INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: strange going on's with media server  (Read 1055 times)

tcman41

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Sound Surfing!
strange going on's with media server
« on: October 01, 2014, 06:29:03 pm »

I am running the latest version of MC20 on both my pc and laptop, without starting media server on the pc some how my laptop is still connecting and I am able to view and play all my media, can someone tell me what in the heck is going on?

Thanks
Terry

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: strange going on's with media server
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 06:53:05 pm »

Are you sure the Library Server isn't just running in the Tray?

On the server, is the Media Center 20.exe application running?  You can check Task Manager to be sure it isn't just hidden (or that Windows Explorer didn't bork up and hide various tray icons as it seems to always do).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 06:54:43 pm »

An alternative is that what you think is a client is actually using a local Library, and can access the files on the file share directly.

Also note that MC only connects to and downloads the Library from the Library Server when you first launch it.  If the client is still running, and the server has been shut down, the client will keep working fine until closed.  It won't be able to sync changes anymore, and anything you change will be lost, but it doesn't just crash or stop working.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 06:59:47 pm »

Do you have all your media mapped using a common path (i.e. M:/Music) and have the client set to play local files if available?  If you have M mapped on  your clients, then you can shut off the MC server application (not the server computer) and things will still play (except live tv).  Once the client is running and has pulled the library info from the server, it will be able to play from the mapped drive.

Alex

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 10:13:30 pm »

Do you have all your media mapped using a common path (i.e. M:/Music) and have the client set to play local files if available?

Yeah, that was my (not very well explained) point above.  It also applies if they're imported using UNC paths.

The play local files if available option is enabled by default, and I think it is reasonable to assume that it is enabled.  In fact, I can't think of a good reason that anyone should disable it, except maybe for testing the streaming functionality.

Local access to the files works better.

Pages: [1]   Go Up