INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Viewing PDF files and other assets in JRemote  (Read 44503 times)

Wybe

• World Citizen
Re: Viewing PDF files and other assets in JRemote
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2015, 07:19:20 am »

Something has changed, but not for the better. First of all, I think it's wise to included this setting in the tutorial (first post of this thread). This setting fixed the problem partially. I also did a new "Run import now", but some pdf files do not show up as an asset, despite the fact that all my pdf files are organized the same way: in one containing folder together with the album music files and a Folder.jpg. Even after a "Clear library" and a fresh Import, the same pdf files do not show up. I never had problems before with these pdf files. Any suggestions?

Wybe

• World Citizen
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2015, 01:53:45 pm »

Solved by ommiting brackets [] in the path names.

Also my problem has been solved by replacing the "&" for "And" in the path names. Are there any plans to fix this bug?

Boldlygo

• Recent member
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2015, 09:59:42 am »

I'm having an issue with viewing assets: running JRemote 3.22 on my iPad mini using iOS 9.1 and JRiver 21.0.23.
I'm starting to play with the asset feature and scanned in two album jackets. Called the files booklet.pdf and dropped them in their respective folders of the albums. Setup the Import options and it imported the files. Go to the first album and it displays the .pdf file just fine. Go to the 2nd album and it displays the .pdf from the first album. I cannot get it to display the .pdf file in it's own directory no how. I've rebooted, shut down the app on the iPad, re-run the Import and still it will not show the correct .pdf.
Please explain what I can look for to fix this. Thanks.

So playing with this some more - I deleted the .pdf file in the folder for this particular album and the asset is gone (after running Import). I then put back the .pdf file in the folder, re-ran Import, closed Media Server, closed JRemote and started them back up again. The asset does NOT show up now at all.

Update - I've been scanning many more CD booklets into JRiver and they all seem to be working OK - it looks like it's just that particular CD.
Marantz AV7702 Dolby Atmos, Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSDse, OPPO BDP-103D, Epson Pro Cinema 6010, McAllister Audio OTL-185 Amps & Pre-amp, Lexicon LX-7 Amp, custom-built media server, PureAudioProject Trio15B Open-baffle front speakers

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2016, 06:12:50 am »

I read through the previous posts but didn't get an answer for my problem unfortunately, so maybe someone can help:

I use current version of JRiver and jremote.

When I enable autoimport of asset's and don't limit display of assets in configurable jremote views, I have the problem, that in my jremote views all jpg's and pdf's are shorn besides the music files -> bad!
When I enable autoimport of asset's and limit display of assets in configurable jremote views to audio files, I also can't see assets in the play now view, where I want to have access to assets by the paper clip icon.

So my question is: is there no way of having access to the paper clip icon in play now view except if opening all jremote views to display all assets besides music?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2016, 06:43:44 am »

So my question is: is there no way of having access to the paper clip icon in play now view except if opening all jremote views to display all assets besides music?
sorry don't understand ... if you mean you only want to display certain assets (like pdf files but not jpgs?). If so other than, removing non-audio files that you don't want to see in the folder, no ... not that I'm aware of at least.

In terms of the views -- they are audio view right? so you wouldn't/should restrict other files at all .. in the view you should just set Media Type=Audio -- then all assets will show. But I've probably misunderstood ... (I never automatically import anything ... I see my pdf files)

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2016, 07:06:55 am »

What I want is, not seeing anything else than audio files in jremote views (by importing audio files and assets but selecting file type = audio only for views) but being able to see assets like jpg, pdf, png in "play now" view by paper clip icon. How can I achieve that?

Currently with the above configuration, no paperclip icon is shown anymore.

Arindelle

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2016, 07:23:11 am »

What I want is, not seeing anything else than audio files in jremote views (by importing audio files and assets but selecting file type = audio only for views) but being able to see assets like jpg, pdf, png in "play now" view by paper clip icon. How can I achieve that?

Currently with the above configuration, no paperclip icon is shown anymore.
are your files organized Album Artist/Album/  if so put the pdf/png files in the album folder. If you put your cover art in other places like on your system drive it won't show up. If you use the audio import option folder.jpg, you will at least always see that.

As for not seeing the paper clip .. I'm not sure ... unless you are on Android ... this only works for IOS devices, unfortunately. Maybe its because nothing is in the album folder? I always have at least one coverart file in each folder .. maybe if you have nothing it doesn't show ... soryy not 100% sure about why its not showing.  They don't have to be tagged to show, btw.

