INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PCM>DSD Upsampling/Conversion  (Read 2826 times)

weedub

• Junior Woodchuck
PCM>DSD Upsampling/Conversion
« on: August 10, 2014, 06:05:12 pm »

Hi,I am in the hope that someone can answer these questions.

I have been experimenting with the PCM > DSD up-sampling feature of MC19
and have noticed a few things that are not clear to me.

Using the Asio driver for my DAC,if I
up-sampled 16/44 or 192/24 and set MC19 to 2 x DSD via Dop,I see an output on the display of my Dac,as DSD5.6
which is to be expected.

Then if I convert the file to DSD with MC19(and change the settings to 2 x Native DSD)and Bit-stream. And then play the file it will only output at DSD2.6,and shows in MC19 output as no change.

Even if the MC19 is doing a DSD64 conversion from the PCM file to DSD only,should MC19 if set to DSD 2x Native output at DSD5.6

I know that it is not really necessary to convert the file to DSD as it can just be up-samlped,
although I do not understand why the converted file if it is only DSD 64/2.8 will not
up-sample to DSD128/5.6

I hope someone understands my question/Thank you

elderavelas

• World Citizen
Re: PCM>DSD Upsampling/Conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 09:04:01 pm »

Bistreaming means the input is forwarded to the DAC with no changes. If the input is DSD64 the output will be DSD64 (or 2.8 MHz) even if the DSP was set to encode 2xDSD. To upscale DSD64 to DSD128 in real time you have to disable bitstreaming. All DSD inputs will be converted to PCM, processed (volume, equalizer, volume leveling etc.) and then encoded to 2xDSD.

If you want to convert your PCM files to 2xDSD (DSD128 or 5.6 MHz) you should change the encoder setting ("..." button) to "Double DSD (128fs / 5.6 MHz)". The resulting dsf file will be played at 5.6 MHz with bitstreaming enabled.

weedub

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: PCM>DSD Upsampling/Conversion
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 11:39:48 pm »

elderavelas Thank you,

for your very informative explanation/it is all clear now, found the encoder setting you mentioned also.

could be useful if I want to use it

Cheers and Thanks for your answer
Pages: [1]   Go Up