INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sorting library view and smartlist according to expression?  (Read 1298 times)

amiti

• Recent member
sorting library view and smartlist according to expression?
« on: September 25, 2014, 03:03:31 am »

Hello ,

Is there a way to sort library views or smartlists  by an expression other than adding a permanent library field and sorting according to it?

Thank you.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: sorting library view and smartlist according to expression?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 02:37:03 pm »

Sure. In the drop down list on your current view tab, select "sort by" and then custom, and define whichever rule/expression that you want.

For the smartlist, under 'modify results', select "sort by" and enter your expression there.

amiti

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 11:02:22 pm »

Thank you for the reply Bryan , but when I say expression I mean using the formatting language of mc. I have followed your suggestions and couldn't find a place to enter complex conditioning and rules manually.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 11:16:03 pm »

Right click the Column -  Add Category - Click the Expression radio button.

2 areas in here, Expression to group by (how you want to group your files), and Expression to display (How you want them displayed).

For a smartlist you can write your expression in the editor (like above), copy it, and in the smartlist "Set rules for file display" use the import button and paste in you expression.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 03:14:52 am »

Thank you for the reply Bryan , but when I say expression I mean using the formatting language of mc. I have followed your suggestions and couldn't find a place to enter complex conditioning and rules manually.

using wizards are going to limit expressions with parentheses or misinterpret AND OR IF etc ...

Maybe this will help?

.... edit your smart list (or view) and click on Import/Export button. Do your expression here in the box and you will see multiple custom queries and stuff show up in the wizard prior to applying it

Pages: [1]   Go Up