INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem starting video files  (Read 2797 times)

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
Problem starting video files
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:05:01 pm »

For 2-3 weeks i have developed a problem pkaing video files. Doesnt seem to matter what type though most are TS files. I have the newest release. Every time I click on a video file via theater view iy will either freeze or a circling icon appears, says "opening" and literally takes 3-5 minutes to open. It is getting worse and impossible to use now.

I cant think of anything I've done differently. Dont know what other info I can provide that will help. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problem starting video files
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:02:18 pm »

Do you have audio and no picture (black screen), or nothing at all?
Could be an anti-virus update has changed things for you?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:08:17 pm »

Every time I click on a video file via theater view iy will either freeze or a circling icon appears, says "opening" and literally takes 3-5 minutes to open.

Are you playing files which are one (or more) of the following:

1. Served by another copy of MC elsewhere on your network, and the problem occurs on the clients but not directly on the server?
2. Stored on a NAS or other network drive?
3. Stored on a USB disk?

If #1, which I think is the most likely from your description, the problem is that the client copies of MC no longer have access to the source files over the network in the exact same location as the server has imported them (the network drive isn't mounted).  That means that to play the file, MC has to transcode it and stream it out, which is fairly slow (since it has to convert the video format on the fly).  And, of course, that'll impact quality.

You need to mount a network volume on the clients that matches the one seen by the server.  So if, for example, all of your files are imported on the server at a path like:
M:\Video\TV Show\Game of Thrones\04\s04e07 - Mockingbird.ts

Then that same exact path has to be available on the client.  If so, then the clients will open the file directly and no transcoding or streaming is required (this is best reserved for streaming over the Internet when you're away from home).  At home, on a LAN, it is best if the server and the client can both see the files in the same spot.

NOTE: There is also a client side option for this, which could have gotten turned off.  It is on by default, though, so unless you were fiddling, it should be on.  Ensure this option is still enabled: Tools > Options > Media Network > Client Options > Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found.

If #2 or #3, then read this:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Network_and_Slow_Storage

And report back what you've learned.  One thing, though... Many slow external disks (particularly crappy USB external disks) really perform badly when they are almost full.  Your TS files are probably pretty high bitrate, so it is possible the disk just doesn't have the throughput for playback, so it is essentially "buffering".

Lastly... It could be anti-virus.  A good test for this is to uninstall the AV program and see if the issue vanishes.  If so, then you know it is some kind of AV-caused issue, and can try to set up exclusions similar to those described in the general troubleshooting guide:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_Troubleshooting_Guide
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 03:41:51 pm »

Thank you, glynor, for such a detailed response. Lot's of good trouble shooting ideas. I'll post my results.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 04:57:40 pm »

Glynor....first some idtl info about my system;

- I have 2 CAPS Zuma servers built by Small Green Computer based on specs from Computer Audiophile. They only have MC install, Chrome and the traditional windows 8 stuff.

- One is installed in my living room and was originally setup for Video only.

- The 2nd is installed in my theater ans setup for Audio/music only.

- My NAS is a Synology Diskstation 1812+. has about 15TB, half of which is still available.I got the fastest processing on all components i could

- Everything is hard wired. Don't use wi-fi for any of this.

Are you playing files which are one (or more) of the following:

1. Served by another copy of MC elsewhere on your network, and the problem occurs on the clients but not directly on the server? Don't think so...using "Main Library".
2. Stored on a NAS or other network drive?
3. Stored on a USB disk?  Do not use these

If #1, which I think is the most likely from your description, the problem is that the client copies of MC no longer have access to the source files over the network in the exact same location as the server has imported them (the network drive isn't mounted).  That means that to play the file, MC has to transcode it and stream it out, which is fairly slow (since it has to convert the video format on the fly).  And, of course, that'll impact quality.

You need to mount a network volume on the clients that matches the one seen by the server.  So if, for example, all of your files are imported on the server at a path like:
M:\Video\TV Show\Game of Thrones\04\s04e07 - Mockingbird.ts

Then that same exact path has to be available on the client.  If so, then the clients will open the file directly and no transcoding or streaming is required (this is best reserved for streaming over the Internet when you're away from home).  At home, on a LAN, it is best if the server and the client can both see the files in the same spot.

