INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote Volume -in dB please  (Read 3709 times)

fidelious

• Recent member
JRemote Volume -in dB please
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:52:42 pm »

Hello,

I'd like to express my happiness using JRemote on iPhone 4S / iOS 7.

In view of Gizmo's volume control behaviour, I would like to suggest 2 of its features for an upcoming JRemote release:
1. Volume steps in dB rather than %
2. Use of iPhone's hardware volume buttons

Keep up the good work!

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
Re: JRemote Volume -in dB please
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 10:33:18 am »

1. Good idea, can at least make an option for it.

2. Volume buttons are only allowed for local playback. It`s possible to hack into the buttons, but it`s a good change the App would be rejected from the app store.

fidelious

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 11:32:09 pm »

Hi Lespaul,

thanks for picking this up!

My "hardware button" suggestion was also inspired by "Constellation", an iOS remote for XBMC Media Center. Apparently, they took the rejection risk. I now understand why there's so few iOS apps using the hardware volume buttons.

As an alternative to the hardware buttons, for setting 1% (or 1-dB) volume changes, maybe dedicating some space to a
  • and [-] software volume button would be possible. My volume slider settings in JRemote tend to jump up or down a few % upon releasing the slider button.

Hoping to be of help - and thanks again for listening.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 05:55:56 am »

Yes, I`ll consider adding +- buttons for the slider. Space is already limited, plus I also plan to add a "max volume" button/input.

I do understand that you want finer control if you have a volume sensitive device.

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 06:45:16 am »

Yes, I`ll consider adding +- buttons for the slider. Space is already limited, plus I also plan to add a "max volume" button/input.
That sounds like the worst idea. On a touchscreen, it is relatively easy to accidentally press buttons.
Having buttons which are potentially damaging like "max volume" should be avoided.

I would agree that the volume control in JRemote is too sensitive just now though. Adjusting the volume at half the current rate would be a lot better.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 06:52:31 am »

LesPaul,
Maybe you could use press and hold to adjust volume differently.  Press and hold on the right side of the volume bar could adjust volume up slowly.  Press and hold on the left side could adjust it down slowly.

We use press and hold in Gizmo.  Pressing and holding the Home icon in the upper left corner takes you to Playing Now.

Or allow a setting for volume granularity.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 07:34:45 am »

I also plan to add a "max volume" button/input.

I would be scared to use any interface that included a "max volume" button.  I have my DAC hooked up directly to the inputs of a power amp and "max volume" would destroy either my equipment or my ears (or both).  I'm with 6233638 on this one, a touchscreen max volume button would be terrifying for me (I'm clumsy); one of the reasons I like JRiver is that it offers features like volume protection that make it impossible to increase volume too quickly.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 08:57:05 am »

Just to clarify:

The "max volume" label was a bad name, its`s actually a volume limiter.

The button will be an option to specify that volume should never exceed a defined limit.
When you press the button, a dialog will open where you specify the limit, as well as a toggle to switch it on or off.

Jim, a tap sensitive volume slider may work fine for the +- behaviour, I`ll see how that will work out.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 09:18:56 am »

In Tools > Options > Audio > Volume one can set a zone to the Maximum Volume and the Internal Reference Level Volume. JRemote does not currently use this volume data that has been set for a zone. It would be better if your proposed Max Volume used/changed these values and if the dB indicator also used the Internal Reference Level Volume. See Volume in the wiki for more info.

moophone

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 07:15:40 pm »

lespaul,

What is the status for this feature? I had a freak incident while using JRemote, the volume suddenly went to full volume, despite the volume protection set at 80%

This was an edge case, as I have not been able to reproduce it. Normally JRemote respects the 80% limit I set in JRiver.

However - it did happen and because I am using an active system this is freaking me out that it will happen again. This could potentially cost me many thousands of dollars.

I would respectfully ask that JRemote also adds a volume limiter such that any request made out of JRemote never exceeds this value. IT would offer one additional level of protection in case some weird JRemote or gizmo bug bypasses JRiver default volume protection.

I have also asked the architect of my DAC for similar driver level protection, which they have agreed. With protection at the remote, media centre, and driver it should be an almost certainty that these limits will be enforced under all conditions.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 07:33:25 pm »

lespaul,

What is the status for this feature? I had a freak incident while using JRemote, the volume suddenly went to full volume, despite the volume protection set at 80%

This was an edge case, as I have not been able to reproduce it. Normally JRemote respects the 80% limit I set in JRiver.

However - it did happen and because I am using an active system this is freaking me out that it will happen again.
I've seen your other posts, and the most likely cause is that you accidentally changed the volume.  We haven't seen another similar report.

moophone

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 08:35:57 am »

Jim,

What do you mean "accidentally changed the volume"? Which volume?

If you mean I changed the windows system volume that would have no effect (ASIO Driver only)
If you mean changed the JRemote volume, it should honor the volume protection limit I set
If you mean change the ASIO volume, I wasnt using the computer, and that would require going into the driver control panel and changing it there. Note: I was using JRemote at the time.

I doubt the majority of folks here are using a dedicated DAC with ASIO volume control (which bypasses windows system volume), and using JRemote to control it. Just because there aren't any reports doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist... Just sayin :)

I've seen your other posts, and the most likely cause is that you accidentally changed the volume.  We haven't seen another similar report.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 04:34:02 am »

moophone, I see the need for this feature and indent to add it soon.
There are many other features to add, but it is on my to-do list.

moophone

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 12:05:29 pm »

Understood - thanks :) You are doing great work, and we all look forward to the other new features! JRemote is awesome!

B17NNS

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 02:08:31 pm »

Did this ever happen? I've managed to limit volume on my main player but not to my DNLA AV receiver. Just had a very scary moment with the volume slider in JRemote.
Pages: [1]   Go Up