INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File convert options or Multiple Tag trackname changes  (Read 3827 times)

Jettgod

• Recent member
File convert options or Multiple Tag trackname changes
« on: July 17, 2014, 03:24:47 am »

Hi,

I have a music library of about 8000 tracks collected over many years, and over the recent period I have been working to get them all into FLAC format (still a long way to go)

I have about 400+ OGG files scattered across my 300+ playlists which I need to upgrade to FLAC and have just discovered your “File convert” option.

Tried it out on one file and it worked exactly as it was supposed to, even placed the new FLAC file in the correct positions within the playlists...................... brilliant!

However, I need to readily identify these “Conversions” so that if the opportunity arises at a later date to get hold of a higher quality version of the track (CD FLAC rip etc.) then I can upgrade/replace the conversions.

Consequently, I want to add  - (XOGG) to the end of the track name, so that whenever I play the track, or burn it to CD, or wherever the track name is displayed I am always aware that it is not the highest quality FLAC track.

Clearly this is not an issue for a single conversion, I will just change it in the tag option, but is there any way I can automate this for a batch conversion of 400??

To approach this problem from a different way, if I highlight a number of tracks from the library during a tag operation, the Track Name correctly displays [various], if I then try to add “XOGG” before or after the brackets, then click enter, it does not retain what was in the brackets............. it simply replaces all of the highlighted track names with “XOGG”.................. clearly not what I wanted!

Any clues/hints appreciated!   

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: File convert options or Multiple Tag trackname changes
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 07:05:07 am »

You need to include an = sign.

=[name]-XOGG

Jettgod

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 02:58:11 pm »

Thanks for the response  (=[name]-XOGG) but that does not seem to solve the problem.  I now have two test tracks in the Library, and the only tag information they have is a track name - one is called "FRED" and the other is called Jane. When I highlight then individually the track names FRED Or Jane show correctly in the tag edit box on the left. However when I highlight them both in the Library, then in the tag box they will just display with "Various" in the track name - all quite correctly.

However when I change the [various] as you have indicated  so I now have ......  =[various] (XOGG) and hit the return key instead of the two track names changing to "FRED (XOGG)" and "Jane (XOGG)" they are both now "various (XOGG)"

Have I missed something?

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 07:39:23 pm »

Thanks for the response  (=[name]-XOGG) but that does not seem to solve the problem.  I now have two test tracks in the Library, and the only tag information they have is a track name - one is called "FRED" and the other is called Jane. When I highlight then individually the track names FRED Or Jane show correctly in the tag edit box on the left. However when I highlight them both in the Library, then in the tag box they will just display with "Various" in the track name - all quite correctly.

However when I change the [various] as you have indicated  so I now have ......  =[various] (XOGG) and hit the return key instead of the two track names changing to "FRED (XOGG)" and "Jane (XOGG)" they are both now "various (XOGG)"

Have I missed something?

You need to use the example exactly as I typed it:

=[name]-XOGG

[name] is an expression that calls the current track name. So you're asking JRiver to append -Xogg to the current name for each track (you don't have to use the hyphen if you don't want)

Jettgod

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 09:15:57 am »

Thank for the further response, and I apologise for my slow reply!

Yes this works fine now..................... I did not initially realise that I was supposed to replace/overwrite the [various] with =[name]-XOGG.

This will save me so much time, fit in with any future proofing for digital streaming, and allow easy identification for a possible future change to a "Full FLAC Upgrade"

Top Man!
Pages: [1]   Go Up