INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recordings and Subscriptions Help  (Read 2603 times)

afzal

• Recent member
Recordings and Subscriptions Help
« on: September 16, 2014, 09:27:01 pm »

Hello,

I'm new to JR MC... Trying to switch from Windows Media Center.

And I am really struggling with the amount of effort necessary to setup recordings.

In Windows MC, all I had to do was hit the record button twice and it would three red dots on the guide indicating the series (which I believe in JR is called subscription) would be setup. In windows guide it indicates when a show is repeat, so by default it sets the recording option to not record repeat shows (reruns).

JR MC shows different titles in the guide and same applies to the subscriptions. I.e. If I setup subscription for Wheel of Fortune lets say, it only record the specific title, so if in the future the title doesn't match it doesn't record these show. Am I wrong about this? When I look at "to be recorded" it's very sporadic not all the shows are being recorded.

Also, in Win MC I didn't have to specify channels, it would select any channel, and since I had two different types of tuners, it would automatically select one of the four tuners to record the show, here in JR MC, I don't see that option. I have to specify the specific channel, and that's a PITA. i.e I have Formula One setup for subscription, and since Formula One is broadcasted among three different channels I would have to know which channel is showing the race to records. And honestly I don't really know which three channels because I never had to worry about it, I know one but not all three. WIN MC would search the entire guide and any channel that televised the F1 race it would get recorded.

If there's documentation somewhere that someone can point me to that would be great. I'm going crazy doing these searches here and finding bits and pieces, rather then a true user guide that explains what each options does. It's really frustrating to say the least.

Thank you,
Afzal

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Recordings and Subscriptions Help
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 09:50:20 pm »

MC does have options to record either a single show or to subscribe a series.  In Standard View, the process is more controllable by users.  You run through a wizard that guides you through the process of setting up the recording.  In Theater View, when you choose to subscribe a show, the default behavior is to subscribe it using all default options.  You can turn on an option in Television options (called "Allow setting some details when scheduling recording in Theater View"), so that MC will ask you to choose a series of settings when you set up an subscription in Theater View.  

JR MC shows different titles in the guide and same applies to the subscriptions. I.e. If I setup subscription for Wheel of Fortune lets say, it only record the specific title, so if in the future the title doesn't match it doesn't record these show. Am I wrong about this? When I look at "to be recorded" it's very sporadic not all the shows are being recorded.

That is not true.  You can subscribe to the show.  You can also choose how frequently the show is recorded (all showings, once a day, once a week, etc.).  For example, the attached image shows a partial list of recordings I got, as a result of subscribing to "Law & Order".

Use Channel Grouping tool to group your channels of different source (cable, over-the-air, etc.).  Then only one of the equivalent channels shows up in the Guide.  MC will pick an available tuner to record the show.

Wiki on Television

Main wiki page

Wiki Index
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

afzal

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 10:00:11 pm »

MC does have options to record either a single show or to subscribe a series.  In Standard View, the process is more controllable by users.  You run through a wizard that guides you through the process of setting up the recording.  In Theater View, when you choose to subscribe a show, the default behavior is to subscribe it using all default options.  You can turn on an option in Television options (called "Allow setting some details when scheduling recording in Theater View"), so that MC will ask you to choose a series of settings when you set up an subscription in Theater View. 

That is not true.  You can subscribe to the show.  You can also choose how frequently the show is recorded (all showings, once a day, once a week, etc.).

Use Channel Grouping tool to group your channels of different source (cable, over-the-air, etc.).  Then only one of the equivalent channels shows up in the Guide.  MC will pick an available tuner to record the show.

Wiki on Television

Main wiki page

Wiki Index

Hi Yaobing,

Thanks for the quick reply. I think for now I'm going to go back to Win MC. In my personal humble opinion I don't think JR is ready primetime at least not for me.

In reality I purchased JR MC in hopes to avoid switching back and forth between settings and being able to operate solely from the remote in theater view mode, my primary reason came from the fact that I had just setup a second audio output using a DAC for music listening experience. WIN MC, which I have been using for past 4 years didn't have the ability that JR MC offered for zoning with different audio sources. So I would have to use and external program to listen to high quality music. But that seems to be less of a trouble then all the setup configuration so far I've dealt with in JR and 80% of the time I am using the system for TV watching and that's where this falls short for me. I have to give up too many conveniences that WIN MC offered, I really had high hopes for JR.

Perhaps I'll check back next year :)

Thank you,
Afzal

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 10:26:53 pm »

Use Channel Grouping tool to group your channels of different source (cable, over-the-air, etc.).  Then only one of the equivalent channels shows up in the Guide.  MC will pick an available tuner to record the show.

It is not a Channel Grouping issue I'm afraid Yaobing. This situation occurs when a program is simply shown on more than one channel, and may move between channels.

For example, MotoGP here in Australia used to be shown on Channel One or Ten. Both belong to the same broadcaster, and due to scheduling issues they used to move the MotoGP between the two channels, or sometimes show it on both channels. The channels are not equivalent and generally show different programs, so they don't have the same EPG and can't be grouped.

