INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote 3.05 +  (Read 15194 times)

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
JRemote 3.05 +
« on: August 07, 2014, 04:48:51 am »

I am starting a new generic thread about JRemote for version information and feedback.

The new version 3.05 is now available in the app store. Here is the change log.

Added:
- Scale images in thumbnail view by pinch zooming
- Stream transcoded movies with selectable quality (Seeking not yet fully implemented)
- "Sync play count" added to settings. Will update your play count when streaming to device.
- Every view now shows a header with item count

Changed:
- Local search is now always visible in the lower right corner of the screen. 
- Design changes. Basically a lighter light theme and darker dark theme.
- load/save/edit controls added to right edge playlist(iPad).
- load/save playlist moved to dedicated buttons in “Now playing” view (iPad).
- Custom index bar that shows every letter without truncation

Fixed:
- No landscape orientation when streaming movies on iPhone
- PlayDoctor not working correctly
- A number of performance enhancements and smaller bug fixes.
- Generally faster network access. 

There is one issue in this version regarding connection checks. It will basically never disconnect even if MC is not reachable.
You have to reconnect manually.

The next version with a fix for this as well as the option to add individual files to playlist will be out very soon.

amsco15

• World Citizen
Re: JRemote 3.05 +
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 07:00:17 am »

The next version with a fix for this as well as the option to add individual files to playlist will be out very soon.

Yes!!

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 08:19:08 am »

LesPaul

Have upgraded an iPad Air with no problem.
My iPhone 5s however gets stuck at a loading screen when browsing to an album in many random cases.
This was not present in 3.01 on the iPhone before.
Both devices are on the same wifi network and connecting to the same server

Zero_G

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 08:57:08 am »

iPad Air 

I'm no longer able to play anything to "This Device" with this version.  It crashes every time I try to play any song in any configuration.  Please fix this as soon as you can.  I use this method of play with one of my headphone amp/dac setups all the time.   :'(

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 09:02:28 am »

I also had a major install issue on my 5s!!!  Not sure if it will work on my home network yet but suspect there is a major problem.  Sure wish Apple had a way to let you roll back to previous installs. 

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 09:18:23 am »

iPad Air 

I'm no longer able to play anything to "This Device" with this version.  It crashes every time I try to play any song in any configuration.  Please fix this as soon as you can.  I use this method of play with one of my headphone amp/dac setups all the time.   :'(

ditto, i cant play anything, regardless of how i try - playlists, album view, you name it, crashes as soon as i press the play icon.
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 09:44:30 am »

Zero_G, you seem to be right.

It is crashing on local playback when downloading from the app store. When I run it locally it works fine.
I have contacted apple for help on this.

Have also requested an expedited review for a new build i made just in case.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 09:59:33 am »

I also had a major install issue on my 5s!!!  Not sure if it will work on my home network yet but suspect there is a major problem.  Sure wish Apple had a way to let you roll back to previous installs. 

What was your issue?

Camver

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 10:04:56 am »

I'm also having a problem playing music files to my iPad 3 from my local music server; when I try the app simply closes.

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 10:18:31 am »

What was your issue?

I'm at work and saw the update available.  At first, everything initially installed normally.  I loaded the app just to take a quick look.  The app loaded normally and looked for JRiver and couldn't find it (as anticipated since I'm not on my network at home and don't have the system configured for remote access).  I unloaded the JRemote and went about my business.  A couple minutes later, I noticed JRemote was installing again on my phone.  Don't understand why but I let it run.  The reinstall progress stuck at about 65% complete.  At that point, I re-synched my phone to iTunes (phone is connected to my work computer) and JRemote installed again from my computer.   I have not checked to see if the program operates correctly since I'm not connected to my home network but it does show version 3.05 as installed when I load the app.

Another odd issue.  If I look at the updates purchased on my phone, JRemote does not show up as recently updated (typically listing all the recent changes).

Hope that helps, Dale

Zero_G

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 10:31:02 am »

Zero_G, you seem to be right.

It is crashing on local playback when downloading from the app store. When I run it locally it works fine.
I have contacted apple for help on this.

Have also requested an expedited review for a new build i made just in case.

Thanks

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 10:39:19 am »

Well, after further investigation I have found the cause of the "This device" crash.
A new version has already been uploaded and an expedited review has been requested.

If lucky, the fix should be in the app store later today.
Sorry about the mess.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 10:42:00 am »

amsco15, seems like your issue is more of an iOS problem. The actual update/install process of JRemote is completely handled by the OS and nothing we have any control over.

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 10:43:05 am »

- Stream transcoded movies with selectable quality (Seeking not yet fully implemented)
On the subject of transcoding, could we have the option to transcode audio to WAV instead of MP3? (actually ALAC would be ideal, but I don't think Media Center has that option)

An option to only transcode unsupported formats would be great.

- Scale images in thumbnail view by pinch zooming
This is a really nice implementation - I wish Media Center handled thumbnail scaling this well.

One thing I don't like is if you change the scale and then step up a level, you have to wait for it to redraw.
For example, set the scale for a top-level view to 3 columns, go down a view (e.g. artist → album) and set it to 8.
Then go back to the artist view - you have to wait for the icons to be shuffled around before you can interact with them. It would be nice if you could skip this.

