INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Search Wizard query  (Read 1399 times)

crisp

• World Citizen
Search Wizard query
« on: October 10, 2014, 02:41:39 pm »

Hi

Can I used the Wizard to run a search on all names containing the word "rain" but not Lorraine, train, brain, etc?

Putting a space ahead of the word eliminates these but also songs that start with the word "rain" such as Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head.

Using quote marks, brackets and other suggestions in the Wiki generate no results.

crisp

• World Citizen
Re: Search Wizard query
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 05:22:32 pm »

Bump

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 05:39:09 pm »

The string "^rain" will return results that contain the word rain, but not Lorraine.

However it can't distinguish between "Lorraine" and "Raindrops," it will only return entries with the word "rain" by itself.

I don't know how one could construct a filter that would successfully distinguish between compound words that include "rain" and words that just have the pattern "rain" in them.  How would you construct a filter that would return "Raindrops" but not "Rainier" (the name)?

crisp

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 05:09:23 am »

Thanks. In answer to your question, theoretically I can imagine an option for multiple search queries, eg, all names containing "^rain"; "^raindrops"; "^raining", etc. But I don't know how that would be achieved.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 07:38:34 am »

Thanks. In answer to your question, theoretically I can imagine an option for multiple search queries, eg, all names containing "^rain"; "^raindrops"; "^raining", etc. But I don't know how that would be achieved.

The "or" operator would allow you to join such a hypothetical list if you want to create such a search, but you'd need to manually identify all of the rain derivatives you want included.  You could probably do something more sophisticated with the expression language, but virtually any higher level search would have a hard time distinguishing between Raindrops and Rainier (the name), etc..
Pages: [1]   Go Up