INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac Library server with windows clients  (Read 4720 times)

meanlean

• Recent member
Mac Library server with windows clients
« on: September 05, 2014, 02:44:45 pm »

I consider installing JRiver on my Mac mini as library server. I also have 2 windows (8.1) notebooks which i use for headphone listening. Will this setup work and, if yes, under which conditions?
Mac mini | Logitech Media Server | Chord Hugo | Primaluna Dialogue Premium | Goldenear Triton 3

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Mac Library server with windows clients
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 04:11:07 pm »

Yes it should. Do you have something like Windows Media Player running on the notebooks such that they can stream from JRiver?

Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

meanlean

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 06:49:39 am »

That shouldn't be a problem. As a newbie i thought JRiver could be used both as server and as player (client-side). I'm not sure whether Windows media player delivers the same sound quality as JRiver.
Mac mini | Logitech Media Server | Chord Hugo | Primaluna Dialogue Premium | Goldenear Triton 3

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 08:11:24 am »

...I thought JRiver could be used both as server and as player (client-side)...
It can.  The wiki has a lot of information that would help.  You could start at Media Network.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 11:12:17 am »

Two potential things to consider with your proposed setup:

1) The Media Center licenses for windows and mac are separate; if you only currently have a license for one platform you'll need to buy the license for the other OS. In order to use MC as both server and client across OS's, you'll need the appropriate licenses.
2) JRiver for Mac is (at the moment) audio only; that means (to my understanding) that it can only work as a server for audio content (it cannot serve video).  If you only plan on serving audio content, this isn't an issue, but if you want to be able to serve both video and audio you might do better to situate your server on a windows PC for now.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 03:08:26 pm »

Hah hah - silly me - I forgot to mention using JRiver as clients on your PC. And yes you will need to purchase a license for the PC.

Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

Derekw14

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 10:12:44 pm »

I have a closely related question: I am using a Windows laptop running JRiver, and am trying to make it import/access my music library stored on an iMac.
Both machines are visible on the network, to which they are connected by wired / RJ45.
I can point JRiver on the laptop to the right folder of the Mac, but then the import process cannot find the music files. Do we need a separate license for the Mac?
Can you please help?
thanks!!
PS: it used to work with our old Windows desktop!
Pages: [1]   Go Up