INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: De-emphasis and pre-emphasis.  (Read 3817 times)

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
De-emphasis and pre-emphasis.
« on: September 18, 2014, 11:59:40 am »

I discovered long after I ripped my cds that some of them might have been issued with the pre-emphasis flag set, and so need de-emphasis on playback for the correct balance. This seems to have been an issue with some early jazz and classical cds, and would explain how a few of my rips sound horridly bright in a way I don't recall the cds sounding. I've had a dig about the forum without any clear result - what I'm really after is a de-emphasis DSP option to apply the correct equalisation. Or a plug-in or some-such. foobar (cough,cough) recognises the PRE_EMPHASIS tag and corrects; iTunes (believe it or not) applies de-emphasis on ripping. But I'm dyed-in-the-wool Media Center user .. anyone got any ideas?

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: De-emphasis and pre-emphasis.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 02:00:20 pm »

You can apply de-demphasis processing to albums using SoX.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sox/files/sox/14.4.1/sox-14.4.1a-win32.zip/download

To make this process easier, edit the "batch-example.bat" or create a new batch file using:

Code: (Batch File) [Select]
cd %~dp0
mkdir converted
FOR %%A IN (%*) DO sox %%A -b24 "converted/%%~nxA" deemph
pause

Then you can just drop tracks onto the batch file one at a time, and they will automatically be converted to a 24-bit file with de-emphasis applied, and placed in the "Converted" folder.

Unfortunately neither Media Center nor dBpoweramp (the tools I use) report whether a disc is using pre-emphasis or not, but it is generally very rare and only applies to older CDs.

Here is a list of discs known to use pre-emphasis, though I don't know how comprehensive it is:
http://www.studio-nibble.com/cd/index.php?title=Pre-emphasis_(release_list)

As far as I am aware, only two discs in my library use it - one of which is not on the list.

gappie

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 02:14:46 pm »

Here is a list of discs known to use pre-emphasis, though I don't know how comprehensive it is:

As far as I am aware, only two discs in my library use it - one of which is not on the list.
hmppfff i have this little alarm bell going.  :o and i did some panic reading, but i do not understand. so there are apparently cd's that have a pre_emphasis flag (  ? ) and it is set in the tags (where, on the cd, or the ripping program, but then, where did they got the info from). i have a bunch from what is on that list.. do i have to search in my attic for them to see if it are indeed the same cd's and do something with them and wash my ears.. i ripped all with mc..  :P

:)
gab

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 02:23:49 pm »

Generally it's only discs produced in the 80s that use it, and they're usually quite grating to listen to without the de-emphasis.

It's not something to be too concerned about.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 02:34:13 pm »

You can apply de-demphasis processing to albums using SoX.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sox/files/sox/14.4.1/sox-14.4.1a-win32.zip/download

To make this process easier, edit the "batch-example.bat" or create a new batch file using:

Code: (Batch File) [Select]
cd %~dp0
mkdir converted
FOR %%A IN (%*) DO sox %%A -b24 "converted/%%~nxA" deemph
pause

Then you can just drop tracks onto the batch file one at a time, and they will automatically be converted to a 24-bit file with de-emphasis applied, and placed in the "Converted" folder.

Unfortunately neither Media Center nor dBpoweramp (the tools I use) report whether a disc is using pre-emphasis or not, but it is generally very rare and only applies to older CDs.

Thanks for the sox magic. Will probably have to go that way. But notice that since version 14.2 dBpoweramp DOES show whether a disc is using pre-emphasis or not. It will show it in the "Track Technical" column of the main view, but this is not displayed by default. So, if you set the PRE_EMPHASIS tag appropriately, and use a player like foobar that applies de-emphasis all is well with playback. I agree that this might not affect many cds, but I suspect I have a good handful of classical rips and a few  Jazz that are affected and I'd prefer to play them back right!

gappie

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 02:35:43 pm »

Generally it's only discs produced in the 80s that use it, and they're usually quite grating to listen to without the de-emphasis.

It's not something to be too concerned about.
ok.. cool.. my wife always says, that when she met me 27 years ago i was cool because i had 10 cd's and a broken cd player (and a lot of vinyl  ::) )...

thanks... i can live with that

:)
gab

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 03:38:50 pm »

But notice that since version 14.2 dBpoweramp DOES show whether a disc is using pre-emphasis or not. It will show it in the "Track Technical" column of the main view, but this is not displayed by default. So, if you set the PRE_EMPHASIS tag appropriately, and use a player like foobar that applies de-emphasis all is well with playback.
Good to know - I must have missed that change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up