INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just pre-ordered my new iPhone 6 Plus  (Read 4241 times)

thm655321

• Junior Woodchuck
Just pre-ordered my new iPhone 6 Plus
« on: September 12, 2014, 07:29:36 pm »

Looking forward to JRemote landscape mode and local downloading to fill my 128 GB  :o.

Any idea if these will be implemented in the next version?

Thanks.

scubarob

• Recent member
Re: Just pre-ordered my new iPhone 6 Plus
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 10:51:38 pm »

I too as well look forward to a Landscape mode implementation.
Lespaul, will this be in a near release?

Thanks

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 06:08:52 am »

Definitely,

but I want to wait until I get my own 6 plus so I can test it properly.
Not sure how it should be laid out at this time. There is probably room there for a permanent left menu.

It is potentially a bit of work as I can`t use the current iPad layout, and the "Now Playing" view should get a new layout as well.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 10:42:04 am »

Here are some 3d prints I did for size against my 5s.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 06:29:19 am »

Its huge:)

I would probably be more than happy with the 4.7 size, but I need the large one for testing.

thm655321

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 07:27:13 pm »

Lespaul, can we also get a landscape mode for the browsing pages?  In my case in order to distinguish albums with the same name but with unique attributes I add information to the album name.  For example, a digital copy of vinyl Beatles For Sale at 24-96 and MFSL I would name Beatles For Sale || Vinyl 24-96 || MFSL.  This would distinguish it from another vinyl version (non-MFSL or 16-44 say).  I attach a screenshot off of my iPhone 6 Plus showing my Beatles For Sale browser listing (all are different vinyl rips with unique attributes).  As you can see, all four versions show up as just "Beatles For Sale || Vinyl...".

I appreciate that this is my unique way of doing things but it would be very helpful to have a landscape mode that would show long album titles, etc.

Thanks in advance.

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 08:57:55 pm »

trust me... it gets WAY smaller after a few days.  I almost returned it but gave it a week in Europe constantly in my pocket. Full screen brightness and tons of vids and pics, plus streaming audio from the US.  14% battery left after 3 FULL days.  This thing is money!!!
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 12:00:34 am »

trust me... it gets WAY smaller after a few days.  I almost returned it but gave it a week in Europe constantly in my pocket. Full screen brightness and tons of vids and pics, plus streaming audio from the US.  14% battery left after 3 FULL days.  This thing is money!!!
You are making me jealous ;)

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 08:01:03 am »

Lespaul, can we also get a landscape mode for the browsing pages? 

Not in this first release.

I will enable rotation for all iphones soon, but there are some issues to work out, so I decided to wait.

Remember that with the new version everything will get smaller.
At the moment, what you see is a scaled up version of a 4 inch display.

So you will see a lot more information also in the portrait view.

I personally love the 6 plus, and currently prefer it over the iPad for remote duty.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 07:05:13 pm »

One for the long-term possible things to implement I've been mulling over since I got my iPhone 6.

When I'm in my car and I'm using JRemote, I really actually love the scaled display.  It makes it have just a tad larger tap-targets onscreen, which makes it much more convenient than it was on my old iPhone 5 to hit the "next track" button or quickly rate a track (using my windshield holder mount thingy) when I'm wizzing down the road.

Of course, I don't want to normally have everything scaled.

But, I've been thinking... My iPhone knows when I'm hauling ass and probably traveling in a car.  What if JRemote could (optionally, since you'll have to request location permissions) sense when I'm going fast, and then scale the display to "big, clumsy mode" rather than have the smaller "fully utilized" display?  I imagine it might also be handy for people who use JRemote while bicycling and whatnot as well.

I know there are at least a few podcast player apps that are doing the same thing.  I think that'd be a pretty cool little addition.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 03:09:51 am »

Thats a pretty cool idea glynor:)
I have promised that mode for a long time now, so I will include it when I add the rotation support for iPhones.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 08:45:00 am »

Awesome!  :D

If you do it automatically based on speed, you'll probably want to put an upper-bound on the speed calculation.  If you're going 200 mph, you're probably on an airplane (and if not, you probably have other things to do than mess with JRemote).

