INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: questions  (Read 3616 times)

lijil

questions
« on: February 01, 2002, 11:18:11 am »

I have a few questions:

- Hasn't the addition of replay gain support made the intelli-volume feature redundant? Or is intell-volume a form of compression?

- Where is the replay gain info stored? I think I read somewhere it is stored seperate from the actual audio, and not tagged onto them. Is that the case?

- MJ gives me an error saying it cannot update the file because it is read only or in use, whenever I try to tag a file. Any file, at any time, of any type, individually or multiple files. Why?

Any info would be appreciated,
Thanks, Mike

Media Jukebox 8.0.196
WindowsXPpro
Hercules Game Theater XP
ATI Radeon 32DDR
Epox 8KTA2

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:questions
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2002, 11:23:05 am »

Please use a subject that describes your question.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Xstatic

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2002, 11:28:42 am »

come on Jim, you corrected him in a tough tone the last time. Now he is complying with your order not to ask more than a few questions, to list v. number etc.

How about giving an answer, and then giving the (relevant) tip about writing a meaningful subjetline?

Seems like a new user, who presents himself with good manners.

Sorry Mike, I don't know the answer to your questions, but stay tuned, the hardcore users/JRiver staff will probably
soon be there.

regards
jesper

lijil

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2002, 11:28:50 am »

Yeah I just clued in to what you meant in the other post. I just have a bunch of unrelated questions. No way to edit posts here either... sorry about that.

JimH

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2002, 11:36:53 am »

If the question has a subject, it's useful to other users who take a look through the forum.

If it has no subject, it's isn't.

>  MJ gives me an error saying it cannot update the file because it is read only or in use, whenever I try to tag a file. Any file, at any time, of any type, individually or multiple files. Why?

The files or folder are probably read only.  In Explorer, right click on the files or folder and check properties.

> - Where is the replay gain info stored? I think I read somewhere it is stored seperate from the actual audio, and not tagged onto them. Is that the case?

In the latest builds, it's stored in the ID3 V2 tags (I think -- Matt?).
Jim Hillegass

dragyn

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2002, 11:42:08 am »

Replay gain is stored inside ape/apl, and into the id3v2 tags for mp3. I heard it is also in the tags for ogg and some other ones that I can't remember. Most likely any tag that can support extended fields..

As for the read only, are your files across a network? I had that a few times and had to map the UNC name to a drive letter.

lijil

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2002, 11:48:17 am »

No, I've already checked the file attributes. None of them are read only. Not on a network either, just sitting on my hard drive here. That's why it is so strange.

I thought it would be a better idea to post one big thread with all my questions rather than a ton of single question posts. I guessed that at least a few of my questions have already been asked and answered here before, and I just hadn't found those threads yet by searching the forums.

JimH

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2002, 11:49:51 am »

Check the properties for the folders that contain the files.
Jim Hillegass

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2002, 11:51:22 am »

What format are the files?

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2002, 11:53:54 am »

Hi,
    Email on of the offending files to me here - john@ensemble.com and I'll see what I see...
Namaste,
John

lijil

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2002, 11:57:45 am »

Any file type at all. APE, MP3, & OGG is what I have here atm. I'm on WinXP which is quite weird in the way it sets file/folder attributes. All folders have the read only attribute set, although you can read and write to them anyway regardless. If you uncheck the folders read only attribute, click ok, and then reopen its properties it has it checked again. I think it's a quirk with the fact that all folders can be 'customized' now in XP.

dragyn

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2002, 12:06:24 pm »

User permissions? NTFS?

This is wierd. I never had this problem with local files unless something else was in fact using it or read only.

JimH

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2002, 12:09:14 pm »

Maybe some other app has the files open.  I've seen Windows Explorer do this when it displays a preview of an image.  Close Explorer and any other music apps.
Jim Hillegass

lijil

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2002, 12:14:35 pm »

Yes I'm using NTFS, it's the XP default. There is no sharing or anything enabled whatsoever. No other files are using these files. Winamp and other programs tag fine, it seems isolated to MJ only. All folders on the HD behave like this, not just my music.

Also, I tried putting replay gain onto an APE, and OGG and a WAV, and even though MJ saves it, it does not show up as a tag entry. (in MJ or WA) Are you sure it's added to the tag? I thought I heard MJ kept the info in its own database.

pduun

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2002, 12:29:09 pm »

I have experienced the exact same problem in both XP and 98SE. Seems like the problem is not related to the OS but to the version of in_mpp.dll you are using.

in_mpp.dll v1.7.9.e handles ID3v1.1 tags correctly whereas version 1.7.9f and above fails to write any ID3v1.1 tags at all.

