INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [REQ] Allow VST Plugins To Downmix Audio  (Read 3905 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
[REQ] Allow VST Plugins To Downmix Audio
« on: July 31, 2014, 03:28:39 pm »

Currently, the Output Format DSP is fixed at the top of the DSP Studio.

This means that if you are a headphone user, where everything needs to be mixed down to 2 channels, dowmixing is the first step that happens to the audio.

This prevents the use of any VST Plugins that do advanced signal processing to transform a multichannel source into a binaural headphone mix for 3D positional audio.

I don't know what the solution for this is though, whether it would "simply" mean allowing Output Format to be somewhere on the plugin list other than the top, or separating the channel mixing options from the resampling ones.

This option could also potentially pave the way for AstoundSound support in MC. (either licensed, or through a plugin)

And - on a related note - it would be really nice if you supported Dolby Headphone via DOLBYHPH.DLL, similar to the way that DTS-HD Decoding is handled via dtsdecoderdll.dll.
It's far from the best 3D audio support for headphone use, but it's bundled with a lot of software, and it does work to give you much more directional audio rather than the basic panning effects we are stuck with just now.

elderavelas

• World Citizen
Re: [REQ] Allow VST Plugins To Downmix Audio
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 10:12:47 pm »

+1.
Currently I am getting to use TB_Isone_Surround VST to make a "binaural" downmix because my DAC's ASIO driver seems to not care receiving multichannel streams despite it is a stereo DAC. If not downmixed it plays Left and Right channels only disregarding the remaining channels. This way JRiver accepts the multichannel input (as the ASIO driver does not complains) and the TB_IsoneSurround can downmix all channels with the binaural effect. If using WASAPI, however, JRiver stops playing saying that the device does not support the multichannel input. I wonder if changing to a different DAC with a different ASIO driver we may no longer be able to use the VST to process the downmixing.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 10:14:40 pm »

My DAC won't accept a multichannel signal via ASIO.
I assume the driver for yours must drop everything but the left and right channels.

elderavelas

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 08:50:43 pm »

My DAC won't accept a multichannel signal via ASIO.
I assume the driver for yours must drop everything but the left and right channels.

Exactly.
My DAC is a Yulong Audio Sabre DA8. What is your DAC?

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 09:29:16 pm »

Exactly.
My DAC is a Yulong Audio Sabre DA8. What is your DAC?
Benchmark DAC2

elderavelas

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 12:54:17 pm »

Benchmark DAC2
It looks like the Yulong ASIO driver is not as well written as the Benchmark's one. Or maybe it is just a decision of the driver programmer what to do with the multichannel stream. It can simply accept it and then ignore the not supported channels or tell the player that the format is not supported. I was not so lucky with the WASAPI driver. It does not accept multichannel streams.
You can try using the foo_dsd_asio proxy instead of using the Benchmark's ASIO driver directly as the audio device.
Pages: [1]   Go Up