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2016, 07:28:53 am »

I do have iOS and I have assets in my folders...anyway paper clip icon doesn't show up at least as long as I limit my jremote views to show only audio files (necessary because otherwise I would see all assets in all views).

RolandG

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2016, 08:31:37 am »

are your files organized Album Artist/Album/  if so put the pdf/png files in the album folder. If you put your cover art in other places like on your system drive it won't show up.

It would be really helpful if MC/JRemote would be changed, so that assets in a subfolder are recognized and shown. Having 20 or so picture files in the album folder among the music files is just messy. Is it really not possible that assets in a subfolder of the album folder can be read via JRemote?

Arindelle

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2016, 08:45:31 am »

I do have iOS and I have assets in my folders...anyway paper clip icon doesn't show up at least as long as I limit my jremote views to show only audio files (necessary because otherwise I would see all assets in all views).
huh that's a drag. It only shows up from the Playing Now screen anyways near the Album cover to the right of the rating stars (doesn't show when you display the album cover full screen. OR when you hit the "I" info button and you have three boxes (no paper clip), that say Metadata, Artist Bio, and Assets.  You sure you are not looking for it where it doesn't show?? like in a view without drilling down to the tracks?

Arindelle

« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2016, 08:58:25 am »

Is it really not possible that assets in a subfolder of the album folder can be read via JRemote?
it associates the files that are with the tracks. If you have a multiple cd example

\Foxygen\
     \Foxygen & Star Power\
      \CD1\...tracks +assets
       \CD2\...tracks + assets

assets can be put in different sub-folders, because their tracks are there too. I don't share your opinion as it would be even messier having to have individual sub-folders for a 10 disk box set.  Or worse having to put each individual cd in a multiple album set as an individual album.

Maybe this could be done by tagging the assets, but I bet there are a lot of lazy people out their that wouldn't want to actually tag these files.

Edit: you'd also have to add this subfolder manually as I don't see how ripping software is going to creat using a mask or template the directory structure

RolandG

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2016, 09:39:51 am »

I usually have this structure:

\Album Artist\
     \Album\
         \Artwork\...assets
         \CD1\...tracks
         \CD2\...tracks

That's a clean structure, not messy at all. It ensures that all the assets are in one place and only once; they don't have to be in every CD folder. No individual subfolders, no CD folders as individual albums. If MC would read the assets folder as belonging to the album, which it does, it could then be associated with the album, not the tracks themselves. Thus, as long as tracks from the album are in "Playing Now" the assets could be accessed via the paper clip.

Of course, the assets folder must be imported either manually or via auto import. Ripping software doesn't scan and save artwork when ripping a CD.

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2016, 11:02:32 am »

huh that's a drag. It only shows up from the Playing Now screen anyways near the Album cover to the right of the rating stars (doesn't show when you display the album cover full screen. OR when you hit the "I" info button and you have three boxes (no paper clip), that say Metadata, Artist Bio, and Assets.  You sure you are not looking for it where it doesn't show?? like in a view without drilling down to the tracks?

no I really look where you mentioned in playing now screen (no full screen or view), some time ago the paper clip was just shown above the "i" info button. I'm not sure if I limited view display to audio files only at the time, but at least if I do now, I don't get a paper clip. When I go to the assets-view in jriver, all assets are shown.

jayla

• Recent member
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2016, 02:38:47 pm »

Thx a lot - this Tip really helps a lot and solved one of my "strange" problems  :)

Joachim

Bug report:

It does not work, when there is a & in the path :(
JRemote 3.22b325

Thanks a lot :)

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2016, 05:39:16 pm »

no I really look where you mentioned in playing now screen (no full screen or view), some time ago the paper clip was just shown above the "i" info button. I'm not sure if I limited view display to audio files only at the time, but at least if I do now, I don't get a paper clip. When I go to the assets-view in jriver, all assets are shown.

Yes I think everyone of us has hundreds of such directories where artwork is stored in a separate subfolder. I also hoped they are recognized and didn't get yet if it's not possible technically or if someone decided that this is not normal and necessary.

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2016, 05:41:47 pm »

huh that's a drag. It only shows up from the Playing Now screen anyways near the Album cover to the right of the rating stars (doesn't show when you display the album cover full screen. OR when you hit the "I" info button and you have three boxes (no paper clip), that say Metadata, Artist Bio, and Assets.  You sure you are not looking for it where it doesn't show?? like in a view without drilling down to the tracks?

I searched again for some time, but have no clue which of  the settings changed my paper clip to be missed. Is there anything else influencing this except choosing data and pictures to be imported?

