only shuffles what I was hovered over.

I can't seem to not hover over something so it shuffles everything, absolutely everything.

Can it be done?

One way to do it...in Standard View, select all albums or artists using control-a, right click, play, turn on the shuffle switch in the upper right corner. While you have them selected, you can also add them to a play list.....
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 02:48:35 pm »

Thanks, but that seems poor to me.

You should be able to shuffle every track without messing about selecting them. Easily.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 04:47:07 pm »

You can also do right-click > More Play Options > Play (shuffled)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 05:04:57 pm »

If you want a one-button solution for this, go to Playlists in the sidebar, right-click it and create a new Smartlist.
Set up the rules to include all your music, including or excluding certain categories if you want. (e.g. "Media Sub Type is not Podcast", "Genre is not Classical")
Under modify results, select "Shuffle" from the drop-down list.

Now open up the Car Radio playlist group, and delete one of them.
Rename your new Smartlist to ##. Shuffle All where ## is the number of the Car Radio button you want to replace.
Drag your Smartlist into the Car Radio group.

Now you should have a button across the top of all "Playing Now" views which you can press to shuffle all tracks in your library.

At the bottom of my post, there's a link describing how you can create a Smartlist to play a random album (rather than random tracks) which might also interest you.
You can use the same process described above to make it (or any other playlist/smartlist) a Car Radio button.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 06:58:08 pm »

In Standard View, you can also highlight "Audio" in the left column, right click, play, and make sure the random play switch is on.... of course that requires selecting it, not a one-button solution unless you throw them into a car radio button.  :)
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

spiggytopes

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 10:57:29 pm »

Hi All,

That's fine, but what about those of us who want to stay in Theatre View?

Just a simple button "Always shuffle" Is it against the rules to make things easy for the people who don't like or want Standard View?

Seems to be.

or two buttons  ... "Just Shuffle this playlist or Album" (ok, that's 3 buttons, but you get the idea.) :)

Slowly getting a bit frustrated with the lack of features in Theatre View (but I won't quit JRiver, of course!).

Cheers.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 11:00:06 pm »

This is also possible.

Make a Smartlist, or View in Theater View that shows all files shuffled.  It'll change every time you open the view or list in Theater View.  Select play however you want.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 06:35:02 am »

That's fine, but what about those of us who want to stay in Theatre View?
It would have been helpful if you had mentioned that you were looking for a solution which works in Theater View.

As Glynor says, you can just create the same view there as you would for a Smartlist:

It won't quite be a one-click solution as you have to select it, then hit play.
The Car Radio button is actually a one-click solution, but not one available in Theater View.

Slowly getting a bit frustrated with the lack of features in Theatre View (but I won't quit JRiver, of course!).
It might be useful to describe what your problems are. (perhaps in a new topic)

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 02:56:13 pm »

This is also possible.

Make a Smartlist, or View in Theater View that shows all files shuffled.  It'll change every time you open the view or list in Theater View.  Select play however you want.

What a simple and neat solution, thanks!

Can't believe I didn't think of that. Are there expected 'performance' issues for larger libraries - I'm thinking of enumerating all the files in a single list.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 03:00:17 pm »

Can't believe I didn't think of that. Are there expected 'performance' issues for larger libraries - I'm thinking of enumerating all the files in a single list.

The performance of Smartlists is really good.  You're fine up to a few hundred thousand files.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up