INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: NVIDIA GeForce 900 series  (Read 32372 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: NVIDIA GeForce 900 series
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2014, 08:49:52 am »

Yes. I can do all with my htpc and 720p60 material. I'm using 32 neurons.
I guess PCIe 2.0 is more of a bottleneck than I thought, or it's one of those compute scenarios where AMD is still faster.
Hopefully someone with a 970/980 and PCIe 3.0 can report back on their 720p60 render times when NNEDI3 chroma scaling, luma & chroma doubling are enabled.

Here are Anandtech's Compute benchmarks for reference.

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2014, 06:37:15 pm »

I guess PCIe 2.0 is more of a bottleneck than I thought, or it's one of those compute scenarios where AMD is still faster.
Hopefully someone with a 970/980 and PCIe 3.0 can report back on their 720p60 render times when NNEDI3 chroma scaling, luma & chroma doubling are enabled.

Here are Anandtech's Compute benchmarks for reference.
Again, I am a novice here but wouldn't the one test, the Sony Video Render be the most relevant? The AMD cards are faster in the sole video render test. Perhaps the same holds true of NNEDI3?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2014, 01:28:29 am »

No, its not relevant, unless you specifically plan to use the Sony tool to author videos.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2014, 09:04:03 pm »

No, its not relevant, unless you specifically plan to use the Sony tool to author videos.
Do you own the 980? If so can it in fact do NNEDI chroma scaling, luma and chroma doubling with 720p60?

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2014, 06:43:53 am »

There is supposed to be support for 4K decoding, but it currently crashes Media Center when enabling it in LAV Video.
ShadowPlay recordings (4K, 130mbps) are crashing Media Center for me even without hardware acceleration enabled.

I believe there is partial H.265 decoding support where it's done partly on the CPU and partly on the GPU.

I haven't done any more testing with video playback yet, other than noticing that my previous settings result in very little GPU usage at all, and the card stays in passive mode at all times, which is nice.
The only change I really wanted to see was using NNEDI3 image doubling with 720p60 content, but my initial testing suggested that even a 970 isn't fast enough for it.

What I did notice today is that my CPU was not turboing at all, and was staying locked at 3.3GHz rather than going up to 4.5GHz.
After clearing the CMOS a couple of times, things went back to normal and I'm getting much smoother performance in games.
It's still dropping to about 55 if I have everything maxed out, but reducing the anti-aliasing a little seems to fix that.

I really should have replaced this POS motherboard a long time ago. (ASUS Sabertooth P67)
I don't know if it's an ASUS problem, or simply that all P67 boards were terrible—I think it may actually be the latter—but I've had so many problems with it.
I saw a user on another forum post this, "Coming off an R9 290 to a GTX 970, madVR performance doesn't feel as robust. I'm getting 5-6ms higher render times at the same settings and more dropped/delayed frames reported.

Is it an OpenCL thing? My settings are NNEDI3 64 luma doubling, Jinc3 for image and chroma upscaling and spline 36 for down." However, he was able to adjust the settings to get good performance. Look at Rainy Dog's post
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228&page=1369

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2014, 10:12:57 am »

Sounds like madVR's NNEDI3 feature is one which still prefers AMD's compute design then.
While many tasks are now faster than or on-par with AMD, some still favor their cards.

It doesn't really surprise me to be honest, when AMD produce both CPUs & GPUs and are heavily focused on Compute performance/HSA, since they don't seem to be able to compete on raw CPU power & efficiency (Intel) or GPU power & efficiency (NVIDIA) any more.

For the time being, it seems to be working in their favor, as they seem to be the GPU of choice for Apple's high-end hardware right now due to the compute performance. That Mac Pro or 5K iMac would be a lot more interesting to me if they had Maxwell GPUs in them though.

bulldogger

• World Citizen
NVIDIA GeForce 900 series
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2014, 02:38:55 pm »

Rainy dog was able to adjust the power setting to get good performance. I think the 970 is fine. Nvidia is power efficient if you throttle power but that reduces performance. Try those adjustments and see if that solves your problems. It appears they are employing some tricks to get the lowest power usage.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2014, 08:19:59 am »

Out of fun I just built a "over-the-top" HTPC. In over 15 years I have tried pretty much everything out there for HTPC's and there're little combinations I haven't tried. Once the big case (origen T-21) to the "reduce to the max" SFF case. I even built HTPC in old pioneer bluray cases with LCD and everything. It has always been a struggle between performance and heat, picture quality and noise.

So just out of curiosity I bought a Raven rvz1 case and put a Asus GTX980 OC strix in (had to dremel a bit the power connector which comes slighty into the way)......................performance wise nothing to say...amazing : NNEDI 32 in doubling and chroma upscaling with jinc 3 taps in all other: No dropped frames what's-o-ever. 64 neutrons starts to drop few frames. BUT The real surprise is : up and including to "all-jinc" and NNEDI 16 chroma upsampling the cooler of the gtx doesn't even spin. The card hovers around 55°. Going to all-NNEDI 32 makes the cooler starting to spin but even then it's close to silent the card is about 65 degrees. I added 3 quiet edition corsair 120 fans to the case.

So what at the beginning was a "let's see" became one of the most exciting hardware combination do date.

Just wanted to share.

BTW the rest is a mini-itx asrock Z97 with a M2 Plextor+ 16MB RAM and a core i3-4130T

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2014, 08:55:55 am »

Rainy dog was able to adjust the power setting to get good performance. I think the 970 is fine. Nvidia is power efficient if you throttle power but that reduces performance. Try those adjustments and see if that solves your problems. It appears they are employing some tricks to get the lowest power usage.
My card is already overclocked to 1500MHz at the maximum power limit, and I did try disabling adaptive power management.

It doesn't help. I have to imagine that whatever RainyDog is watching is 30 FPS or lower, or it's due to PCIe 2.0 limitations.
720p60 content is a lot more demanding.

Daydream

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2014, 04:30:33 am »

or it's due to PCIe 2.0 limitations.

Thoughts on making the jump to next best... When Skylake gets out maybe?

« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2014, 05:16:35 am »

Thoughts on making the jump to next best... When Skylake gets out maybe?
Depends entirely on whether there are worthwhile performance improvements that justify the cost of upgrading.

While I may have seen some improvement moving to Haswell-E, it wouldn't be enough to justify the cost of a new system, and I don't see any point in spending money to reduce power consumption.

clausdk

• Recent member
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2014, 03:44:42 am »

I just bought an MSI GF GTX 970 and bitstream isn't working. Ideas?

I've changed output to 32 bit audio(which I just remembered) but output format is turned off.

The MSI card is very silent fans run at 1% at idle. Was playing BF4 ultra setting and the CPU fan was causing noise not the gpu.

Daydream

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2014, 05:54:28 pm »

Since 970 is my first Nvidia card ever I'm a bit puzzled: how does FLACCL work on it? On AMD side the OpenCL drivers came with Catalyst. Here not even installing the CUDA kit didn't help. Thoughts?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2014, 01:30:02 am »

The OpenCL and CUDA drivers are just part of the normal driver install.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Daydream

« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2014, 02:07:36 am »

Hmm, weird. I consistently get

"Error: no OpenCL devices found that matched filter criteria" when trying to use FLACCL (CueTools 2.1.5, command line, GUI, doesn't matter). It stands to reasons I'm missing some driver. But what, I tried everything I can think of. I'm curious if anybody has this problem with any 900-series cards.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up