INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Configuire IFI IDSD Nano for jriver 19  (Read 6209 times)

ajitelsy

Configuire IFI IDSD Nano for jriver 19
« on: July 17, 2014, 05:55:40 pm »

Hi,
Just bought a IFI IDSD Nano but it is only playing at 44100 hz on JRiver 19 need to know how to configure JRiver 19 so I can play 192/24 & DSD files.Thanks

junvel

Re: Configuire IFI IDSD Nano for jriver 19
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 09:14:12 pm »

Were u able to solve the problem ?,I just got my ifi nano DSD and I'm having problem configuring it too?

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 12:44:41 pm »

Wow - are you guys still having problems with this?

I have an iDSD Nano and iDSD Micro that work just great with JR Media Center. I transcode everything to DSD 256 for the iDSD Nano and get absolutely superb sound, but it also with every other resolution I have sent it, up to 384k.

What platform are you using? Windows? If so, you will need to adjust and select the correct ASIO driver.

-Paul

jshowalter

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 09:06:26 pm »

Very interested in this topic, because I need a DAC/headphone amp for the office that can play native DSD.

I don't care about portability, because it will always be connected to a laptop (in fact, I don't need a battery, but they don't make one without).

I plan to hook it up like this:

Home media server -> copy files to 1 TB flash -> plug flash into work laptop (Windows 7 Pro) -> JRiver software to orchestrate everything -> output to USB port -> connected to iFi iDSD micro -> headphones

To be clear, there is no plan to store the data on the laptop--I just want to stream it from the flash drive and out through the USB port.

Is that a sane configuration?

Related question: If I'm just sending the data out through the USB port, why do I need a special Windows driver? It's just a USB bus, no DAC'ing performed on the laptop.

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 09:46:48 pm »

Very interested in this topic, because I need a DAC/headphone amp for the office that can play native DSD.

I don't care about portability, because it will always be connected to a laptop (in fact, I don't need a battery, but they don't make one without).

I plan to hook it up like this:

Home media server -> copy files to 1 TB flash -> plug flash into work laptop (Windows 7 Pro) -> JRiver software to orchestrate everything -> output to USB port -> connected to iFi iDSD micro -> headphones

To be clear, there is no plan to store the data on the laptop--I just want to stream it from the flash drive and out through the USB port.

Is that a sane configuration?

Related question: If I'm just sending the data out through the USB port, why do I need a special Windows driver? It's just a USB bus, no DAC'ing performed on the laptop.

Perfectly sane and doable. You are actually making the files locally available to the laptop with the flash drive. You could also just use a portable USB drive.

Talking to a DAC is not like talking to a drive, it uses a completely different protocol. USB Audio 2.0 is not the same as USB 2.0. In this case, you need a special ASIO Windows driver to send high sample rate or DSD data to the Dac. The good news is the driver is included with the DAC and is also downloadable from iFi.

It takes about five mins to load the driver and tell MC to use it. ;)

jshowalter

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 09:54:20 pm »

Thank you very much!

By flash drive, I just meant a big portable plug-in solid-state device that uses a USB port, for example: http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Turbo-128GB-Flash-Drive/dp/B00FE2N1WS/.

For SACD sampling rates (DSD64), I'm assuming a USB 2.0 connection is fast enough to stream?

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 06:33:51 am »

Yes, USB 2.0 is able to support DSD, DSD128, DSD256, and even DSD512. I am not sure MC 19 will recognize the 8x rates.

One of the more interesting things to try is allow MC to transcode CD quality files up to DSD128 or above. Some people love it, some hate it, and some can not hear a difference. But it is fun to try out, along with native DSD files from SACDs and download sources of course.

P.S. The flash drive would work fine, but you might consider a small portable USB  spinning drive for about the same money. I like these guys, which you can often pick up for about $50.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Basics-Portable-Drive/dp/B005J7YBRW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1428320273&sr=8-8&keywords=portable+usb+drive

jshowalter

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 12:34:11 pm »

Thank you again for your help! I ordered an iFi micro DSD last night, and a flash drive. It's interesting that USB 2.0 can handle even 512. I'll try transcoding a few CDs. I'm running v20.

jshowalter

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 04:20:18 pm »

Took all of five minutes to set it up, and I am delighted with JRiver, this forum, and the iFi. Just really wonderful, all around.

I want to do the same for my wife, but she uses a Chromebook. Is that possible?

jshowalter

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 11:14:43 pm »

Here is what iFi said:

Q: We have two of these. My work laptop is Windows-based, and it was trivial to install the ASIO driver and fire up JRiver. I want to hook the second one up to my wife's Chromebook. How do I do that?

A: Thank you for your kind enquiry and for purchasing the iDSD micro.

Chromebook is a Linux based OS which requires no driver to be installed as this is already USB audio class to native, hence no driver is needed.

However Linux is an open source OS and we don't fully support this, but do let us know how you get on.

http://ifi-audio.com/downloads/

Any further questions then please don't hesitate to ask.
Pages: [1]   Go Up