INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing settings AND UI/views from a library restore  (Read 2120 times)

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Importing settings AND UI/views from a library restore
« on: August 21, 2014, 03:32:59 pm »

Hi

I'm setting up 5 HTPCs for friends right now. They all want exactly the same look/functionality that I have on my set-up.

For three,  I'm building their HTPCs, so its quite simple. Just restore a copy of my library to their copy of JR on the new HTPC, then select all the files in the library and delete them. Settings and zones would of course have to be set to their individual systems.All they to is import their media.

But two of them already have JRiver and do not want their tagging in their libraries messed up.

SO the question is, in the zip file of a backup, which files are for the UI setups, views, options,  smartlists etc. and could I just erase those that have to do with the database and the metadata? So, on restore, this would not mess with their tags, import dates, play counts et al.

If not, is their a way to append temporarily my mock library with their existing one.

The "settings" that you can port over now, I have to redo anyways, but to redo manually all my views, smarlists, menu favorites etc. would take forever.

Thanks in advance

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: Importing settings AND UI/views from a lobrary restore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 04:45:37 pm »

couldnt you just "hide" their existing library, import your library like you have been, then erase your stuff and reimport their library again (with the specific tag settings changed to their taste of course). that way their existing tags will remain intact but they'll have your setup

it's not the answer you want but it seems like less work to me...i re-import stuff all the time simply cause it's easier sometimes than the alternative.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Importing settings AND UI/views from a library restore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 06:13:55 pm »

I think you want to do what you're doing for the first three, but clear the library and then backup.

When you restore, you'll see an empty library, but your settings.

Try a few...

Tell your friends thanks, for us.

Buddha Boy

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 01:03:05 pm »

I had a failing disk controller and was advised to purchase a new PC.  Now I am in the process of restoring applications & data.

JRiver MediaCenter is a key component; but the prospect of manually reloading all the programs settings, views, configurations and playlists is daunting, if not impossible in practice.  I've read here that I can backup the old library and restore it to the new installation but apparently this "backs" up data directory location information as well.  Unfortunately all data locations have changed to accommodate the new hardware (SSD drives) and implement O/S (Windows 8.1) features such as Libraries.

Soooo; any suggestion on how best to recover my settings and configurations of MediaCenter but NOT the media (music files) information?

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 01:24:18 pm »

I had a failing disk controller and was advised to purchase a new PC.  Now I am in the process of restoring applications & data.

JRiver MediaCenter is a key component; but the prospect of manually reloading all the programs settings, views, configurations and playlists is daunting, if not impossible in practice.  I've read here that I can backup the old library and restore it to the new installation but apparently this "backs" up data directory location information as well.  Unfortunately all data locations have changed to accommodate the new hardware (SSD drives) and implement O/S (Windows 8.1) features such as Libraries.

Soooo; any suggestion on how best to recover my settings and configurations of MediaCenter but NOT the media (music files) information?

well you have two choices, either you do what is indicated above then clear the library (ctrl+A then delete from library only) -- set up your auto import options to inlcude the new paths and reimport everything. Some information such as impor dates, playing stats will be lost if they couldn't be embedded in the files.

OR You restore and you don't clear the library at all and repoint the database by selecting files and using the rename, move copy tool (Library Tools) and choosing the update database in the top drop down box.

I have some issues with zones on client restores. Still would like to know which files are just for the UI and database settings/Views. That would be the best to keep clients updated, IMO
Pages: [1]   Go Up