INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new to the River / Mc, have a ?? or 2  (Read 1730 times)

joespride

• Recent member
new to the River / Mc, have a ?? or 2
« on: December 11, 2014, 04:17:09 pm »

Hello all, (apologies in advance if this topic has been covered ad nosium)  

So I am coming from WMP and ITunes, all my files are lossless either WAV or AIF / AIFF, I have everything on an external hard drive.  Windows saw fit to mess with my files a bit and rename most of my track 1's as unknown.

I figured out how to edit the albums in my library putting in the correct song name, artist, album, genre, I have backed up my library what i would like to do is have that tagging information attached to the original file on my external hard drive.

I am pretty sure it is all saved in my library backup, but I know it is not attached to the files themselves

1 other thing I would like to know, I have another external hard drive that is a copy of the one i use for my music I tried to hook it up and play the music off it and jriver said it could not find the file to play ?  is there a way to get jriver to recognize the files on the backup drive.

Thanks for any help.

P.S.  Loving JRiver ;D

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • MC Nerd
Re: new to the River / Mc, have a ?? or 2
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 09:59:55 pm »

Do you mean you want to rename the files? If so just Right Click and select Library->Rename, Move, Copy Files... You can create rules for renaming files based on the fields stored in your library.

joespride

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 07:07:31 am »

the file names are correct now in library but I want the changes to edit the original file,   I have no idea what you mean by creating rules

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 08:16:26 am »

Perhaps you meant to write tags to files?

First, make sure tag-writing is enabled for WAV/AIF files:

Tools > Options > Audio > Advanced > Configure input plug-in... > Wav & AIFF input plug-in

Make sure the checkbox is checked (Write tags to WAVE/AIFF files (may not be compatible with all players)).

Next, select your files in MC, and right-click, choose Library Tools > Update Tags (from library).  That should update your selected files.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 08:19:40 am »

Are you saying that you want the tag information in JRiver's library database to be written into the files themselves?  JRiver supports writing tags/metadata to the files if the file type supports it.  Unfortunately, WAV files can be a little touch and go about tag support.  Check out this wiki entry for some details about the process in general: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Save_File_Properties_in_Disk_Files

To address all the tagging you've already done, select the files, right click, go to library tools and click "Update tags (from library)."  Try it on one or two files first to see if it works the way you want.  If it does work correctly, then you can select all files and do it all at once.  But my recollection is that WAV/AIFF files do not have very robust tagging support in the file format itself.  You may be better off converting to a lossless format that supports robust tagging like FLAC.

EDIT: beaten to the punch by Yaobing  ;D.  Make sure to note the part of his answer concerning "(may not be compatible with all players)"  That's because some players are not expecting WAV files to have tags in them at all.  If you hear little bursts of static on track changes, that's what's happening (your renderer is trying to "play" the tag data, unsuccessfully).  JRiver should handle it fine, but if you use DLNA players, etc. it may cause mischief.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 10:44:42 am »

the file names are correct now in library but I want the changes to edit the original file,   I have no idea what you mean by creating rules

Do you look at the link I suggested? If you have specific questions about that interface, I'm sure someone will be happy to help. The problem is you are not providing much information on specifically what your issue is. Also if you spend some time researching things before asking general questions you'll be much better answers from the experts here. Try searching the forums and the wiki.

joespride

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 03:03:51 pm »

Tried to search the forum and thats why i stated apologize in advance, always seems to be an issue with a new forum, someone gets offended if they happen to have seen the ? in a prior post....................I did not see anything that was or seemed relevant to my query

On the brighter side, I have figured out the tagging ? and I appreciate the help, now all I need to do is figure out how to set up a 2nd drive that i can switch to and have media center recognize it.............I wrongly assumed if I copied the music to another drive in the same format and called the drive the same name media center would recognize it as the original and play files off it

Thanks again for the help

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 06:25:40 pm »

Tried to search the forum and thats why i stated apologize in advance, always seems to be an issue with a new forum, someone gets offended if they happen to have seen

If you were referring to me, I wasn't offended - just trying to provide some helpful pointers to get what you want. I was trying to convey that you were not clear about what your issue actually was. You still haven't really answered that, and from your last post I'm even more confused about what your issue is. Unless you provide clear detailed information about the issue it's really hard to help.

I'm assuming you fixed your orginal issue, and now help with a second issue with an external drive? If the file paths are exactly the same, the backup drive would function exactly the same as the regular drive. So here to need to provide detailed information. For example "copied all the files and drive named the same" isn't detailed. Saying "I copied them from C/:<path to file> to the same path on an external drive. I hooked up the external drive and renamed it to C: so the path on the external drive is the same as the original. I get the following error: <exact error message>. " That is a lot more clear about what your doing. I have to guess and assume things in the previous statement. If you want technical help, you have to be technical in your explanation. The devil is in the details.
Pages: [1]   Go Up