NOTE: There is also a client side option for this, which could have gotten turned off.  It is on by default, though, so unless you were fiddling, it should be on.  Ensure this option is still enabled: Tools > Options > Media Network > Client Options > Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found.    This was set as default, as you suggested it would be.

If #2 or #3, then read this:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Network_and_Slow_Storage

Didn't see anything here at the link above that may be an issue

And report back what you've learned.  One thing, though... Many slow external disks (particularly crappy USB external disks) really perform badly when they are almost full.  Your TS files are probably pretty high bitrate, so it is possible the disk just doesn't have the throughput for playback, so it is essentially "buffering".

Lastly... It could be anti-virus.  A good test for this is to uninstall the AV program and see if the issue vanishes.  If so, then you know it is some kind of AV-caused issue, and can try to set up exclusions similar to those described in the general troubleshooting guide:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_Troubleshooting_Guide

I turned off the AV and it made no difference.

I'm simply stumped. Plus the fact I am not tech savvy doesn't help!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 05:17:53 pm »

Unfortunately, turning off the AV application may not be enough to rule it in or out.  Quite often, when you "turn them off" it only actually turns off the "actions" that they do when they detect something, and the rest of their interfering ways remain.

The easiest way to rule it in or out is to uninstall it completely.

I can say that if it is Windows Defender (which you can't uninstall) then that's not the problem, and you can tame it using these instructions if you want to anyway:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Taming_Windows_Defender

I'm not sure that's the problem, but in a brief read of the above, it was the one thing that stood out.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 06:54:16 pm »

glynor, i did make the changes in defender you suggested. The bahaviore does seem to be a bit better over all in operatrion but I still am experiencing the same results with the TS files I recorded from my cable cards. These were never a problem before as i mentioned.

However, I did just notice something odd. All of my home movies play immediately just as my Tv recordings used to. Most of those are AVCHD. Also, some of my sons video he got from the internet, (Batman cartoons, etc) also work immediately. I really appreciate your help so far but don't expect you to travel down what appears to be a long road. However, of course i welcome any other suggestions you or others may have.

Thanks!!!

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 07:21:14 pm »

You know, I am also having trouble watching HD Cable channels like discovery HD, History HD, USA HD, etc. Sometimes I will get a frozen picture immediately, then audio pops on but video doesn'tr go live. Other times the video starts for a second but then audio & video both stop, maybe studder once or twice, then completely stop. I don't seem to have this problem with standard def stations. I'm using a HDHome Run

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 08:20:03 pm »

Is it specific only to those files?  Do other similar quality HD files of a different type (maybe MKVs or whatever) not do it?

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 08:29:41 pm »

To clarify, my last post regardin cable tv was referring to Live tv, if that wasn't clear.

As far as video files not working, I wasn't able to continue testing tonite. But the HD AVCHD files all seemed to work immediately upon clicking on them. What appears to be a problem are the rdcorded cable channels ts files.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 08:39:15 pm »

That's what I thought. The live TV would have the same characteristics.  Can you make a smallish one (just record for a few minutes) and post it?  You can use Dropbox or WikiSend to make a public link.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 08:50:08 pm »

Yes. Will do tomorrow eveving. Thx

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 05:18:18 pm »

Glynor, sorry for delay.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/26cifuhkkm3jakj/AAC8BfHtEfTlfn5_K17RrO4Fa

I hope this link works. Pls let me know either way.

I have included what appears to be a partially recorded episode of "House" from earlier this morning.

I don't know if you'll be able to tell anything from this but do appreciate you taking a look.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 07:19:51 pm »

Glynor,

I apparently had some issues with my HDHomeRunPrime. This may have caused some if not all of my issues. Therefore, I am resetting the HDPrime up. I will let you know if this has resolved any of my issues. It may take a couple days.

I know a few versions back MC had some issues with recording when more shows were scheduled to be recorded than there were tuners. I believe somehow I lost 2 of my 3 tuners and this may have been the beginning of some or all of my problems.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up