It'll also need some kind of "exit" button (which stops that behavior entirely during this "session" of JRemote), for when you're a passenger.

thm655321

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 08:59:08 am »

Or just make it a selectable option.  You don't want the display reverting every time you stop at a light.

pcstockton

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 11:31:57 am »

How about a button that toggles between views?
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 12:33:18 pm »

How about a button that toggles between views?

You could do that, but then you're adding a button, and... You know, space, etc.  Plus, I won't ever "remember" to turn it on and off, and then it is one more thing to fiddle with while I drive.  That's fine and I won't whine I suppose, but it would be pretty clever to be able to turn it on and off automatically.

You don't want the display reverting every time you stop at a light.

That's easily solved.  You just have a timeout so it doesn't ever switch rapidly.  The location services API has a mode that only updates location "slowly" and "roughly" anyway (which saves battery) and that's probably the one you want for something like this.  You don't need turn-by-turn level GPS accuracy.  Just a rough measure of speed averaged over time.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 11:58:07 am »

The toggle of the view should probably be possible to switch manually. I guess some people would prefer larger buttons also in normal use.

In order to preserve space, maybe the display could also be changed by shaking the phone or something.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 05:25:33 pm »

The toggle of the view should probably be possible to switch manually. I guess some people would prefer larger buttons also in normal use.

Yeah. On second thought, I agree. You need an exit button anyway, so you might as well have a manual toggle somewhere (they can share button space).  Plus, some users may prefer it for other non-easily-detectable activities, like when jogging.

Still, auto activating it would be awesome.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 04:01:48 pm »

I may release a version without speed detection initially, just to get it out there faster.

BTW, would you need the stop button in this mode?
I am thinking play, previous, next, position and volume would be enough here. Also, swipe cover to change track.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 06:28:52 am »

I don't need Stop.

thm655321

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 06:46:28 am »

Now you just have to get Siri to tie in to JRemote so I can play music, change tracks, etc. over my motorcycle bluetooth headset  ;D.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 08:27:28 am »

That would be the best solution probably. Unfortunately, It`s still not possible to use Siri with third party apps.

thm655321

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 09:35:44 am »

Figured that was the case.

Speaking of bluetooth though, I still find that when JRemote playback over bluethooth gets interruped by a phone call or Siri after the call/Siri the music does not automatically start again (unlike other apps). For me this means I have to stop my motorcycle and manually restart the music.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 03:41:52 pm »

Now you just have to get Siri to tie in to JRemote so I can play music, change tracks, etc. over my motorcycle bluetooth headset  ;D.

The headphone button double-click and triple-click works for me just fine in JRemote on my Apple earbuds and my bluetooth headset.  Not all bluetooth devices do the button properly, unfortunately.  But most do.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 03:45:35 pm »

Speaking of bluetooth though, I still find that when JRemote playback over bluethooth gets interruped by a phone call or Siri after the call/Siri the music does not automatically start again (unlike other apps). For me this means I have to stop my motorcycle and manually restart the music.

This doesn't just apply to bluetooth.  JRemote doesn't resume or stop properly with playback through USB either.

Every single other music playing App I have on my phone (including multiple podcatchers) all stop automatically when I turn my car off, JRemote switches to the internal speaker on the iPhone and must be stopped manually.  Likewise, when I start my car with the phone plugged in, everything else resumes playback.  JRemote does not (and, in fact, this usually means whatever the last audio app I was using before JRemote, almost always iCatcher or Music.app) starts playing when I start up my car.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 04:08:59 am »

Yeah, I`m gonna have to fix the playback interruptions.
It`s because I use a different playback framework than standard, but I have a pretty good idea how to deal with it.

I promise to include a fix for it in the next release.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 06:05:43 pm »

Just a tip that could, maybe, help if you run into trouble...

Marco Arment (of Tumbler, instapaper, podcasting, etc fame) wrote his own audio framework for Overcast as well, and Overcast does handle this particular detail properly.  I see him respond to other iOS developers with technical things like this all the time on twitter.

If you get stuck, you could send him a message @marco on twitter and you stand a decent chance of getting a reply, especially if it is targeted and reasonably simple.

Pages: [1]   Go Up