INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Downconversion of DSD256 files  (Read 2590 times)

rotho

• Recent member
Downconversion of DSD256 files
« on: October 10, 2014, 06:03:34 pm »

Hello,

I currently have a Dac (Benchmark DAC2 HGC) that is only able to handle DSD64 data.

I downloaded several DSD128 and DSD256 files, and managed to play the DSD128 files without any problem, either by downconverting them to PCM with the Sample Rate setting "176.400 Hz for files > 384.000 Hz" in DSP Studio, or by downconverting them to DSD64 with the Output Encoding set to (1x)"DSD in DoP format".

But when I try one of those settings with a DSD256 file, I get the message "Something went wrong with playback.", and "Playback could not be started on the output ... using the format '176,4 kHz 2ch'." (when trying to downconvert to PCM), or "... using the format '1,4 MHz 2ch'." (when trying to downconvert to 1xDSD).

For my tests, I tried both the Benchmark WASAPI and ASIO Audio Devices, but that didn't make any change.

So, is JRiver only able to handle DSD256 files at their native sample rate, but not to downconvert these files ?
Or is it something that is fixed in version 20 ?

dtb300

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Downconversion of DSD256 files
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 08:58:21 pm »

But when I try one of those settings with a DSD256 file, I get the message "Something went wrong with playback.", and "Playback could not be started on the output ... using the format '176,4 kHz 2ch'." (when trying to downconvert to PCM), or "... using the format '1,4 MHz 2ch'." (when trying to downconvert to 1xDSD).

For my tests, I tried both the Benchmark WASAPI and ASIO Audio Devices, but that didn't make any change.

So, is JRiver only able to handle DSD256 files at their native sample rate, but not to downconvert these files ?
Or is it something that is fixed in version 20 ?

Works here with Version 19.0.163 down converting to 176.4   Sorry I cannot help with 20

rotho

• Recent member
Re: Downconversion of DSD256 files
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 02:51:44 am »

Works here with Version 19.0.163 down converting to 176.4   Sorry I cannot help with 20

I downloaded the same latest version from Version 19 (I was a few builds late...), and I have the same problem when trying to play DSD256 files.  >:(

May I ask what DAC model you own ?
Does it only handle DSD64 files ? Or also DSD128 ?

I have the impression that DSD256 files only work with JRiver for DACs that are able to handle this format, but cannot be downconverted in order to be played on DSD64-limited (or DSD128-limited ?) DACs...
But on the other hand, if you manage to downconvert DSD256 into PCM 176.4, that shouldn't be dependent on the DSD capacity of the DAC...  ?

What are your Audio Device settings ? ASIO ? WASAPI ?
And your DSP Studio settings ?

Perhaps the problem only happens with certain models of DACs ?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Edit : I just tried in Version 20 (Build 20.0.22) : same problem  :-[
Pages: [1]   Go Up