INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote video streaming feedback  (Read 2775 times)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
JRemote video streaming feedback
« on: August 10, 2014, 12:58:46 am »

Overall the video streaming looks promising and played back smother than via web gizmo on my iPad mini retina!

I noticed a few things:

1.  It takes a while to buffer and play the first frame. 10-15 seconds. I have a fast network with MC hooked up via gigabit Ethernet directly to the latest AirPort Extreme.
2.  While playback is smoother than web gizmo, it's still slightly choppy, and particularly noticeable when anything is panning. That could be because I only have an i5 processor, not sure.
3.  After a minute or so of playback, the video just stops and goes black. The video must be restarted from the beginning. This has happened in all videos.
4. The volume level is unusually low compared to other apps that play sound like safari, youtube and music. Playing at max volume on the ipad and jremote still males the video difficult to hear.

"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

fridden

• Recent member
Re: JRemote video streaming feedback
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 08:12:01 am »

Hi,
I actually don't get any sound at all when watching any kind of video (listening to just music works like a charm though, regardless of format, ie FLAC, MP3 etc)
Do I need to configure transcoding in some way on the JRiver side ?

/Fridden

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 08:37:44 am »

What kind of video files are you playing? How were they created? Do you get audio when playing through Web gizmo?

I don't think we can control the settings on the server given we only have three options on the client, but I could b wrong.

fridden

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 09:05:00 am »

Hi,
I have tried several different kind of videofiles, which all play fine through JRiver.
For example, AVI video kodek: MPEG-4 Xvid audio kodek: MPEG Layer 1/2/3 (mpga) (according to VLC)
Another had video kodek: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC, Audio kodek: MPEG AAC (mp4a)

They play fine with sound through Web Gizmo.

/fridden

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 01:53:31 pm »

Maybe try reinstalling the app first. Otherwise I think Lespaul or others will need to chime in.

shAf

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 07:21:55 am »

Overall the video streaming looks promising and played back smother than via web gizmo on my iPad mini retina!
I agree, and thanks for the landscape format ... BIG difference :D

I am however experiencing similar problems ...

I noticed a few things:

1.  It takes a while to buffer and play the first frame. 10-15 seconds. I have a fast network with MC hooked up via gigabit Ethernet directly to the latest AirPort Extreme.

I haven't noticed a problem with the video at startup, assuming the data takes time to load, but 15 minutes in the video (MP4) will stop as if the buffer is too slow, and then begin again (as if the buffer is working again).  I could accept this type of problem every 15-20 minutes, but the problem is once the "buffer" problem begins it happens again and repeats every 30 seconds.

However, I don't believe this is a "buffer" problem per se ... leastwise I don't believe it's a problem with my LAN's bandwidth ... i.e., I have no such problem if I use the Plex app with the Plex server.

3.  After a minute or so of playback, the video just stops and goes black. The video must be restarted from the beginning. This has happened in all videos.

Another reason I don't believe the problem is with my LAN is because after putting up with 6-8 "buffer" interruptions, JRemote will simply crash.  I haven't been successful with troubleshooting this any further because JRemote currently makes it impossible to advance to the point of the problems first beginning (e.g., 20 minutes into the video).

Please fix this, or allow us to troubleshoot these types of problems further (e.g., create a debug mode that would allow you to receive pertinent and useful information that we cannot provide).  JRemote's video is otherwise useless as is.  In the mean time, I'll come back with addition info if I believe it is pertinent ...

Thanks for this app! ... and TIA for its continued development!!  :)

iPhone 5s, and most recent version of JRemote (how do I find it's version?)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 08:57:15 am »

I would check the CPU usage on your server. It sounds like it is unable to handle the task.

shAf

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 09:03:12 am »

I would check the CPU usage on your server. It sounds like it is unable to handle the task.

My server has plenty of CPU and RAM, plus I doubt that you are implying the Plex server somehow operates more efficiently than the MC server(?)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

Zero_G

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 10:14:39 am »

My videos do the same thing by stopping after a few minutes of play.  LAN is not an issue in my home.  Something is wrong with this build.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 04:57:41 pm »

Guys, I will do some more testing on the video transcoding tomorrow and get back to you.
Also remember that MP4 files were also transcoded in the current release, in the new version out now (3.07) it is not.

Zero_G

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 08:21:54 am »

MKV files are still stopping after a few minutes.  Show Pop Ups is still persistent and always stays on.  3.07
Pages: [1]   Go Up