INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Few questions to library from newbie  (Read 1613 times)

Reinhard

• Junior Woodchuck
Few questions to library from newbie
« on: September 29, 2014, 11:09:37 am »

Hi there,

I'm new to JRiver ;)

I don't understand the whole "library system" and can't find anything in the search function. Started JRiver for the first time and it automatically imported thousands of files which I never wanted it did. I find a lot of WIKI info how to import files but not a single one, how to perfectly remove unwanted files in the library or delete all and start a new manual import.

So my questions are:

1. If I only want to import one single folder for music (only want to play FLAC with JRiver and only want to see Folders with FLAC-Albums), how do I manage do delete the rest already imported?

2. Or ist it easier to delete all (how??) and start a new manual import?

3. Where do I find the "library" in the JRiver program folder? (Or am I not able do see/edit it at all?)

4. If I delete entries in the JRiver library (how?), I don't delete the physical music file, right?

5. Can I find any information to all this in the WIKI somewhere?

Really thanks a lot for help!!
Reinhard

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Few questions to library from newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 11:19:01 am »

Just clear the library and do a manual import.  It's under File/Library.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 11:30:21 am »

1. If I only want to import one single folder for music (only want to play FLAC with JRiver and only want to see Folders with FLAC-Albums), how do I manage do delete the rest already imported?

2. Or ist it easier to delete all (how??) and start a new manual import?
As your new, number two is probably easier and the better option for you. If your library were more mature, filtering the files contained within the library to show only those you would want to delete, and removing them from the library would be the preferred option. I mention this so you know you have this option if you need it in the future.
To clear the library, click "File > Library > Clear Library"

When the library is cleared, click on "Tools > Import > Import a single folder"

3. Where do I find the "library" in the JRiver program folder? (Or am I not able do see/edit it at all?)
The library folder is located in your Windows 'user' folder, under Appdata\Roaming. Though it is not advised nor supported for users to go poking around in there unless instructed to do so.

4. If I delete entries in the JRiver library (how?), I don't delete the physical music file, right?
Correct. Though when you press the delete button, you have the option to delete the physical file if that's what you actually want to do.

5. Can I find any information to all this in the WIKI somewhere?
Am not sure. Did you try searching?

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 11:31:39 am »

File -> Library -> Clear Library
and then import manually files/folders you want or use Tools --> Import

Library is just a database of your files. It doesn't contain any of your media files physically but only logical pointers to the files you have imported.

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 11:41:41 am »

The first thing is that it's probably easiest to clear your existing library if the first-use scan imported all media on your drive.
I really don't think that Media Center should do this by default.

I would suggest that rather than manually importing files, you configure auto-import for your music directory: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Auto-Import
This way it will automatically import any new albums or apply changes made to files in that location. (though it's recommended that changes are made via Media Center)
You can configure this so that it only imports FLAC files and ignores all others.

Pressing delete, or shift+del on your keyboard will bring up the deletion prompt.
You have the option to remove from library, which does not touch your files at all.
There are also options to remove from library and send to recycle bin, or delete the file.
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Move,_Copy_or_Delete_files_from_Library

The "library" in Media Center is not actually a library, but a database.
Unlike programs such as iTunes, Media Center does not create copies of your music files inside its own library folder.
It uses a database to store information about the files, and accesses them in their current location.

Reinhard

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 02:16:56 pm »

Thank you very much indeed for your help!!  :)

Nice community here  :D

Greetings Reinhard

Mike-H

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 07:46:06 am »

Another newbie here, on the same subject, how do I tell MC to create its library away from cdrive or a copy on another HD

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 08:53:23 am »

tools>options>on the left find (Library & Folders)click it...make sure (run auto import is checked) then choose configure auto-import and point it to the folder (not your cd drive)...under tasks uncheck if checked (ignore files previously bla bla bla) and be sure to check if not checked (Update for external changes)

now I have no clue as to what your talking about the cd drive....please more detail
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Mike-H

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 09:24:58 am »

Hi thanks for the info. Sorry it's not "cd drive" its local disc (C:) Mines only a relatively small SSD and I'm trying to store as much away from it as possible. It recently got corrupted by restarting the PC after a windows upgrade whilst my iPod was still connected, and I'm having to reload everything. So spreading stuff around the other HDD seems the way to go?

Mike

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 02:59:20 pm »

I C....i guess i read it to fast.....

you can also tell it where to store the backup files...and do it's ripping and well take a look at tools>options>File Location

“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up