INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Stops When TV Screen Sleeps  (Read 7116 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Audio Stops When TV Screen Sleeps
« on: August 16, 2014, 11:05:33 am »

I've had the problem described in the subject for a while.  I have a computer connected via HDMI to a Sony receiver, and then to a TV.  The problem only happens if the TV is on.  If I never turn the TV on, audio will play forever.

I found this similar problem at Apple:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3466260?start=0&tstart=0

A user there recommended the HDMI Detective from Gefen.  It's $129.

I'm testing a Kinivo that cost $60.  So far, it seems to work.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91115.0

Re: Audio Stops When TV Screen Sleeps
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 12:20:54 pm »

Breaking the video connection is most likely severing the audio connection, since they are typically linked with HDMI.
The only fix would be to prevent the display from turning off or using a device like the Gefen to make the receiver think the display is still connected.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 01:10:11 pm »

One of the reasons I'm using USB audio now. HDMI is sadly not designed at all for audio-only applications.

For this particular problem, it seems to work in some hardware combinations, not in others...
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 03:01:07 pm »

It generally works well for me, but it does have some idiosyncrasies.

rec head

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 08:41:42 am »

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 03:55:06 pm »

Breaking the video connection is most likely severing the audio connection, since they are typically linked with HDMI.
The only fix would be to prevent the display from turning off or using a device like the Gefen to make the receiver think the display is still connected.

As in a dummy plug?
http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fit-headless/
https://rumorscity.com/2013/12/06/how-to-create-dummy-plugs-for-your-graphics-cards/
Looks like a relatively cheap way of running headless.

If you had a screen as part of the deal and went for a switch, then you could plug the headless plug to one port and switch to it when the monitor is shutdown.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 04:24:25 pm »

No, that would not solve the issue of HDMI running the audio clock off the video signal, thus requiring the video connection to be maintained.

Those dummy plugs are for headless computers where the graphics card is not initialized without a display connected on boot.

What something like the Gefen Detective device does, is make the computer think that the video connection is still active even when the display is switched off, so it should not drop the audio signal.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 06:02:43 am »

I have been experiencing issues with HDMI initialisation of Id ever since the early versions, but it works with workarounds (like having to boot it while the amp is not selecting the Id's HDMI input). However, the upgrade to Id's 3.16 kernel, which is currently in beta, breaks my ability to have audio fed into the amp beyond the first amp power-off or input change. Bob suggested that I may need a "dummy HDMI" device, like the fit-pc one (http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fit-headless/).

Did any of you successfully use this to overcome the problem Id has with some amps, in terms of the audio disappearing after the first power-off or input change of the amp?

dmarkovi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 06:21:33 pm »

I had the same issue with my setup. Liva pc -> receiver -> projector. When I would turn off my projector the audio would stop, which was awful because I want to listen to my music but not have to pay to replace the bulb that often. After messing around with settings I figured out that I can just open gizmo, connect to the liva pc and press play on whatever audio I want while the projector was off and it would work fine. If I turned off or on the projector the audio would stop.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 12:02:00 pm »

I had the same issue with my setup. Liva pc -> receiver -> projector. When I would turn off my projector the audio would stop, which was awful because I want to listen to my music but not have to pay to replace the bulb that often. After messing around with settings I figured out that I can just open gizmo, connect to the liva pc and press play on whatever audio I want while the projector was off and it would work fine. If I turned off or on the projector the audio would stop.
Yes, that's why you need one of these "HDMI Detective" products, so that the PC always thinks it's connected to a display, without knowing whether it is actually on or off.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 07:34:57 pm »

Yes, that's why you need one of these "HDMI Detective" products, so that the PC always thinks it's connected to a display, without knowing whether it is actually on or off.

I don't understand why a programmable device like Id cannot fulfil such a useful function: Apple TV, Oppo players, and a few other items in my setup do not need a HDMI Detective, but Id seems to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up