INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote, iOS8, and iPhone 6  (Read 3044 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
JRemote, iOS8, and iPhone 6
« on: September 19, 2014, 11:33:11 am »

If anyone wondered...

Click to embiggen.

(On my 24" 1920x1200 monitor, the small version of that screenshot is roughly the size of the 4.7" iPhone 6.  Click on it for full res.)

JRemote, while not optimized for the iPhone 6, obviously, works just fine on the regular sized iPhone 6.  Text looks nice and sharp.  I can detect maybe a hint of fuzzy in the thumbnails, but it isn't gross by any means.  The built in speaker seems to be quite a bit louder than my old iPhone 5, but that could be the first-day-joy talking.

Incidentally, I've also been using JRemote on and off with iOS 8 on my iPhone 5 for about 2 weeks now (though not super-heavily) and it's been fine.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Re: JRemote, iOS8, and iPhone 6
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:47:40 am »

JRemote, while not optimized for the iPhone 6, obviously, works just fine on the regular sized iPhone 6.  Text looks nice and sharp.  I can detect maybe a hint of fuzzy in the thumbnails, but it isn't gross by any means.  The built in speaker seems to be quite a bit louder than my old iPhone 5, but that could be the first-day-joy talking.
Maybe it's just me, but that hurts my eyes to look at, as though I don't have my glasses on.
I can't handle the scaled modes on the Retina MacBooks either - only 1x or 2x are actually sharp.

I'm sure there will be native support for the new models added to JRemote soon anyway, but it confirms that I won't be getting a 6 Plus, since nothing is rendered natively on that display.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 02:52:45 pm »

Maybe it's just me, but that hurts my eyes to look at, as though I don't have my glasses on.

What do you mean?  My screenshot above?  Only the full res one is real (which is 1-to-1, but huge on your monitor, so not a good example for judging sharpness).

The other one is just roughly scaled in Photoshop. It is nowhere near what it looks like on the screen.

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 03:46:16 pm »

I assumed that your full shot was illustrating how app scaling looks on the iPhone because everything looks fuzzy and out of focus. (even when viewed 1:1 on a Retina iPad)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 05:26:51 pm »

Nah. I always shrink my screenshots. Just tried 1/2 way to make it almost the same size as my phone's screen. Didn't even try that hard, though, and it's not really possible to see it correctly (even on an iPad) because the DPI is wrong.

The retina iPad is lower DPI of course.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 02:02:15 am »

I have been hard at work the last couple of days getting ready an iOS8/iPhone 6 optimised version.
In addition to providing 3X graphics for the 6+, there are actually a few API differences between 7 and 8 that has taken some time to deal with.

There is a version out in a couple of days, and after that I will submit the iphone6/iOS8 version.

pcstockton

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 10:36:51 am »

Great news!  Thanks for the good work.

I can't wait to roll JRemote on the Plus.  Also with a 64GB'er, excited to be able to cache songs locally for long plane flights.

Cheers!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva
Pages: [1]   Go Up