INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OGG FILES!!!  (Read 864 times)

aoty

OGG FILES!!!
« on: February 06, 2002, 05:48:18 pm »

Why don't the OGG files I created in MJ play in other programs (Winamp, Freeamp, etc.)?  OGG files I make in other programs work fine everywhere.  If I can't make "standard" OGG files, this is a problem.  It's the only thing keeping me from buying MJ.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:OGG FILES!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2002, 04:25:37 am »

What version of MJ?

Is your encoder plugin up to date?  MJ/Help/Check for updates
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

apathetic|PLS|sniper

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2002, 09:25:47 am »

I'm not sure I'd use MJ to encode Ogg's anyway.  The plugin is dated 12/13/2001 which means it's based off of vorbis encoder RC2 at best.  RC3 has been out since the end of December and offers quite a few improvements.

That said, in my testing all of the Ogg's I've encoded with MJ have played fine in Sonique and Winamp so you may want to make sure you have the newest plugin.

aoty

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2002, 12:53:11 pm »

I tried with version 7.2 first.  I got frustrated and deleted MJ and went back to Winamp   FreeRipMP3.  Then, I saw that the 8.0 beta was out so I tried it again and got the same results.  Why would such a cool program have an outdated OGG encoder?  That's sloppy.

Martin F

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2002, 11:06:31 pm »

I have about 4000 ogg files, all created by different builds of MJ7.
I have now moved to MJ 8, some of them work within MJ itself, and some just plain don't. (Yeah MJ created OGGs that even it cannot read!).

I am currently separating them out (using the useful rating feature), to see if I can isolate the cause, or at least rip them again from my originals.
Initial indications seem that it was a later build of MJ7 that has caused the problems.

Nikolay

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2002, 09:55:37 am »

MJ 8.0 uses latest version of Vorbis code (RC3)

Nikolay

aoty

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2002, 03:49:23 pm »

I don't know what I did, but my OGG files that I'm encoding now (in MJ) are playing everywhere.  I wish I could say what I changed, but I don't know what it was that made it work.  I've been screwing with this for days, on this go-around, that's not counting the attempts I made with 7.2 a while back.

Anyways, thanks for the input, even if I couldn't point to the post that made the difference.

Looks like I have to buy MJ now... but is there a Linux version???
Pages: [1]   Go Up