INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM and Portable Operation  (Read 1284 times)

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
WDM and Portable Operation
« on: October 18, 2014, 10:08:30 am »

Hi there,

Am wondering ... how does the new WDM feature impact portable operation?

Thoughts:

-I have MC normally installed on a few systems, but in each case I actually run MC from a separate portable install location instead; this provides complete/discrete control over versioning and quick-regressions to/from zipped backups of the portable install folders.

-A portable install which is dependent on something installed on the host is no longer portable, by definition.  :)

Questions:

-Which type of "install" should I use to deliver the WDM into the host system, to suit my portable preference? The normal install, the portable install, or both?

-What impact does declining the Windows device install dialog during install have, either in normal or portable install scenarios? Does NOT installing it impair either form of operation?

-What's the best way to enjoy the WDM feature on a given host system where MC is normally installed, but not using the normal install -- instead using a portable install for day-to-day operation?

?

Thanks!

P.S. -- AWESOME FEATURE. Have periodically tried to MacGyver something similar with junk 3rd pty. apps for years!  ::)

Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: WDM and Portable Operation
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 10:22:41 am »

I'm not sure if a portable install will install the driver or not.  It probably will, but you'd have to test to be sure.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 01:53:39 pm »

Results of some tests:

Aborting (declining) the Windows WDM installation dialog during a Portable install routine appears NOT to have any negative consequences on the resulting Portable installation.

This applies to: (2) Windows 8.1 PCs, (1) Windows 8.1 tablet, (1) Windows XP SP3 netbook ... which I tested.

In all cases, a) "upgraded" a 20.0.22 pre-WDM version with 20.0.27, then "restored" my system partition from my latest partition image, effectively regressing the system back to a state before it had been exposed to the WDM attempt; the 20.0.27 portable install seems to work fine, sans WDM.

If I get time to try similar tests accepting the WDM device in Normal and Portable installs, together and individually, and look at the results of regression to both system and Portable install, will update this thread.
Derek Pert

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 01:55:05 pm »

Suggestion: Maybe make the WDM portion of the Custom installation OPTIONAL? Like a check-box? On by default?
Derek Pert
Pages: [1]   Go Up