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2016, 05:50:12 pm »

In case recognizing media in subfolders will not be implemented: does someone know an easy batch file or script to move all files from subfolders of a certain base folder to the base folder? I'd say 90% of my albums contain separate cover art folders.

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2016, 05:56:02 pm »

lespaul, I'd be thankful if you have any idea what could influence the visibility of the paper clip in play now view. I can't get it displayed anymore in lates final and latest inofficial version (-45)

Arindelle

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2016, 10:29:35 am »

In case recognizing media in subfolders will not be implemented: does someone know an easy batch file or script to move all files from subfolders of a certain base folder to the base folder? I'd say 90% of my albums contain separate cover art folders.
Well what you could do for cover art (depending on your actual structure of course, presuming that Album and Album Artist are contained in the path) is import all the media into the library ... at least temporarily. You could then easily tag [Album Artist] and [Album] using a mask created by the fill properties from filename (F12 key) and using the directories, instead of the filenames to embed the tags. Afterwards, you could set another template using the Move Rename copy tool.

Your choice afterwards to remove the files from the actual library or not. Of course this will not work for pdf files as you can't embed metadata in them (or at least I don't think you can.

I can't see how you would set up a script unless coverart and other assets have album artist and album as a distinct part of  their filename. But maybe there is a way via a windows utility -- that's beyond me tho

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2016, 11:23:24 am »

Well what you could do for cover art (depending on your actual structure of course, presuming that Album and Album Artist are contained in the path) is import all the media into the library ... at least temporarily. You could then easily tag [Album Artist] and [Album] using a mask created by the fill properties from filename (F12 key) and using the directories, instead of the filenames to embed the tags. Afterwards, you could set another template using the Move Rename copy tool.

Your choice afterwards to remove the files from the actual library or not. Of course this will not work for pdf files as you can't embed metadata in them (or at least I don't think you can.

I can't see how you would set up a script unless coverart and other assets have album artist and album as a distinct part of  their filename. But maybe there is a way via a windows utility -- that's beyond me tho

Thanks at least I think you set me on a path to find out why I can't see the assets anymore by paper clip icon.

What I did is I stopped to use JR to automatically tag my files during import, instead I let JR use the tags I otherwise put to the music files. Is this the reason, that JR also doesn't tag the assets anymore and the don't show up as they are "untagged" now? Would I have to manually tag them as I did with the music files?

But my 3 main questions are:

Does JR only show assets with paper clip due to tags and not (as I thought) due to the fact that they are in the folder structure of the played music file?
If assets need tagging, why were PDF files also shown with the paper clip icon previously in my setup?
Is there a way to have paper clip icon shown without letting JR use it's tagging and instead use external tag information?

I now think they stopped to be shown because I removed the checkbox "write file tags when analyzing audio..."

Arindelle

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2016, 12:58:41 pm »

Thanks at least I think you set me on a path to find out why I can't see the assets anymore by paper clip icon.

What I did is I stopped to use JR to automatically tag my files during import, instead I let JR use the tags I otherwise put to the music files. Is this the reason, that JR also doesn't tag the assets anymore and the don't show up as they are "untagged" now? Would I have to manually tag them as I did with the music files?

But my 3 main questions are:

Does JR only show assets with paper clip due to tags and not (as I thought) due to the fact that they are in the folder structure of the played music file?
If assets need tagging, why were PDF files also shown with the paper clip icon previously in my setup?
Is there a way to have paper clip icon shown without letting JR use it's tagging and instead use external tag information?

only one answer ... you don't have to tag the files -- I have plent of "folder.jpgs" and they show if they grouped together with the audio tracks in the same sub-folder. My workaround is just for you to be able to move them to this location, which needs the tags otherwise you have to do that for every folder.

I now think they stopped to be shown because I removed the checkbox "write file tags when analyzing audio..."

no, nothing to do with it. You do need an IOS device to show the paper clip (and I don't have an iphone6 so can't tell you if its linked to that), doesn't work with Android.

For info that option only affect that audio analysis, run in auto mode at import, writes the info to the tags. You want to have it written, unless the files are only going to be paid back within JRiver.  I never do this personally on import -- it considerably slows full imports down (video can take a real long time). I have an admin view and do analysis after import - always writing the tags to the file btw. IMO anything automatic like coverart, audio analysis should be turned off. This might be ok if you have small library, but its for couch potatoes and TV recording junkies  ;D

Why don't you do a test and move a file to the right location?? Maybe its not showing simply because there are no assets where it is expecting them to be?

