INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Databases -- Battle for Poll Position AllMusic vs. newcomer Musikki  (Read 4092 times)

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe

As i'm sure most of you are totally aware of AllMusic formally AllMusic guide. Probably the largest online resource for music thats around, backed by some big money and metadata from Rovi. But do you know Musikki ?

After winning a grant from MIT and securing additional 330000 euro financing, Musikki are pushing to become the 'IMDB' for music?! http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/02/musikki-secures-seed-cash-to-aim-at-being-the-imdb-of-music/. Starting off you get a full stream from a group of the week (last week Aphex Twin, this week Caribou). The layout is readically different. Not as much detail, not as easy to access all discographies Interesting interface, might not be for tagging fanatics like myself (no real detail on the albums yet).

But in their defense, it really is very in beta (relying on Musicbrainz? Last FM and Wikipedia is a bit limited  ... but you do have just about everything "social" including videos and streaming via Spotify, Rdo, and Deezer, and and even QR code generated sharing. Probably needs a bit more time to really see what they are going to do with this, but at the very least it will keep AllMusic on their toes.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

Interesting.

Still, Discogs and Wiki are my favorite sources for discography and release info.

Arindelle

Interesting.

Still, Discogs and Wiki are my favorite sources for discography and release info.
I like Discogs a lot too (wiki less); but I search a lot for soloists or band members and you have to dig into an individual release for that with Discogs - not sure this new site is really addressing hard core taggers, but I know Allmusic is taking lists from Discogs so the more the merrier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up