INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow motion video playback  (Read 6368 times)

bulldogger

• World Citizen
Slow motion video playback
« on: July 03, 2014, 01:21:41 am »

Are there any plans to add slow motion playback for video? It's the one thing I miss when using a stand alone blu-ray player.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Slow motion video playback
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 01:50:31 am »

You can do it manually using the DSP Studio (see pic) while the video is playing.  Note: you have to have "Video Clock" OFF (Tools--> Options--> Video) or it will override any changes you make.
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 09:08:17 am »

Useful  to know that trick, jmone. But we have to admit that it's not as convenient as if it were available on the OSD, or by remote/keyboard shortcut.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 04:07:51 pm »

Yeah, I don't know how you would assign that to a button (I don't think there is a MCC, I see there is now a MCWS command for the DSP but I think it just toggles DSP functions ON/OFF and not fine grained controlled).

Like all things, if there was enough interest then the JR team may be keen.
JRiver CEO Elect

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 08:19:15 am »

You can do it manually using the DSP Studio (see pic) while the video is playing.  Note: you have to have "Video Clock" OFF (Tools--> Options--> Video) or it will override any changes you make.
Ok. Thanks. At least it can be done even if the method is not elegant.

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 08:25:58 am »

Yeah, I don't know how you would assign that to a button (I don't think there is a MCC, I see there is now a MCWS command for the DSP but I think it just toggles DSP functions ON/OFF and not fine grained controlled).

I think it would be a good idea. I'm really suprised that most programs for video playback on a PC lag behind the feature set of 1980's vintage VCRs. Slow motion playback for VCR goes back at least 30 years. I concede that it most not be that much of a demanded feature for this to be the case.

connersw

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 09:45:24 am »

The request seems to come up ~once every other month or so, and the recommendation is always to use Tempo & Pitch in DSP.  I think the idea is not to clutter up the OSD with something that would not be used very regularly (which I tend to agree with).  Perhaps a MCC or MCWS command that could be programmed into a remote or keyboard shortcut would be a good idea though.

zoom+slomo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 10:49:58 am »

Are there any plans to add slow motion playback for video? It's the one thing I miss when using a stand alone blu-ray player.

Useful  to know that trick, jmone. But we have to admit that it's not as convenient as if it were available on the OSD, or by remote/keyboard shortcut.

The request seems to come up ~once every other month or so, and the recommendation is always to use Tempo & Pitch in DSP.  I think the idea is not to clutter up the OSD with something that would not be used very regularly (which I tend to agree with).  Perhaps a MCC or MCWS command that could be programmed into a remote or keyboard shortcut would be a good idea though.

Upon completion of my new home theater pc build I will be installing JRiver upon assurance from users here that it is the only Windows player, which like my Pioneer LX500 BD player, allows your remote to center any part of a zoomed image on the screen. How many BD players, much less TVs, allow you to do that?

But like others here I too find slow motion useful and fun to use. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?action=search2 
As Bulldogger said, slow motion has been a basic feature in all physical media format players going back to VCRs and both it and zoom offer ways to enhance the home theater experience. Accordingly, I would ask JRiver developers to at least begin writing the code to simplify slow motion access via remote, to refine the smoothness of its motion and to offer at least 4 or 5 slo mo speeds. Thank you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up