INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver playback and Zone 3 options  (Read 2249 times)

lynes88

• Recent member
JRiver playback and Zone 3 options
« on: October 06, 2014, 08:11:08 am »

I thought I would try and tap into the knowledge here.  I am running a HTPC as my movie and audio server using MC 19 to serve the content.  My HTPC is connected to my Onkyo TX-NR929 with HDMI.

I have movies (both Blu Ray and DVD) stored on the HTPC and playback works great.  I watch in my Theater (136" diagonal screen) and the sound is awesome.  My challenges begin when it comes to multi-zone audio.

So my receiver has powered HDMI Zone 2 playback... so that works.  I can watch a separate video/audio source in 2 zones.  That works great so if the kids watch a Blu Ray in the Theater, I can watch/listen to video/music in Zone 2.  But for Zone 3 I seem to be hung out to dry.

My receiver has a powered zone 3 for audio, but I can not get my HDMI source (HTPC) to play in Zone 3.  I think it is an analog to digital issue but I am not sure what options I have?

My entire music library is on the HTPC.  My connection to the receiver is HDMI (digital) but Zone 3 seems to only work with an analog source.  Have you all worked around issues like this?  If so, how did you do it?

Even if it takes a separate component or converter...I just want to figure out what my options are....Any advice appreciated.  Oh, and the interesting thing that I can do, this receiver has Bluetooth capability - so when I connected my tablet using bluetooth and running Gizmo... I can get Zone 3 to work but not the other zones....it was just weird.

lynes88

• Recent member
Re: JRiver playback and Zone 3 options
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 03:43:56 pm »

I will reply to my own thread in case it helps someone else or is interesting.  What i managed to do was to stop and think about my situation and when I wanted to play audio in zone 3, which for me is an outside patio.

My compromise is to play the same audio in zone 2/3 at the same time....which is ok since this is likely to be in a party mode situation.  What I did was to take the optical audio out from the TV at my Bar, using a spdif adapter into CAT 5e cable back to the receiver and then using a basic digital to analog converter, took that spdif input, used converter and then RCA cables analog into zone 3.

I have to use the audio from the TV but since it is playing the same source I want on my patio/zone3 it works.  I still can't get eos remote to control the zones volume so I am playing with Gizmo remote which seems to work best.

Stereojeff

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 02:33:32 pm »

I found a different solution to audio for your Zone 3 where the issue is how to get digital signals into the Zone 3 analog input.  I purchased an inexpensive C-Media USB DAC.  Insert into one of the computer's USB ports and use a 3.5 MM stereo to dual RCA cable for the other.  Plug the RCA's into your Zone 3 audio input.  You can now set up a playback zone within JRiver that offers independent audio to your Zone 3 input.

Jeff

lynes88

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 01:50:26 pm »

Just saw this... great idea.  I think I will try that since I do not have to be tied to the TV for my audio... I will let you know.

thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up