1) Go to the plugin manager, uninstall the MP /MPC audio player (in_mpp.dll)
2) Go to the official olugin download page and download/install v1.7.9e

regards
Peter

lijil

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2002, 12:36:21 pm »

mpp as in MpegPlus? I'm not using any MpegPlus files, just APE/APL, OGG, MP3, and WAV.

And I just noticed this: I cannot get MJ not clear its file associations! If there are filetypes that are not registered with another program (unregistered), MJ will not leave them unregistered. The check boxes for MJ's default associations are always checked when I return, minus the ones I do have registered elsewhere (Winamp). I uninstalled and reinstalled MJ but it persists.

lijil

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2002, 12:44:04 pm »

The replay gain data was removed during the uninstall/reinstall so again it doesn't look like it is stored in the tags. I think I'd rather have it in its own database, and if there was a standard for a RG database it would be great so all RG supporting apps could all use and contribute to the same database file.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2002, 01:37:39 pm »

Make sure you enable "support extended tag fields" to enable storing of RG in APE and MP3 files. (in Options->General or File Properties) Also, if you get an error message, it means the tags failed to save for some reason.  If that's the case, it's probably a non-MJ problem.

> Hasn't the addition of replay gain support made the intelli-volume feature redundant? Or is intell-volume a form of compression?

The volume levelling aspect of intelli-volume is silly compared to RG, but the clip protection is still pretty nice.

Thanks for the questions.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lijil

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2002, 01:56:12 pm »

I can tag files with Winamp 2.78 and the default WinXP file properties dialog with no problems, it's only MJ that gives me the read only error! I tried enabling extended tag info but it made no difference.

JimH

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2002, 02:16:54 pm »

If you haven't done it, try a complete uninstall/reinstall of MJ.
Jim Hillegass

lijil

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2002, 03:08:33 pm »

I've tried that as well with no luck. It's funny that this is only happening in MJ, can anyone else confirm that they can use MJ to tag under WindowsXP Professional?

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2002, 03:09:31 pm »

Hey Jim, why don't you modify the Subject line - it is hepful and important to have a pertinent title.
But....I can't think of a pithy subject title that encompasses everything that was asked.

Just back to basics...
You do have both "file tag options" checked on under "settings - options - general" - right?

If not you will get the exact message that you describe.
The MJ database will be updated but the message comes up to say that misleading stuff about read-only and in-use.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2002, 03:23:53 pm »

>>Hey Jim, why don't you modify the Subject line - it is hepful and important to have a pertinent title
I wonder if the "GOD FATHER" has the power

I have never seen the subject line changed when in motion.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

lijil

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2002, 03:55:58 pm »

Ha! That was it, the 'update tag info when...' option. I had disabled that thinking MJ might modify tags without my knowing, which I do not want. Yeah the read-only errors are misleading aren't they!

Now why does MJ write empty tags (tested with ogg) instead of just removing the tag altogether? For example if you edit the artist field from within MJ to be blank, it still writes a artist="" tag to the ogg!? Empty year and track tags are written as "0" as well.

And specifically in ogg files, why must the 'extended' fields be written in that special MJ metadata tag? Why not just write the tags and their values directly, so other programs can use them? ie. ReplayGain="1|3|8388608|-1555|0|"

I also notice that any id3v2 tags written by MJ cannot be read by the WindowsXP properties dialog. In fact they will also break WinXP's ability to read the file's id3v1 tag! Winamp v2 tags are fine.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2002, 06:27:41 pm »

>empty tags

MJ absolutely can not make assumptions about when it can remove tags, because non-MJ read info could be in the tag.  Use File Properties->Tools->Remove Tags if you wish to remove tags. (not currently supported by our OGG plugin, but works with APE and MP3)

>And specifically in ogg files, why must the 'extended' fields be written in that special MJ metadata tag? Why not just write the tags >and their values directly, so other programs can use them? ie. ReplayGain="1|3|8388608|-1555|0|"

There's no such thing as "directly" for something like replay gain.  And if anothing programmer has a question, we'll be happy to answer it.  However, it is the _MJ_ meta data block.

>I also notice that any id3v2 tags written by MJ cannot be read by the WindowsXP properties dialog. In fact they will also break WinXP's >ability to read the file's id3v1 tag! Winamp v2 tags are fine.

We'll look into it.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2002, 01:46:10 am »

Any chance the "misleading" read-only and in-use messages (as above) can be removed?
We went through a range of expert opinion before we thought of that.

When a user has set "Update Tag info...." unchecked, these messages should not appear.

Probably some other message saying something like;
"File tags were not updated because of your settings......"
Pages: [1]   Go Up