In that situation I set a program to record, then go into Standard View and add the other channel(s) that may carry the program to the Recording Rule.

In fact, for nearly all my recordings, except once off programs such as movies, I set the program to record via the Guide and then edit the Recording Rule that was created to meet my needs.

I looked at using the "Allow setting some details when scheduling recording in Theater View" setting but I found that it didn't meet my needs as it always pops up the questions for every new recording. It was clumsy.

Sorry Afzal, that is just the way it is.

Also, it is true that if you have "exact match" as the default rule for selecting a program by name to record, and the name changes, the program will not record. So if I want to record NCIS and the EPG provider changes the name to N.C.I.S., then it will not be recorded. Two recording rules are required to fix that issue. If the EPG provider simply decides to includes the program Sub-Title at the end of the Title, for example "NCIS" becomes "NCIS: The long road", which has happened in my EPG source, then again the program is not recorded based on a exact match of the name. In that case entering NCIS as the name, and turning off the "Require an exact name match" flag will result in all NCIS programs being recorded. Having thought of that, now apply the same issue to all the various CSI programs, if all you want to record is CSI: NY for example!

Again, the solution is to edit the Recording Rule in Standard View.

Finally the JRiver approach to documentation is to provide the Wiki and Forum. Frustrating when a manual should have at least the basic answers, but the forum is very active, and you get direct access to the developers such as Yaobing, so it isn't too bad most of the time.

I see you have decided it is all too hard Afzal. That is a shame, as some of the TV functions in MC are good, such as the way Time Shifting works. I used WMC for a short time, and yes it is easier to use generally, but it had drawbacks in playing some formats, managing movies from other sources, and so on. Plus I wanted an all in one solution for media, music, TV, movies, etc. There have been and still are plenty of really good TV recording applications out there to learn from. Let's hope MC makes a lot more progress in the next year. (Or month, or week even Yaobing!)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

afzal

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 10:52:30 pm »

It is not a Channel Grouping issue I'm afraid Yaobing. This situation occurs when a program is simply shown on more than one channel, and may move between channels.

You make some very good points RoderickGI,

I agree there are some great features in JR, unfortunately for me those features are less important, when the basics stuff is so difficult.

And as you pointed out I too started looking at JR due to limitations in WMC, as you read in my original post, there is no support for multiple audio devices. I did find the solution for this, which is to create a link within WMC to launch any of the following (JR, mediamonkey, foobar etc.) to play music and then return to WMC for most TV functionality.

But I wanted it still to be seamless so I decided to use MC full time for the past week. I had been trying going back and forth between the two for past two months, I just couldn't get use to the interface in MC. So I decided to just cut the cord and removed WMC and went full time to MC. But the guide layout (lack of color coding, not going back the last channel, not showing difference between series and single recording) confusion with name (why is it called subscription when in the guide menu it says series), not knowing which recordings will get recorded as you mentioned due to name changes, or channel shifting, and realizing the care it will require to upkeep the recordings just got overwhelmed.  

Again, I agree it is great to have access to Yaobing, who's done great work. But I guess I'm too old and since I am an IT Professional and have worn a just about every type of IT had in the last 20 some years, that I don't care to tinker with it too much anymore. I just want the things to work without tinker daily. Plus there's the wife factor :) the system has to be easy to use.

Sorry for the long explanation, and I hope I do not come across negative toward MC or anyone else for that matter.

I will still use the JR for listening to music  (mainly because I paid for it ) haha...

Thank you again to both you and Yaobing

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 04:06:15 pm »

In an upcoming new build of MC20, the following changes will take effect:

9. Changed: If user has specified a time to automatically refresh television programming guide, MC will refresh the guide on or after the specified time, or as soon as possible thereafter, without regard to whether the user has run EPG wizard recently.
10. Changed: Added television subscription recording option to search "All channels" for a given program, instead of just on specified channels.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 05:20:46 pm »

In an upcoming new build of MC20, the following changes will take effect:

10. Changed: Added television subscription recording option to search "All channels" for a given program, instead of just on specified channels.

Another good move in the right direction. This one I'll have too see how it goes, and when I may use it, as it will take longer to process recording rules. But it will help for ex-WMC users. Thanks.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 12:18:10 pm »

azfal, IMO JRiver PVR function is far superior to that of WMC and i will give you some of my experience (i used to use WMC but moved to JRiver) and advantages of JRiver: a) superior video quality recording, b) not tied to WMC proprietary stuff (format, directories, limitations, etc) so can integrate file structures much better c) much better tagging system (once you learn how to use it, so for e.g. i PVR a lot of OTA TV for my granddaugther and "group" it to her directly in the subscription) d) more flexible PVRing base choice (once/day, once/week, by name, etc.) e) better integration into Gizmo and Android devices (i believe WMC format really needs WMC to work well)... but until you get everything set up WMC is "out-of-the-box" easier to get running.  when i chose i chose JRiver as it is the superior product.. stick with JRiver is my rec to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up