INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ISO to DSF failing  (Read 12470 times)

Matias

• World Citizen
  • Digital Audio
ISO to DSF failing
« on: August 20, 2014, 06:47:45 am »

I am trying to convert my entire library of SACD ISOs to DSFs in order to play from memory and tag better. Should be easy: filter my library for .iso, select all files, hit convert format (DSD 64, replace original file) and run. Would take several hours with CPU at 100% (i5 2500k) and noisy fan, but the next day all is finished, right?

But when I do this I get several Failed files for no reason. PC is stable, didn't shut down or anything strange. And if I go to the same album, select only the few failed songs and convert again (or the entire album alone again) it works. Rarely it fails again, but I re-retry again and it eventually works.

So what is happening? No error message to help.

Thanks.
1. Sonore ultraRendu - UpTone ISO Regen - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800 SL PRO - Thiel CS3.7
2. LG 65UM7470PSA - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NCore MP mch - Monitor Audio Platinum PL100+PLC150 - SVS SB-3000
3. RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP
4. TempoTec Sonata E44 - Audeze LCDi3
5. Meizu HiFi DAC - Moondrop Blessing2 Dusk

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: ISO to DSF failing
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:05:20 am »

This doesn't help solve your issues, but I would advise against using Media Center for this conversion.
The DSD encoding options are really for upsampling PCM tracks rather than extracting from SACD ISO.

When you convert from DSD to DSF/DFF in Media Center there is an intermediate PCM conversion step.

I would recommend against splitting up the ISO at all, but if you insist, I would then use the sacd_extract tool and extract DFF files. Do not use this tool to extract DSF tracks - the conversion to DSF is bugged.

If you then want DSF, I believe Korg Audiogate can perform the conversion from DFF to DSF without an intermediate PCM stage.

I'm not sure if there are any tools which can extract DSF tracks directly without error. I think there have been some Mac tools recommended, but not Windows.

Matias

• World Citizen
  • Digital Audio
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:14:28 am »

So tagging SACD iso does not save to the iso and converting to dsf is bogus. Wow, I am disappointed.

There is a free tool that convertsa single SACD iso to dff or dsf without PCM and no errors.
http://www.rendu.sonore.us/apps2.html

I guess I will lose the convenience of jriver and stick to ISO2DSD instead. :(
1. Sonore ultraRendu - UpTone ISO Regen - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800 SL PRO - Thiel CS3.7
2. LG 65UM7470PSA - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NCore MP mch - Monitor Audio Platinum PL100+PLC150 - SVS SB-3000

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 09:00:33 am »

So tagging SACD iso does not save to the iso and converting to dsf is bogus. Wow, I am disappointed.

There is a free tool that convertsa single SACD iso to dff or dsf without PCM and no errors.
http://www.rendu.sonore.us/apps2.html

I guess I will lose the convenience of JRiver and stick to ISO2DSD instead. :(
That appears to be a Java GUI for the sacd_extract tool. ("Conversion based on SACD-Ripper" at the bottom of the page)
I expect it will have the same problems splitting to DSF.

I prefer to have individual tracks, but with SACD, the best format is ISO.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 09:14:36 am »

I just converted all the tracks from an ISO to DSD and it worked fine.

I wonder what might be different?

Could there be an over-active virus or disk checking program?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matias

• World Citizen
  • Digital Audio
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 09:25:59 am »

I wonder too as the failure has no log for me to check. And again stranger still is that retrying works.
Anyway, I am not going to use its lossy conversion anymore.

tyler69

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 10:04:58 am »

This doesn't help solve your issues, but I would advise against using Media Center for this conversion.
The DSD encoding options are really for upsampling PCM tracks rather than extracting from SACD ISO.

When you convert from DSD to DSF/DFF in Media Center there is an intermediate PCM conversion step.

I would recommend against splitting up the ISO at all, but if you insist, I would then use the sacd_extract tool and extract DFF files. Do not use this tool to extract DSF tracks - the conversion to DSF is bugged.

If you then want DSF, I believe Korg Audiogate can perform the conversion from DFF to DSF without an intermediate PCM stage.

I'm not sure if there are any tools which can extract DSF tracks directly without error. I think there have been some Mac tools recommended, but not Windows.

Could you please link me to further informations regarding the bugged DSF conversion (as that's what I started doing)..?
Are you talking about the issue described here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd_extract-dsf-output-problem-18114/

Matias

• World Citizen
  • Digital Audio
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 11:09:53 am »

Well all I can see is this:
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q39/mreccius/jriversacddsffailuer_zpsb262cea4.jpg

I haven't read all the Lumin topic but his issue is with pops in the converted file, mine is with failing the convertion processes.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 02:52:37 pm »

I just converted all the tracks from an ISO to DSD and it worked fine.

My experience is that if one converts a few tracks, JRiver works fine.
If one does a bulk convert on a huge amount, one could get the same problem as Matias.
I don't think it is related to the format but maybe to running multiple streams.
At least since  I set JRiver to 1 at the time I didn't encounter this problem anymore

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 03:57:49 pm »

Could you please link me to further informations regarding the bugged DSF conversion (as that's what I started doing)..?
Are you talking about the issue described here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd_extract-dsf-output-problem-18114/
Yes, that's the problem sacd_extract has with DSF extraction.

Matias

• World Citizen
  • Digital Audio
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 05:09:18 pm »

Running single album almost always goes without failure. It is multiple albums at once that bugs stuff. Maybe related to mutli-threading.

Anyway won't use it anymore because it is a lossy ISO to DSF conversion. Frustrating though, I expect a lossless conversion. Why is it not so? Why use PCM in between?

Matias

• World Citizen
  • Digital Audio
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 08:41:58 am »

Can we expect a lossless SACD ISO to DSF conversion in the future? Without using PCM in between? Are you working on this?

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 07:57:31 am »

Ping? I agree that it would be nice to have a "lossless" conversion with no PCM in-between to do the iso to dsf conversion.

Thx folks
Pages: [1]   Go Up