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2016, 01:45:09 pm »

the problem is I didn't change anything and always had some jpg's in the music files folder and some in a subfolder. It just worked and suddenly it didn't work anymore.

I use an iPhone 6 with latest iOS and latest JR and JRemote version.

Arindelle

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2016, 02:55:35 pm »

the problem is I didn't change anything and always had some jpg's in the music files folder and some in a subfolder. It just worked and suddenly it didn't work anymore.

I use an iPhone 6 with latest iOS and latest JR and JRemote version.

well what do you want me to say? if you tested it like I told you. I don't have a clue frankly. sorry

Unless its with your iphone6 and the new os. got a friend with an ipad who could check for you? I thought they sorted the bugs, but maybe they haven't/can't/won't for assets ... I know they are not trying to do it for Android at present

Again you should have ALbum Artist\Album\tracks+artwork, pdfs. If you are moving around files reimport and then reboot/reconnect to the server form your iphone ... I'm sure you have already done this, but just to be sure.

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2016, 04:08:33 pm »

Thanks much for your help!

Yes, I have PDFs and jpg in the same folder as music files and yes I always had assets imported into the library without showing them in jremote views. It just doesn't help. I also have an iPad with the same result. Probably I have to wait for the next bug fixes.

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2016, 01:49:33 pm »

In the meantime I use the same library I used from my JRiver PC version 21.0.58 with the JRiver version for QNAP 21.0.54.

Using the QNAP version the asset clip works, using the PC version it doesn't (independant of the last few versions, so also with PC Version 21.0.54).

To me this is a hint that there must be a bug in the last few JRiver versions for Windows, as my settings on PC and QNAP are the same.

Any ideas for a fix?

Wybe

• World Citizen
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2016, 04:10:52 am »

Also my problem has been solved by replacing the "&" for "And" in the path names. Are there any plans to fix this bug?

Again, are there any plans to fix this bug?
Also, if this is a known bug, why not add the workaround to the tutorial in the meantime?
Now people have to scan the forum to solve this known issue.

Arindelle

« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2016, 06:03:05 am »

In the meantime I use the same library I used from my JRiver PC version 21.0.58 with the JRiver version for QNAP 21.0.54.

Using the QNAP version the asset clip works, using the PC version it doesn't (independant of the last few versions, so also with PC Version 21.0.54).

To me this is a hint that there must be a bug in the last few JRiver versions for Windows, as my settings on PC and QNAP are the same.

Any ideas for a fix?
hmm that conclusion doesn't make sense to me -- as it works for me (21.0.73 but it won't matter) for PC and it works on the qnap for you.  Maybe you are using a clone of the library but not using the same import config. For the asstes to show on IOS, they have to be imported into the library (PDF's also need the feature data checked; images imported have to include all extensions not just jpg ? like png etc.), could that be it??

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2016, 01:17:04 pm »

Thanks, not, all this was checked. I still can only get assets within the QNAP instance and there I just have the smaller problem of another thread I opened.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2017, 10:13:27 am »

I have a fix for this working in a test build.
Will need to do a bit more testing and then we'll update the Apple Store build.

Jim Linn

« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2017, 09:24:55 am »

Seems no any updates for this awesome asset feature for a long time.
Usually, there's some pictures/pdf files/txt files in an album folder.
But you can only view the assets one by one.
Click the assets icon, find and open the file you want, and then close it.
You need to do this repeatedly if you want to view more files associated with the album playing.

Going back and forth is really alloying experience.
It will be great if we could view the files by sliding left and right, just like viewing pictures in mobile phone.
Anyone knows if there's any improvement plan on this feature?

DJLegba

« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2017, 09:29:50 am »

Any chance this will be added to the Android version soon?

fantasia

« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2017, 06:55:52 am »

These settings do not work with me!

MC 22.0.97

The additional entry does not appear in the meta data!

What do I have to do to make it work?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2017, 11:03:15 am »

These settings do not work with me!

MC 22.0.97

The additional entry does not appear in the meta data!

What do I have to do to make it work?
The assets need to be in the folder with the associated album then you need to import the assets (e.g. import PDF's).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2017, 11:04:00 am »

Any chance this will be added to the Android version soon?
Perhaps, we'll ask Hendrik.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2017, 08:14:18 pm »

For the longest time, this worked fine and I really enjoy having access to my liner notes.  The other day, I created a new folder for the Chess Blues 4 cd box set and retrieved a transcript of the liner notes from http://aln2.albumlinernotes.com/Chess_Blues_1947-1967.html that I downloaded, saved as a PDF, and uploaded to the same folder as the audio tracks. This is a process I have done many times without fail, except for this set in this folder. I dropped another PDF in the folder (no good), and moved the Chess Blues PDF to a different folder (no good again). Yet for at least several hundred times before, this was no problem at all.

