INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up JRiver in Windows 8.1  (Read 4561 times)

robgil

• World Citizen
Setting up JRiver in Windows 8.1
« on: August 28, 2014, 06:35:19 pm »

My current issue is having two accounts in Windows 8.1, JRiver shows up in both accounts.
Account 1 is where I initially set up JRiver and all is working very well.
Account 2 is JRiver as it was when it was first installed, how do I get the two accounts the same?

I understand I need to share my media files across the two accounts but even when connecting Gizmo in JRiver on account 2 I had to get a new access code.

Can anybody walk me through sharing JRiver settings across two accounts in Windows 8.1 please?

Also, can anybody walk me through getting JRiver media server to run on startup in Windows 8.1?

8.1 is all new to me and I am still finding my way around it.

robgil

• World Citizen
Re: Setting up JRiver in Windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 07:29:30 pm »

Ok guys, progress so far, Ive managed to share the files in Homegroups. I have also managed to share the library backup by right clicking in account one and sharing with account 2.
The problem is some of the tags in my music files and some JRiver settings didn't transfer across to account 2, is there a way to make this transition between accounts seamless?

I think the tagging issue might be down to the files being read only, when I originally tagged the files in account one when loading up the library I got an error message saying JRiver couldn't change the file tags due to them being read only but the tags changes stuck to the files anyway so I ignored the warning, could this be now causing the tagging issues?

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 02:17:19 pm »

Have the two accounts point to the same library, preferably not located under C:\users but at a different path and be sure that the two users have RW rights to it.

Presumably account 1 is the one currently working correctly. 
In account 1, open the library manager (file/library/library manager)
Select the correct library (presumably still Main Library ?) and click "Clone Library", specifying a correct sharable path and a new name (C:\JRLib for example, name it MySharedLib for example).
Switch to that new MySharedLib cloned library.
In Windows, give RW access to the new folder to account 2
In account 2, switch to that new MySharedLib shared library

Also, I had issues with MC server "keys" from client computers (or Gizmo), so I use IP_ADDRESS:52199 instead to register my server on clients.  The MC server network key is not working if JRiver servers or your Internet are down...

And finally, beware of terms used.  If you change a tag, it is changed in the library but depending of your settings, the tag change may not have been written to the media file.  "Update Tags from Library" and "update Library from Tags" are your friends here...

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 02:19:47 pm »

Tools/Options/Startup and select Run on Windows Startup: Media Server

CadErik

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 08:40:56 pm »

Have the two accounts point to the same library, preferably not located under C:\users but at a different path and be sure that the two users have RW rights to it.

Does this scenario allow the two users to have a MC open at the same time?
I managed to share a library using a shared path between 2 users but so far if one user leaves MC open, the other user can't access it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up