INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem playing DSD files from NAS  (Read 4562 times)

Lucky72

Problem playing DSD files from NAS
« on: September 08, 2014, 05:19:28 am »

Hi all,
moving my music files from the pc (asrock ion 330) to more capable NAS (QNAP TS 221) I experimented that i'm no longer able to listen the DSD Files. Actually I'm using MC19 and a Matrix X-sabre DSD dac. Untill my files were in the pc's hd, there was no problem to play.
Now, playing PCM is OK, but when I try to play a DSD file, MC starts to play file (using DOP, as before, I did not change anythings...) but the DAC does not detect the DSD signal and no sound I can hear from loudspeakers. What's happened?
Is it possible that the transfer rate from NAS trought the lan is too slow for a dsd file (big around 150/200 Mb)?
Thanks for your help.
Ciao from Italy
Luca

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problem playing DSD files from NAS
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 05:29:03 am »

Are you using the NAS as a file server, or as a media (dlna) server?
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Lucky72

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 08:02:38 am »

Are you using the NAS as a file server, or as a media (dlna) server?

File server. I opened Windows Explorer and copied the files into a folder "Music" that i created in Multimedia folder.
Thanks again.
Ciao. 

Vincent Kars

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 02:10:46 pm »

File server. I opened Windows Explorer and copied the files into a folder "Music" that i created in Multimedia folder.
Thanks again.
Ciao. 
Sorry, maybe nit picking but this is probably about how you transfer your files to the NAS not about how JRiver pulls them from the NAS.

If you go to Options > Media Network >
Is "Use Media network" checked?
If so, does the PCM on the NAS plays if you uncheck this?

Lucky72

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 12:18:45 pm »

I continue playing PCM without problems even if I Uncheck "Use Media Network", but again DSD files do not play, or better, as I said before, MC stars to play but no signal arrive to the DAC! Is there someone that can help me before to change media player? Many thanks..

Jabs1542

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 05:46:39 pm »

You may want to consider running MC from memory mode.  Go to Task Manager and watch the Ethernet adaptor, you should see it moving data (data coming into the PC from the NAS box).

Running from memory mode I see a surge of data packets every time a new song comes up in the playlist. It's a quick burst and then MC plays the file (actually it is fluid and I never notice it - unless I watch the NIC card in Task Manager).

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 06:20:19 pm »

I would suggest copying a track to your HDD/SSD and test with that to see whether or not it is your network that is causing problems for playback.

If it's the network, increasing prebuffering to 20 seconds and disabling Memory Playback are the best conditions for network playback.

DSD is tricky though, and MC does not handle slow disk/network access very well during DSD playback.

marchmadness

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 05:37:21 pm »

I continue playing PCM without problems even if I Uncheck "Use Media Network", but again DSD files do not play, or better, as I said before, MC stars to play but no signal arrive to the DAC! Is there someone that can help me before to change media player? Many thanks..

I'm having a similar issue, but my audio files are housed on another JR19 machine.  I can play DSD64 files in DSF format, but for some reason SACD ripped ISO files won't play.  They appear to be playing, but there's no sound output.

Are you hard-wired or wireless?
Pages: [1]   Go Up