INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XBox 360 - DLNA Questions  (Read 2789 times)

GadgetBoy

• Junior Woodchuck
XBox 360 - DLNA Questions
« on: October 09, 2014, 08:34:16 am »

I have a Windows Media Center HTPC install in my house with 5 XBox 360's connected to it.

I also have a second PC that runs MC.

I set up DLNA in Tools > Options for XBox. I can view my music in the XBox menu (but not within the Windows Media Center app on the XBox).

My Smartlists are not appearing within the Playlists section. I see the word "Smartlist", but it seems to contain all my music and no playlists.

A couple of questions:

How can I fix the Smartlist issue?
Is DLNA only available in the XBox root menu and not within the Media Center menu?
Can I push music to the XBox as opposed to pulling it from my MC Media Server? (I would like to use the XBox as a Zone and control the playback via Gizmo).

I have searched around, but can't seem to find the answers.

Thanks much,
GB
LazyAutomtion
www.lazyautomation.com

la·zy [ley-zee] - Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.
au·to·ma·tion [aw-tuh-mey-shuh n] - The automatic operation or control of equipment, a process, or a system.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: XBox 360 - DLNA Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 05:33:54 pm »

The XBox is a weird beast when it comes to DLNA.  It works OK, but only with the limited file types it can handle so you have to transcode most 'normal' stuff for playback.  The interface for DLNA isn't (or at least wasn't) very good.
The 'Media Center' section is only for Windows Media Center, no DLNA.

I have a setup similar to yours (WMC HTPC + XBox 360 extenders), and after a little bit of messing around with using the XBox as the central 'media device' a few years ago I gave up and only use them for games or TV.

GadgetBoy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 06:19:21 am »

Thanks for the response.

That stinks. In my last house, I had multiple amplifiers connected to my JRiver server with speaker wires running throughout the house. I was hoping, through DLNA, I would be able to stream my music and playlists through the XBox.

Have you tried streaming to an Android device and using another Android device to control music? I have some old Android tablets that I could connect to the amplifier that is connected to the TV and then switch to another input and pull up music with my remote control tablet and stream to it, if that's possible.

There is also Google's Chromecast, I guess.
LazyAutomtion
www.lazyautomation.com

la·zy [ley-zee] - Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.
au·to·ma·tion [aw-tuh-mey-shuh n] - The automatic operation or control of equipment, a process, or a system.

skarsol

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 01:57:42 pm »

Both have their issues but I have better luck with the actual streaming with Chromecast over the 360.
Pages: [1]   Go Up