INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NOT a jukeb problem-speed connection  (Read 1651 times)

zevele1

NOT a jukeb problem-speed connection
« on: February 02, 2002, 01:36:44 am »

zevele1 is the previous zevele[mess with Operamail and music01}

After 3 days,one sleeplees night and around 10 reformats,i tweaked my connection
BEFORE; around 800 kps -downloads from 15kps up to 50kps
NOW: around 1,2 mg- downloads from 190kps up to .......
But WHY do we need to do that?WHY Windows is not set as it as to be?
PS: i have now a safe easy ,if not fast,way of doing it for semi-idiots computer users like me

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:NOT a jukeb problem-speed connection
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2002, 04:10:30 am »

what?

Please Explain...
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele1

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2002, 04:52:59 am »

Why if you want to get a speed close to the one you must have,do you need to tweak Windows?
Why Windows is not set for you to get the maximun speed you can get?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2002, 04:56:47 am »

I think it also depends on who your getting the file from.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele1

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2002, 05:10:04 am »

Yes of cause.But before my tweak,i never got any download at more than 50 kp/s.Around 40kp/s from Emusic.And when streaming i had some rebufferings,not often,but i had
Whith my tweak i get a 200|PLS|kp/s from Emusic,i surf much more faster and never get any rebuffering
I just sent a key request for your program,i will let you know

gateley

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2002, 05:13:58 am »

Hi Zevele

(It's nice to see someone else use Opera!)

What tweak did you do? I'm not much at windows, but I don't think tweaking should change your tcp/ip speed much. So, tell us what your tweak is and prove me wrong.

j

zevele1

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2002, 05:48:45 am »

I am not mad at Opera6,I much prefer 5.But like an idiot i did not keep a copie of it
I use it a little like a Lynx browser,and printing a lot for friends,i can print without pictures,annoncements
Having now ADSL connection,i cannot say that Opera is much faster than others.But,the first time i used it,i still had a moden56kps
and Opera was very much faster
Concerning my tweaks.i can tell you the way i  toke but it is a long storie.
the tweaks are on RWIN-scaling-time stomping-acks-path mtu-black hole TTL and MSS
The difference is just FANTASTIC!!
Windows Me ,1,5MB ADSL connection ,PPPoE
There still few things not 100% fine ,but i just do not understand how to fix it

gateley

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2002, 07:53:55 am »

Some of those parameters are not familiar to me. The MTU is probably where you are getting your speed increase. Windows may be configured for a dialup size MTU instead of an ethernet MTU - I don't know.

But, tweaking TTL can lead to unexpected bad things. Changing this leads to delays in reporting failure, and increases network congestion in certain circumstances.

The last line of your message saying it still doesn't work quite right may be because of the tweaks. You may be gaining an edge in speed at the expense of bad behavior in unusual circumstances.

j

dragyn

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2002, 08:35:46 am »

I read somewhere on a tweaking site that you will only notice a difference in changing the RWIN as it's set for dial-up since most ppl have it.

dslreports has some good info and line speed tests.

I kept tweaking mine and the most I ever got was a megabit.

zevele1

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2002, 08:55:27 am »

In fact,my upload speed is slow,and i have some problems with "browser froze"I had it since my first day on Adsl,before the tweaks
It is something to do with the fact to have the"specify an Ip address" option for the USB Ethernet Adaptater.I have to change to any 192.... and 205... submark adress,but...no succes.
I do a lot of settings {not tweaks]on my computer to get a fast and smoth machine.I will say i am" maniac "about it
Since my tweaks i do not see any problems,any change of behaviour
Now, maybe if you run WindowsMe ADSL-PPPoE
you get the worst results and any tweak makes miracles.
I have my originals Windows setting writting down,i know how to restore them
PPPoE is not simple.Concerning firewalls,the Norton andMcAffe i have do not work with PPPoE,and since more than a week i try to understand what i have to do for set ZoneAlarm at the higger level

zevele1

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2002, 09:07:30 am »

draggn
I start with dslreports-i use a free "tweaker".With the help of dslreports,i tweak
I get an other "opinion" from an other site-do not have is name in mind,but have it writte it down-
At the end i remove the software and i did the final tweaks
Keep in mind that i had an average 700-800 speed with a 1,5 MG adsl connection.You may have a good speed from the start,so you cannot improve that much
if ,after any tweak you always get a 655...RWIN in the result,it means that your RWIN is block.You need to start by a tweak about it.
If you want to know about it,tell me i will have a look at my exercise book and  tell you the place to go

zevele1

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2002, 09:14:58 am »

by the way i get from 1MB up to 1,2MB.i am close to 1.3 from time to time ,but it is not the rule.To put at 10% up to 20% the part you will never get is realistic.This put a 1,5MB at 1,2-1,3 maximun speed
Pages: [1]   Go Up