INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote Font Sizes  (Read 1323 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
JRemote Font Sizes
« on: October 13, 2014, 08:56:12 pm »

Can we get support for smaller font sizes in JRemote?

I recently received an old iPhone 4s as a hand-me-down from someone upgrading to a new one (apparently you aren't allowed to use a feature-phone in 2014) and on that 3.5" screen things are feeling a bit cramped.

This is a general issue that I'm finding with iOS on the device, even with the system font size set to the minimum.
I wouldn't feel the need for a larger screen if apps actually displayed an appropriate font size on it.
So far Reeder is one of the few apps which lets me adjust the font size to something which actually displays a reasonable amount of content on the screen at once (Reeder, Safari) and it would be nice if JRemote could too.

Even when compared to Apple's Mail app, JRemote's font is oversized.

Code: [Select]
List Height Item Height Items Displayed
JRemote 792px 140px 5.66
Mail 742px 122px 6.1

Ideally you would be able to fit a lot more with smaller font sizes:

Code: [Select]
Bold "A" Regular "a"
JRemote 23px tall (Est. 32pt) 16px tall (Est. 28pt)
Mail 20px tall (Est. 28pt) 14px tall (Est. 24pt)
Reeder 16px tall (Est. 22pt) 13px tall (Est. 22pt)

Note: Apple seems to be using Medium font weight for its "bold" text in Mail, rather than Bold.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
Re: JRemote Font Sizes
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 03:53:38 pm »

Do you mean a way to adjust font sizes inside the app or using the iOS font settings?

Most of JRemote use dynamic fonts, but not currently for the main album and track lists.
The reason is the performance penalty associated with using dynamic row sizes.

This performance may have improved recently, have not really tested since 7 was released.

I do intend to move over to dynamic sizing for everything eventually, but I am pretty sure the iPhone4s would struggle quite a bit more
when scrolling.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote Font Sizes
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 04:46:16 pm »

I am using the smallest font setting available at the system-level for iOS.
Mail was using this font setting when I measured the approximate font size to compare with JRemote.

Reeder uses its own settings rather than the system settings, which I assume is why it can go smaller than Mail or JRemote—but that would be the ideal size for me since I have no difficulty reading it, and it would allow for a lot more content to be displayed at once.

I'm not sure whether the system font scaling options specify an exact font size, or an offset from your base size.
Either would be fine, as long as the minimum size displayed is something like Reeder uses, rather than the current fonts which are huge on that 3.5" display.

As an aside, I'm surprised at how well everything seems to be running in iOS8 on the 4s, especially when I've had a lot of problems with apps on my iPad Air.
Pages: [1]   Go Up