INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low Profile Graphics Card?  (Read 9179 times)

134LRS

• Recent member
Low Profile Graphics Card?
« on: August 17, 2014, 09:54:04 pm »

Greetings,

I am putting together a new HTPC and am looking for some advice.

I was given a Niveus Rainier, which has one of the most gorgeous cases that I have ever seen. The problem is, it is dated technology and doesn't handle madVR HQ very well at all. So I am giving it an upgrade.

So far I have the following either on hand or in route:

Intel i5 - 4690S
Asus z97 Gryphon
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD
SONY Blu-Ray player
8gb Ram

What I am looking for is some advice on a graphics card that is capable of running madVR on high settings. The catch is, it must be "slim" form factor.
My case is similar to a Streacom FC10 as far as dimensions go.

I know this question has been asked before, but most of the OP's were either unrestrained as far as size restrictions or the posts were dated. I appreciate any info that is given.

Thanks

Bill

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Low Profile Graphics Card?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 11:56:34 pm »

A low profile GTX750 is probably the fastest option.

134LRS

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 07:30:07 am »

I agree with your recommendation. The problem is, I have yet to find a "low profile" passive card. Those that are passive (Ex: Asus) are still to tall for my application. I have found some that have fans, but from the reviews, they supposedly unacceptably loud. Passive is not necessarily a requirement, it is just in my experience that the cards with small fans tend to be annoyingly loud.

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 12:18:50 pm »

While they are low profile cards, the heatsink seems to be rather tall to compensate for it.
Was it reviews for the 750 or similar cards that you read?
The 750 is about twice as efficient as other GPUs on the market right now, so it should run much cooler.

Other than that, your only option would be a slower card - or perhaps disabling the fan and underclocking? Depends how much airflow is in the rest of your case I suppose.
Nvidia cards all have thermal checks to prevent the card from damaging itself if you were to disable the fan.
Either of those options will probably limit the settings you can use with madVR though.

stuartm

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 02:40:39 pm »

My HTPC can only take low profile cards.  I see the recommendation for the GTX 750.  Will that card support Red October HQ?
I also see a Nvidia GT 740 GDDR5 card that is slightly less capable.  Do you think that card will support Red October HQ?  Thanks for any insight.

Specs: GTX 750: First generation Maxwell chip 1020Mhz clock , 80 GB/sec memory transfer, 512 Processors
GT 740: Kepler chip 993Mhz Clock, 80 GB/sec memory transfer, 384 Processors

fooze

• Junior Woodchuck
  • TURN IT UP
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 04:44:22 pm »

I just put a gigabyte gt610 in my new htpc. Passively cooled, should be quick enough for all 2d stuff.

I bought it for the HDMI audio outputs though, so didn't consider its performance with video.
Pages: [1]   Go Up