INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request TV Guide  (Read 1577 times)

afzal

• Recent member
Feature Request TV Guide
« on: September 14, 2014, 09:51:33 am »

Hello,

I would like to request the following features, when looking at TV Guide.

1. Keep focus of the on the current time (so it's not going back and forth, going into past time or too far in the future. While it makes sense it should span across when title is covers couple of hours, but it should come back to the current time as you scroll to the next item)

2. Show date at the top next to the day (when looking at future times, it's hard to know if you're looking at next monday or the monday in two weeks)

3. When going to guide from watching live TV. Default the focus to the current channel (currently the TV guide resets to the first channel, so if you're watching TV channel 590, and many of the shows at particular time are in that range, you have to scroll through the entire list to get back to 590, or sometimes you just wanna know what's coming up next. Or you're just scanning channels and each time you make a selection, to go to the next page of channels when returning to the guide you have to start all over again)

4. Color code the guide (Movies, News, other shows etc.)

I have searched the forums and have asked some of the questions above, but did not find any answers. So I apologies if any of the above I stated does exist. Would greatly appreciate some directions to setting thinks up.

Thank  you,
A

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature Request TV Guide
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 03:36:50 pm »

I can't speak for development plans, I can only tell you what MC can do right now (to the best of my knowledge for Standard View).

1. Quick return to the current time can be done via the "Set to Now" button.

2. When I select a show by clicking on it, the relevant date is revealed in the main listing above the programme guide.

3. Channel numbers and their order of appearance can be customised via TV Options > Advanced > ... Edit Channel List
Should be pretty self explanatory once you get to that spot.

4. One for the devs but I would comment that they are dealing with global considerations. I'm not aware of there being an EPG standard that's international. To achieve what you're suggesting, I'd imagine that there will be practical difficulties to code in sufficient intelligence to make it work.

That said, if it can be done, I'm all for it.

MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

afzal

• Recent member
Re: Feature Request TV Guide
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:48:50 pm »

I can't speak for development plans, I can only tell you what MC can do right now (to the best of my knowledge for Standard View).

1. Quick return to the current time can be done via the "Set to Now" button.

2. When I select a show by clicking on it, the relevant date is revealed in the main listing above the programme guide.

3. Channel numbers and their order of appearance can be customised via TV Options > Advanced > ... Edit Channel List
Should be pretty self explanatory once you get to that spot.

4. One for the devs but I would comment that they are dealing with global considerations. I'm not aware of there being an EPG standard that's international. To achieve what you're suggesting, I'd imagine that there will be practical difficulties to code in sufficient intelligence to make it work.

That said, if it can be done, I'm all for it.

Thanks for the suggestions Astromo,

I guess I should have clarified, I would like these features in the Theater View. The whole point of having theater view is to be able to use a remote and not have to fumble around with keyboard in the dark.

Coming from Windows Media Center, I can say that all of the features are standard features. So hopefully we can get the developers to consider these features so that TV viewing with JR MC can be just as good and easy to use as is the music features.

And since Windows MC is being used around the world, I am certain there shouldn't be an issue with global considerations. In addition, I assume the developers should be able to configure these as  options, so the user can choose to use or defeat the features.

1. Specifically... when you're scrolling through the list, the focus sometimes goes in past so it's hidden behind the channel name, and the listing will stop scrolling, you have to click the right arrow and continue. Then if you're scrolling and the listing spans across 2-3 hours, the focus will go into the future and move the entire guide into future time.

2. While this may work in standard view, you get no date information on the Theater View.

3. Not sure what your setup is, but even after cleaning the guide listing and hiding channels, there are still over 300 channels in the guide. So when you are scanning through the channels to see what you're interested in watching. Its a PITA to keep scrolling from the top of the list down 200 channels and click and then 5 seconds later repeat the process and keep repeating until you get to the channel you're interested in watching.

4. As I mentioned above this can be a feature one can select, just like many other features.

Pages: [1]   Go Up