I can see the liner notes to the Classic Savoy Be-Bop Sessions, but not the Chess Blues, yet both liner notes are in the similar locations.

Any advice about why it is no longer displayed in JRemote and what I could do to restore this feature?

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2017, 05:19:19 am »

Mystery solved.

In the very first post, Lespaul writes:

"You should now see a view similar to the one attached. Under “Import these file types:” make sure that “Image” and “Data” is selected. Click “OK” and return to the main interface.

"

I went back into the auto import and noticed that data was deselected. Once I checked data, MC ran the auto import and the liner notes appeared. Now the other mystery is why was data deselected? Perhaps I inadvertently shut it off, but I don't recall doing so. Nevertheless, I can now see the Chess Blues liner notes.

All is well.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2018, 06:32:02 pm »

All was well, until now :(

My music library is stored on a Synology NAS. The NAS crashed and I had to rebuild it. Once that was done, MC didn't work for the long time (all documented at: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,116010.0.html.

Once I got MC back on my JRiver Id, my assets were no longer visible on JRemote (but at least the music is there). How do I bring back this really useful feature?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2018, 11:18:14 am »

All was well, until now :(

My music library is stored on a Synology NAS. The NAS crashed and I had to rebuild it. Once that was done, MC didn't work for the long time (all documented at: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,116010.0.html.

Once I got MC back on my JRiver Id, my assets were no longer visible on JRemote (but at least the music is there). How do I bring back this really useful feature?
AFAIK, the assets are just seen as accessory files in the directory where the music is.
Are the files there?
Are they readable?
Are you accessing the NAS as a share or as a DLNA server?

DJLegba

« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2018, 01:52:14 pm »

The assets have to be imported as data for JRemote to see them. That's for the iOS version only, which you must be using, as the Android version has never had this feature.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2018, 02:08:16 pm »

The assets have to be imported as data for JRemote to see them. That's for the iOS version only, which you must be using, as the Android version has never had this feature.
Thanks for clarifying this...

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2018, 07:23:14 am »

Back at this.

The assets are there and are located in the same folder as the music files, all of which were imported into MC. That was the process I used before the NAS crashed. But now the assets are not visible in JRemote- a really useful feature.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PJcKdc9mh8yW_8DsOmr4tbY-NSfLIswo/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MGOMzODGxsxbns6aykSIw_iMKtFPh58s/view?usp=sharing

One thing I can't do, and I thought this might help wipe the slate clean, is to delete the contents of my library and import everything from the NAS brand new. I'm not able to do that, and that still makes me wonder if things are set up properly since I have had so much trouble since the crash.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2018, 06:30:57 am »

Any suggestions as to next steps?

Thanks.

DJLegba

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2018, 08:04:59 am »

Are your folder import settings like this? You need to have the "Data" box checked.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2018, 01:23:59 pm »

Yes, data is checked. I have a screenshot showing that in my July 13 post.

DJLegba

« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2018, 01:47:49 pm »

Sorry, I didn't see the image in your July 13 post. You can confirm that the files have been imported into MC if you look for them in the "Documents" section. It looked like your other screen shot was from Windows Explorer, and not from MC.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2018, 01:51:56 pm »

I have MC running on the Id. Where would I look in the Id platform to confirm?

DJLegba

« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2018, 10:56:18 pm »

I have MC running on the Id. Where would I look in the Id platform to confirm?

Doesn't the Id have a view like this?

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2018, 06:56:11 am »

Yes, sorry. Here is a screenshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j8Cc6M_4RhxHHLC2ZyTXm78t1RjpRYFz/view?usp=sharing

The BouvierWeinberg library is my NAS name. Since I rebuilt the NAS following a crash, MC was linked to that and not the Main Library (which could be the reason for my issues). No files are visible when I select the Main Library.

One other weird thing which may help to find a way forward, when I search for recently added albums, my recent albums don't show up.

DJLegba

« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2018, 09:32:41 am »

You're missing the "Documents" item. Go to Tools | Options | General | Features and make sure that Data Support is checked.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2018, 04:14:26 am »

Data Support was checked when I went to Tools | Options | General | Features:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iAZqXrLW5SaTJpTtjy4okFCxQ5joH1RU/view?usp=sharing
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up