Something that might be nice would be a "scale to fit" option.
I have a top-level view which has 26 items; A-Z and #
Then it lists artist names, and finally albums.
It might be nice if it scaled from a view which displayed all 26 items on-screen (8 columns) to the minimum number of columns required to display the current items without scrolling. (e.g. 4 columns when there are 8 items, 6 columns when there are 14 etc.)

- Design changes. Basically a lighter light theme and darker dark theme.
This is a nice improvement over the old skin.
It is still a bit "monochrome" and doesn't distinguish between labels and controls very well though, in my opinion, and I wish you would replace the blues/greens with the system colors.

I would like an option to disable the 30/60 controls.
I don't like the search button covering up the albums in the lower-right.

I feel like the search button in the sidebar should be a list item rather than covering it up.
This, combined with moving the thumbnail into the sidebar, has greatly reduced the number of items which can be displayed.

P.S. I hate that the thumbnail height does not match the toolbar height.

- Custom index bar that shows every letter without truncation
Thanks for the fix!

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 11:12:14 am »

6233638, you`re a difficult man to please but I appreciate you input:)

The cover art was moved to make more space for current and future controls. The cost was of course losing vertical space in the menu. I`ll think of ways to gain a few of those pixels back later.

I`ll get back to some of your other comments later.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 12:19:49 pm »

Hi Lespaul.

Which movie formats are we now able to stream?

Thanks

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 01:34:26 pm »

3.06 is available already.

Zero_G

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 01:39:06 pm »

That's great news.  I'll try it out after work.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 02:01:51 pm »

Hi Lespaul.

Which movie formats are we now able to stream?

Thanks

You can now stream every format. MC will transcode all unsupported formats.

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 02:25:27 pm »

Even on the highest quality setting, video doesn't seem to be 24fps, is it just me?
Using the lower quality settings seem to result in an even lower framerate, so I'm not sure that it's due to something like CPU limitations.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 02:37:07 pm »

Even on the highest quality setting, video doesn't seem to be 24fps, is it just me?
Using the lower quality settings seem to result in an even lower framerate, so I'm not sure that it's due to something like CPU limitations.
I'm sure I read/heard somewhere that iOS doesn't do anything less than 30fps? Maybe I'm wrong?

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 02:46:32 pm »

JRemote 3.06 when streaming a video, the "time remaining" slide does not appear to show the correct time remaining and does not allow you to slide to the right to advance the video. It does, but only a min or so.

Thank you Les Paul for fixing the landscape video streaming.  Great update.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 02:50:17 pm »

You can now stream every format. MC will transcode all unsupported formats.
Fantastic. I seem to have missed the fanfare of that announcement!

Brilliant news.

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 04:05:40 pm »

many thanks for the quick turnaround and fix for 3.05, i've installed 3.06 and can play again. appreciated.
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

Camver

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 04:14:46 pm »

Many thanks for such a quick resolution of the local playback problem.

As far as the overall look is concerned, I usually listen with low lighting so the subdued and non garish look of the "dark" option is great in that it doesn't distract, whilst at the same time is easy to read and operate.

To see how it shouldn't (IMHO) be done just look at what Sonos has done to their app. In fact it was that change that made me look for an alternative and I have been very pleased with JRiver with JRemote. Great software backed up by developers who listen. Excellent!

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2014, 05:07:39 pm »

Loaded 3.06 on the iPhone 5S and over 4G it seems to be back functioning how it was in 3.01
Will try on WiFi later when I get home, but hopefully that will just work now.

Thanks!

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 01:06:17 am »

Hi and thanks for the update.

I always use the JRemote with the dark theme, but the "splash screen" when it is loading is not dark. It was some versions ago... Could you put a dark splash screen when it is loading?

Here is the screen I am talking about.

dtb300

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2014, 07:26:05 am »

Zone Switching - When starting up JRemote while a song is playing, the right cover and right zone is displayed.   

If I play a song which changes to another zone, the album cover will update, but the zone button will not.  But if you hit the zone button, JRemote shows the correct zone as Active, but the button still shows the previous zone.   And if the Active Zone is not the zone shown on the button, you cannot choose that active zone and have it appear on the button.

I have APP following Server selected in configuration.  And I have Pop-Ups enabled too.

tyler69

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2014, 08:40:20 am »

Fantastic. I seem to have missed the fanfare of that announcement!

Brilliant news.

+1. Really great, that it's working now. Is it possible to turn on subs/change streams when streaming videos to an iPad?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2014, 08:42:25 am »

Is it possible to turn on subs/change streams when streaming videos to an iPad?

No, it'll use the same streams/subs as MC would use during playback.
If you switch it in MC, it'll "stick" and JRemote will also use another stream or activate subs.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

renpetra

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 09:32:11 am »

Is not working on ios 8 beta 4

Parser fail    Time out

Rene

tyler69

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 10:29:49 am »

Thanks Hendrik.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2014, 02:30:13 pm »

Hi and thanks for the update.

I always use the JRemote with the dark theme, but the "splash screen" when it is loading is not dark. It was some versions ago... Could you put a dark splash screen when it is loading?

Here is the screen I am talking about.

The problem is that you can only have one splash screen. It can`t be changed depending on theme selected.
Anyway, the splash screen will change later, probably to something equally light and dark.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2014, 02:32:10 pm »

Zone Switching - When starting up JRemote while a song is playing, the right cover and right zone is displayed.   

If I play a song which changes to another zone, the album cover will update, but the zone button will not.  But if you hit the zone button, JRemote shows the correct zone as Active, but the button still shows the previous zone.   And if the Active Zone is not the zone shown on the button, you cannot choose that active zone and have it appear on the button.

I have APP following Server selected in configuration.  And I have Pop-Ups enabled too.

Thank you for reporting, Will be fixed for next version.
The probable cause is the "App follows server" setting.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 02:33:36 pm »

Is not working on ios 8 beta 4

Parser fail    Time out

Rene

iOS8 support will be added soon

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2014, 04:30:52 pm »

Odd issue here: when transcoded video streams to an iDevice, the server copy of MC becomes very sluggish, and in fact the computer as a whole slows down as well. Anyone else experiences this?

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2014, 07:18:16 pm »

Odd issue here: when transcoded video streams to an iDevice, the server copy of MC becomes very sluggish, and in fact the computer as a whole slows down as well. Anyone else experiences this?
Transcoding requires a lot of CPU power.
For now at least - since it is not hardware accelerated.

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 07:22:29 pm »

Decided to hook up to one of the clients instead. It's a faster computer and is only dedicated to MC. It still has to "Samba" the files, but it's a huge improvement. I should really upgrade my workstation ...

renpetra

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2014, 02:54:46 am »

Thanx les paul

Love the new layout and even faster coverflow super.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2014, 07:15:18 am »

Aspect ratio is a bit wonky on jtv files. Recorded as 16:9, but shown on iPhone as 4:3 and a bit squashy side-to-side.

Also ISO files are not being streamed (I'm not surprised though!). I guess I'll have to copy all my isos into a folder structure now.

dtb300

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2014, 09:35:50 am »

Thank you for reporting, Will be fixed for next version.
The probable cause is the "App follows server" setting.
The Album art changing is hit or miss...sometimes it changes, sometimes it does not.

Thanks for the reply...

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2014, 12:59:30 pm »

I think I was one of the early "complainers" about the color scheme change. I believe in a subsequent update that it was "toned" down somewhat. I hadn't looked at settings recently until I noticed the update today so I believe the ability to turn off the color scheme is new. Anyways I have done so and guess what?  I actually prefer the color scheme now. I may have gotten use to it but I like the subtle contrast changes with cover art changes. Please "remove me" from the complainers list. Nice job.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

Vocalpoint

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2014, 09:37:32 am »

I ran into an issue last night with 3.06...was relaxing in bed with phones on - running a playlist - that contained 12 tracks - several with different bit/sample rates.

But as soon as the first 16/44 track was fading away and moving to the next track (24/96) JRemote simply stopped playing.

I immediately jumped back onto the iPad to see what was up. I found I could play the second track if I finally pressed Play on it. But there was no way it was going to play by itself inside a playlist. I then tried a few 16/44's back to back in same playlist and they played fine.

Finally - the ability to "scrub" into a track - while playing (Using the slider at the bottom of the window) has seemed to have gone south. I found this when trying to immediately go close to the end of a track to test the above sample rate issue.

I would move the scrub slider to say 30 seconds to go - and the app would just freeze. Slider would not move and track would not play.

VP

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2014, 03:48:18 pm »

I ran into an issue last night with 3.06...was relaxing in bed with phones on - running a playlist - that contained 12 tracks - several with different bit/sample rates.

But as soon as the first 16/44 track was fading away and moving to the next track (24/96) JRemote simply stopped playing.

This is fixed and will be part of the next small release. Thank you for reporting.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2014, 03:56:14 pm »

This is fixed and will be part of the next small release. Thank you for reporting.

Excellent.

Anything on the "scrub" issue or is it me?

VP

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2014, 01:46:38 pm »

New version submitted to the app store. Basically just bug fixes.

Version 3.07

Added:
   - Icon for refreshing category views

Changed:
   - MP4 videos are now streamed without transcoding

Fixed:
   - Error when switching between tracks of different frequency
   - Loading screen can sometimes get stuck (iPhone)
   - "App follows server" not always picking up zone and track changes

Regarding iOS8, I have no issues running beta5 with JRemote. Could someone else running beta5 verify?

Zero_G

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2014, 02:13:34 pm »

I noticed that the turn off popups in the settings doesn't work.  It always stays on.  I have several mkv videos that play about 6 to 7 minutes then stop as if they are done.  I need to test all the video formats I have.

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2014, 05:11:55 pm »

Version 2.07

I believe you mean version 3.07 - but we'll forgive you this time

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2014, 03:32:48 am »

Version 2.07
I believe you mean version 3.07 - but we'll forgive you this time

Oops, fixed.

pcstockton

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2014, 09:56:40 am »

Loving the new update LesPaul.  No issues here.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up